NZ North Island (yeah I couldn't think of a catchy name)

nev

Super Térrarist
After a rest day in Napier our next destination was Rotorua. I had planned to head there via Lake Waikaremoana, which has a long stretch of dirt road. Unfortunately despite the drought in the north island, over the past week there's been rain up this end of the island. If we go this way and the dirt is beyond our capability, it will add 200km to our day, which isn't possible on NZ roads. Instead I decide to skip the NE and head straight to Rotorua via Taupo and a few other excursions.

First stop was morning tea at the Tarawera Cafe

IMG_1361.JPG

North of Taupo we detoured down Tram Road through some pine plantation. A few km further on from where we stopped and took this photo was some road works. We learned later that night that a few hours after we rode through, one of the STOP/GO sign holders at the roadworks was shot dead as he manned his sign. Dangerous job that.

IMG_1362.JPG

First evidence of the volcanic activity, steam from a hot springs

IMG_1365.JPG

That night we visited the Mitai Maori Village and ate a hangi meal

IMG_1366.JPG

and watched the entertainment

IMG_1368.JPG

Some of the other tourists there that night were visiting from Hawaii and several of the men were chiefs of their tribes, which probably makes them distant relatives of the maori tribe who's land they were visiting. Apparently the Hawaiian and Maori languages are still about 70% similar, which is pretty good considering 1000+ years of isolation.

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

and of course a haka

IMG_1376.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
next day we took a bit of a day trip of the area. First out to see the Green lake

IMG_1385.JPG

and then a photo of the blue lake taken from the same spot. These two lakes are adjacent each other but not connected although it is suspected they have subterrainian links

IMG_1386.JPG

then a loop around some other lakes

IMG_1389.JPG

A trip up a mountain overlooking Lake Rotorua

IMG_1391.JPG

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
Left Rotorua and headed northwest. Stopped for breakfast in Tirau. Spotted in the main street. Two adjacent shops. The first one an ladies clothing store for > Size 16, and next door, an icecream/lolly shop

IMG_1395.JPG

This town was full of corrugated iron cutouts

IMG_1396.JPG

Saw an interesting looking sign to "The Castle". It was even marked on my map. Followed the signs. Disappointment ensued. Some sort of place opened only during school holidays by the looks of it. Unwelcoming signs at the front for us.

IMG_1397.JPG

Saw quite a few chickens on the side of country roads on this trip

IMG_1398.JPG

A bloke I work with told me to come to the Waikino Tavern. His sister and brother in law run it. We got there too early. It was still shut. The road from Paeroa to Waikino was an absolute ripper, winding through a canyon. Pity about all the traffic though.

IMG_1400.JPG

we headed up the western side of the Coromandel Peninsular

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

then down the 309 road to Whitianga

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

A car festival called the Beach Hop was on. All the way up the east coast during the day we saw old american hot rods, muscle cars and vintage cars. Highlight of the day was seeing a "General Lee" mockup parked on the side of the road being ticketed by the local police. We had our own brush with the local constabulary. Fortunately we were told to enjoy the rest of our holiday. How ironic that we'd been riding around barely getting close to the 100kph speed limit for most of the trip. The XT has a sweet spot around 90kph which is pretty comfortable for navigating NZ winding roads.

IMG_1411.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
Next day we did a ride up to Fletcher's Bay at the northern most point of the Coromandel

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
Saw a few more nice cars on our way back into Auckland.

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

Saw the Prime Minister of Samoa giving a speech in a restaurant at the front of our Motel.

IMAG0652.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
nice pics and roads...seems like u have had good weather most of the time

Yep we sure did. Many parts of the north island are currently in drought. We did have to dodge a bit of rain, heading south of napier rather than north (and skipping a few roads I had planned to ride up that way). It only rained a couple of times overnight, in Napier and in Whitianga, and the only wet day was a non-riding day when we were stopped in Napier being pedestrian tourists. Had the wet weather gear on a couple of times to keep the cold out but it never got rained on. :woot:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Next day we did a ride up to Fletcher's Bay at the northern most point of the Coromandel

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

Beautifull ride up that peninsula, isn't it?
Love that road hugging the steep slopes, skimming along above the beaches and bays, always with the fantastic views to some islands and islets or across the bay :drool:

nev

Super Térrarist
Yeah, i reckon the Coromandel is just about the nicest place you can ride in NZ. it has a bit of everything, and it's all SO GOOD to ride

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Beautifull ride up that peninsula, isn't it?
Love that road hugging the steep slopes, skimming along above the beaches and bays, always with the fantastic views to some islands and islets or across the bay :drool:

Those shots dredge up some fantastic memories for me. Holden wagons, filled to the max. More herbal supplements than one can consume in a lifetime. Fletcher bay, with views to great Barrier Island, a group of mates. Ah life is grand! :chug:

Top Bottom