Tobogganing on the strom

stevegt738

Tour Pro
What a difference 5 weeks make
IMGP3270.jpg

IMGP3275.jpg

As much as I liked Limestone road, I don't think I'd ride in the snow. Too cold for this little black duck. :cold:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
If they were hard panniers they would be in the bin by now...

That's a myth...,.,.when it comes to plastic.
Agreed, if we're talking alum-boxes (they'd most probably be still ok for the rest of that trip, but not waterproof/ dustproof anymore due to being crumpled to the shitter).
There's a heck of a lot of plastic-panniers out there which are deeply scratched and scored but are otherwise perfectly intact.

Our own Hepcos amongst them.

The weight of the arse-end of the bike is fairly negligable (as it's also supported by the footpeg/s and crashbars)

nev

Super Térrarist
That's a myth...,.,.when it comes to plastic.

That's true. The quality of plastics has come a long way. The stuff they use in car fuel tanks can survive massive impacts while maintaining structural integrity, and the plastics in the car bumpers will return to it's original shape even after a substantial shape distortion (and in many cases, the paint will too). I think it's the welds on the pannier racks and the mounting lugs for the cases which are most at risk.

Of course it all depends on the type of impact or shock which they receive is important too. The BMW panniers on the F650GS twin are well designed to survive slow speed drops and tipovers, without damaging the mounts or the racks, but due to their design if you hit anything substantial with them, at any sort of speed (especially when they're fully expanded) and they're like two cardboard boxes held together with clag and as we saw when Jo hit the truck in Arkansas they literally exploded on impact.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
.... There's a heck of a lot of plastic-panniers out there which are deeply scratched and scored but are otherwise perfectly intact....

....The quality of plastics has come a long way. The stuff they use in car fuel tanks can survive massive impacts while maintaining structural integrity ....

I agree with the above. When the Mighty CB hit and slid along the deck a while ago (it didn't look all that mighty at the time) all that happened was a scrape on the Oggy Knob (supporting the front of the bike) and a scrape on the top box (supporting the back of the bike).

The top box (Westem - similar to RJays box) still opens, closes & seals like it should. The mounting rack (a hybrid of Givi, Westem and Ventura parts) bent and twisted a bit. I straightened these bits as best as I could and they are okay now too.

Last edited:

bjay

Getting the hang of it
2gtp2j8.jpg

Like these from the same trip ,, beans and soup all over the place, stuffed both sides must have flipped over , I didnt see the stack , I was up ahead

B

Rosie

Just through the door
Very impressive. :wow:

It's a ride I would love to do.........in spring or summer. :thumbs:

+1...especially the spring or summer bit. ;)

Awesome report! Love the snow shots.:clap:

You must've been freezing in the tents. What kind of a sleeping bag do you have?

bjay

Getting the hang of it
I have a -10 sleepin bag and a swag ,, See that bit of tin in the first shot like a roof from an old shed i was under that ,Best spot in town nobody else wanted it, so in i went dry as , Yeah would be an awesome race i mean ride in spring or summer , must put that on the to do list with all the other stuff

B

Top Bottom