Clowndogs 13 Days 4000 K's - NSW & VIC

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
This place was the first I could find and a little expensive at $109 but it was an oasis. Air-conditioning, Pool, Spa, TV, Running Water, Fridge, Electricity and a comfortable bed to name a few of the luxuries my cash had acquired for the night.

:wow: Didn't know Myrtleford had THAT sort of accom...:so

Each of these being solely the result of riding a motorbike and nothing else, for those of you with perverse minds. :rolleyes:

Suuuure....:bs

Again, good stuff, great pics :so:so

Has the Tawonga Gap recovered? (the road across the ridge between Tawonga and Bright).
'Twas a sorry sight last year

Del118.jpg

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
The Snowies is just as beautiful in summer as it in winter. I prefer summer time there in fact.

Great photos again mate.

farawayman

Long Timer
Keep it up Clowndog, looking good. :thumbs:
I had to work most of the xmas break and it's great seeing someone doing what I should have been doing, I think :evil:

C

Clowndog

I think it was better than that Pete, I don't recall riding through anything quite as severe as the photo you have there. That said, my brain probably switched to neutral for a while after the trials of Falls creek :D

C

Clowndog

Day 4 - Myrtleford to Eildon via Whitfield - Mansfield & Jamieson - 290km

mapday4.jpg

Squeezing every last ounce of luxury out of the motel room I slept late, ate a good breakfast and didn't saddle up until 10am :D

IMG_1876.JPG

Well rested and without the burden of breaking camp I felt fresh despite the heat as I made my way towards Whitfield.​

IMG_1879.JPG

I had initially planned to ride through to Mansfield and stop for lunch before moving on, but as I neared Whitfield I decided I would stop and see if I could locate some proper sunscreen. I only have three options when it comes to skin tone, white and pink and red, and my face was heading towards the later, fast !​

IMG_1880.JPG

Grape vines, mountains in the distance and an easy cloud or three, this place was easy on the eyes.​

IMG_1882.JPG

Departing Whitfield, sunscreen in hand, I somehow managed to veer off course to head up the King Valley Rd which later becomes the Upper King Valley track. After confirming my error I doubled back to locate the original route. This was another one of the rides listed in the Australian motorcycle atlas and I had not come 1500km just to bypass it due to a lapse in concentration :lol:

IMG_1884.JPG

As it turned out , the accidental side-trip was quite really a nice little road but I turned around before it went to dirt, snapping the odd shot along the way​

IMG_1885.JPG

As with other valleys, King Valley has it's share of vineyards but my better judgement decided against stopping for a sampler​

IMG_1892.JPG

This little critter waddled across the road a little way in front of the bike, timing his low speed dash to perfection. By the time I circled back for a photo he was casually walking into the bush on the opposite side, heading for a destination best known to himself.​

IMG_1893.JPG

After a quick scoot back to Whitfield I turned onto the correct road and began the climb​

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

Unfortunately, limiting a panorama shot to 700 pixels in width leaves you with a fairly small image, but I think it still worked well enough with this shot of Otis Rd. Next time i might try doing one with the camera on it's side, perhaps that will help ?​

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

Another area ravaged by bush fires but making a comeback​

IMG_1906.JPG

This goes a bit beyond leaf litter but at least it's easy to see​

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

I have a photo of this without the car but I think it helps to show the scale and majesty of these trees.​

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

I promised some funky trees with leaves still attached so hold on to your seats !​

IMG_1912.JPG

I took loads of pictures of this one, which really stood out. It's trunk was black as pitch while all the other trees in the area were sporting the usual assortment of brown trunks.​

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

Mansfield was a great lunch stop despite the heat. I was easily able to locate a shady parking spot, a nice shady park bench, and an air conditioned take-away shop, all within a stones throw. I took a lazy 90 minutes to nibble down a mexican burger and sip away a cold drink before heading towards Jamieson and my final destination for the day, Lake Eildon.​

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

For the second time today I managed to ignore both map and GPS and get off course, ending up on Rifle Butts Rd as I left Mansfield.​

IMG_1920.JPG

I decided to forge ahead as the road links up with my intended route after a short distance​

IMG_1922.JPG

Besides, the scenery wasn't half bad​

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

It wasn't long before I was back on the black stuff and back up to speed​

IMG_1925.JPG

Just short of Jamieson I turned west towards Lake Eildon as the road began to snake it's way across the mountains.​

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

Not wishing to walk the 20 meters from the parking area to take this shot I decided to try and park a little closer.​

Working my way from side to side across the track I was focused on finding a patch of ground level enough on which to park. So focused was I that I inched my way further and further down the path, blissfully unaware of the turning space rapidly disappearing around me. Eventually I found myself lodged sideways across the track with gravel under left foot, air under right foot and no room to turn and ride out. After a few failed attempts to reverse the bike I sat for a moment pondering my predicament, sweating like a demon, cursing my stupidity and balancing the bike. Getting off the bike was not a possibility as there was no way it would stand by itself so any manuvers would have to be done from the saddle. I began by clearing rocks away on my left side to gain some traction as my right foot was only hitting air. Next I began a series of backward heaves, each time jumping on the break to secure my newly acquired position and ensure the bike didn't roll back forwards. My last tactic, once I had sufficient room in front, was to rev up and spin the back wheel, bringing the back end around just enough to allow me room
to ride out and continue on my less than merry way.​

Good lil shot tho eh ? , worth it ! :D

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

Here is another typical stopping point for me. Steep decline, uneven footing, gravel underfoot. Some cats just don't learn, but I do love a good photo. I quite often ride along very slowly, waiting for all the components of a shot to line up just the way I want them to, and quite often I find a metre too far or too short and the components fail to lineup.​

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

I eventually made my way onto some long straights and began looking forward to calling it a day, I could tell Eildon was not far away now.​

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

I managed to keep costs down by opting for a hotel motel as opposed to a stand alone motel. $65 didn't buy me the same level of facilities but with a bar n bistro attached, it was hard to fault.​

IMG_1942.JPG

Just look at the furnace outside trying to claw it's way under the door and into my lime green hideaway. This is the second place I have stayed in named after a trout since I bought the bike, but who keeps score ?​

IMG_1943.JPG

Air-conditioning, hotel motel style​

IMG_1944.JPG

Hairpins right on my doorstep​

IMG_1945.JPG

As the day cooled off slightly I made my way to the bar n bistro for a well deserved cold one and a steak to wash it down.​

Tommorow is new years eve, with the mercury set to hit 41 stinkin degrees around 1pm. I only have a short ride of around 100k to get down to Mt Dandenong where I hope to take a look at William Ricketts Sanctuary, after which I will make my way to Team WTF headquaters for a good old chin wag with Pete, aka Glitch, before booking myself into a suburban Melbornian motel for two days of R n R.​

.​

C

Clowndog

Day 5 - Eildon to Mt Dandenong & Ringwood - 115k

mapday5.jpg

Only a short ride on the books for today but I managed to find my way onto the ever popular Black Spur, without even realising it! :D

IMG_1946.JPG

The strom was dressed and ready before I was, and eager to get a rolling !​

IMG_1949.JPG

I managed a nice early start to help avoid the heat but first I wanted to take a quick look at the Eildon dam​

IMG_1950.JPG

And here it is, Lake Eildon dam during magic hour. I make a mental note to try and discipline myself to rise early and capture this time of day more often, or at least try to catch the evening matinees.​

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

After a quick look around I hit the road and headed south towards the Black Spur and William Ricketts​

IMG_1958.JPG

I arrived at Mt Dandenong around 8:30 and topped up with a quick breakfast bar in between riding a few loops trying to locate the sanctuary. The Black Spur was a wonderfull ride and quite stunning.​

IMG_1959.JPG

I located the Sanctuary at 9am and noted the opening time as 10am. Oh well, time to kick back and enjoy the morning, and the views.​

IMG_1960.JPG

10am came and went, and a call to the number listed for information resulted in the sad news that the sanctuary would not be opening due to the severe heat conditions expected later in the day. A little disappointed, I cut my losses and made my way to WTF headquaters.​

Apparently, Goodie had been alerted to my impending arrive and promptly left the country :rolleyes:. Unfortunately for him, Pete was a little slower and was unable to escape. I managed to catch up with him for a few hours. Pete was a top host and a good sport, regaling me with stories and walking me through the genisis of the WTF stable. It was great to meet a tornanti in person and such an affable and passionate adventurer.​

Pete offered to join me for the ride out of Melbourne on the 2nd (day 7) and to show me some of the back roads he knows so well. I greatfully accepted and with that I left Pete to his business and settled into some local budget accomodation for a day and a half of relaxing nothingness.​

.​

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Great story, excellent pics....it's a joy to read and gawk over and over.

And thanks for stopping by, I certainly enjoyed the company :so

A

Austrommer

Great report Clowndog. You have certainly covered some good looking country.

I'm heading down to Phillip Island from Brissy for the Wold supers in Feb. Unfortunately due to distance and time a lot of the trip will be on the main highways. After reading your report I've decided to make up some time in the first half of the trip and then cover some of the roads you've mentioned, Wee Jasper Road, Elliot Way and Granya Gap.

So once again thanks for the report, I guess this is what it's all about, drawing on the experiences of others so we can all have a better time.

Iain

Top Bottom