Mt Lindsay Hwy & Girraween

Herby

Tour Pro
I have just returned from a weekend away at the Girraween. Rather than take the Highway through Ipswich, Warwick and Stanthorpe, I took the Mt Lindsay Hwy through the Border Ranges to the Girraween and back.

The riding was fantastic. On Saturday, I rode down through Beaudesert, Rathdowney, Wodenbong, Legume, Liston and Stanthorpe. When I was in Wodenbong, the lady at the petrol station / takeaway warned me that the unsealed sections of the Mt Lindsay Hwy were badly damaged and that I probably should go along the sealed route through Warwick.

However, I threw caution to the wind because I just love testing out the limits of my wheels. Saturday was an absolutely perfect day for riding. The temperature was moderately cool, the sun was shining with fluffy white clouds in the sky and there was almost no traffic on the roads.

bikepics-2180551-full.jpg

bikepics-2180565-full.jpg

bikepics-2180556-full.jpg

The unsealed sections of the Mt Lindsay Hwy were as rutted, corrogated and pot holed as the lady at the shop had warned. It was one bumpy ride and I was silly enough to ride it at 80kph. The temporary speedo cable that was installed about 10 months ago snapped as I hit a big washout and I spent the rest of the weekend estimating my speed (not so much fun through the speed camera in Tenterfield this morning - I pulled over to let cars in front of me)

bikepics-2180592-full.jpg

bikepics-2180591-full.jpg

Herby

Tour Pro
The Girraween was stunning, as always. I didn't really do any walking - I went camping for the ride.

bikepics-2180590-full.jpg

bikepics-2180589-full.jpg

bikepics-2180588-full.jpg

Herby

Tour Pro
This morning, I left the Girraween after breakfast. Instead of heading back up the highway, I went down to Tenterfield and back up the Mt Lindsay Highway. I took a side route down the Basket Swamp Falls road. It was 12km each way of unsealed and muddy fun.

I passed a 2WD sedan after about 2km just as a lady in her 50s stomped out of the car near a big wash out and the man (who I presume was her husband) kept driving. I can only assume they gave in on the road because I didn't see them on the way back ... and I think if there was concern about the safety of driving down the early part of the road, it was good they didn't continue because the road degenerated.

There seemed to be a lot of fun dirt tracks in the State Forest there to ride down - perhaps a project for a weekend.

bikepics-2180558-full.jpg

bikepics-2180587-full.jpg

bikepics-2180560-full.jpg

bikepics-2180586-full.jpg

bikepics-2180562-full.jpg

bikepics-2180581-full.jpg

After Basket Swamp, I flew down the Mt Lindsay Hwy home. It was a great weekend away.

Herby

Tour Pro
It is Indie ...

PS: Sorry about the image size. I forgot to resave them all smaller when I uploaded them onto Bikepics and am too lazy to go back through the process again. I will blame it on my sunburn frying my brain :D

goodie

Thanks for sharing Herby. I have very fond memories of the Girraween NP, although it's a few years since I've been there - it's a bit out of the way for us Victorians.
Glad, you really struck some good weather there (which is a bit hard lately...)
Love your pics!

Top Bottom