AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #21
motorradrudi
Cruiser

Hi Pete,

great story (but I need more time to translate ) - wonderful pictures! I've seen you had a nice tour!
Thank you!

Greatings from germany
Rudi
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #22
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

With the weather a bit on the shonky side --big, black clouds crowding the otherwise blue skies--we're going for day-rides, which also means, that we won't have to carry the camping gear.

Many haver been up the Tawonga Gap, but not like this, I bet.

Burning tyrees dropping onto the road have molten deep gouges out of the bitumen, now the traffic peels big gobs of grovel out of those scars

Not too badly affected was the Hotham road, pretty good actually, let's have a poke around ....

Through desrted Hotham Height and out the other end towards Dinner Plains, the bush is alive...

...and just before gitting Omeo, it's down the Cassilis Road towards Swifts Creek, as that part of the Omeo Hwy is as boring as batshit.

Swifts Creek Bakery comes up trumps on the egg 'n bacon rolls, as usual before it's back the same way through Omeo and north to the Blue Duck Inn/ Anglers Rest.
Once more, visibility is stunning due top the dry, time for another twisties-party, they're tight enough to make it a challenge even on the little bikes....again, no traffic at all.

Despite the "closed till 4.30" sign at the door of the Blue Duck, the publican quickly checked on us, huddled for shade under the big poplar tree, transferring fuel again...

Another short piece of Omeo Hwy twisties....

...then up the Bogong High Plains Road into the back of Falls Creek, 30-odd k's of dirt....which wasn't the problem, but the corrugation shook the fillings out. Still, beautiful country up there, even if bone-dry.

Let's enjoy it....impressions along the way.

Close to Falls Creek, the dam feeds the snow-making guns during winter

Along the last few k's before the bitumen...

Somehow there was no hurry this time....no downhill scream chasing cages back to Mt. Beauty.
The supermarket was still open, some tucker and a few ice-cold stubbies found their way back to the tent, feet up....the 2 little bikes closeby like pets... talking into the night....
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Gentry
Cough..Gee seeing all these great pics..means that I won't have to ride these roads and see them for myself...cough.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradrudi
Hi Pete,

great story (but I need more time to translate ) - wonderful pictures! I've seen you had a nice tour!
Thank you!

Greatings from germany
Rudi
We've had a perler of a time (now...translate that one )
If it wouldn't have been for the bushfires and all the road closures, it would've been 2 weeks instead of one.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #25
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

"Just a half-day tootle---back early afternoon " ....taking it ewasy loading up the bikes and gear for the trip home tomorrow morning.

Ok then...

Many moons ago we'd done a road from MittaMitta to Tawong/ Mt. Beauty with the trusty Nissan 4WD, let's see if we can find the start of it from the Mt. Beauty side.
The guy at the servo mumbles something about Trappers Gap and lots of dirt/ bushfires/ wildlife and all that, but describes the "entry" from Tawonga....we'll give it a whirl.

...and it turns out to be quite a good track.

Lots of leaflitter though, which makes things pretty skittish sometimes....Ooooops Skittish alright, sideways in fact

I promised "WE DELIVER"....into the last wombat hole, if needed And yo, that was Yours Truly scuttling that postie

No harm done but most probably prevented worse, coming around a sharp righthander 2 bends down and....

And it's getting HOT...popping out the MittaMitta end of the road...time for a break, the sweat is starting to run.

No doubt what this place is...

As things took longer than planned, it's onto the Mitta Mitta back-road, right along the currently flooded Mitta Mitta River, following upstream to Eskdale, a beauty of a litle wiggler...

Not wanting the long way around through the Lockhard Gap and the dreaded Red Bank Road up the Kiewa, we'd found a tiny, wiggly line on an old Shell map the night before, leading across the range from Eskdale into the Kiewa Valley around Dederang.

Time for asking around in Eskdale to get some local info.
The pub sounds a logical choice ....and it's cool !!

"Oi, Geoff...here's a bloke for you, wants to go across the range to Dederang, you know every wombat-hole up there?!!"

Geoff looks trustworthy enough after his umpteenth beer that morning...
"to the end of the bitumen... Smyth Rd....T-intersection turn off right, right?...then a bit left, right?
2 cattlegrids, then turn off across the NEW grid and follow the road, get's you right over the top...."

Piece of cake, right...right? I'm riddled....but what the hell. right?

Off we go... to the end of the bitumen...there's a bit of dirt, a side-road to the right, then more bitumen ahead....where to now??
An rusty, clapped-out Commodore comes along, stops...the guy's a bad stutterer, conversation impossible, we might finish up in Afghanistan.....

A minute later a guy in thongs and T-shirt comes barrelling out of a Sahara dust-storm on a 250 Yammie, stops...."I'm not from here"
Ahhh, Christ !!
Thinking about timing, petrol, distances...we'll just turn into that side-road, a sign proclaims Smyth Rd., which was part of that clear-as-bells jumble in the pub... through some farming country, up a side-valley, across some cattle-grids, but no NEW grid, hmmmm.
The road finishes a few k's later at another grid and some fencing "Private Property, Keep out !!!".....and just to the right is a brandnew, galvanised-sparkling cattle grid....framed a couple of barely legible signs, one displaying "Dederang".
Got it !!