Sydney to London on a postie

Herby

Tour Pro
Loving your book man. Totally inspiring ... Dangerous read though - getting crazy ideas :)

Can't wait to hear and read about whatever adventure you take next.

I forgot about this thread. I was going to come back to it when I finished the book.

Nathan,

Overall I really enjoyed the book it's a great read and you captured the hardships and joys of travelling by motorcycle well. Loved your references to Charlie and Ewan late in the book. :)
I did notice was that details decreased markedly after Pakistan, I guess you may have been having some issues mentally and emotionally after then but I would have liked a little more detail of the later stages of the ride similar to the earlier parts. Another 30 or so pages in the book would have been great.
One thing I didn't like about the book was the photos. Not the actual shots but they way they were presented. I found them hard to view. That's a personal thing and I may be in a minority of one but it's a comment from a reader I guess for future reference.
You left us all hanging with the outcome of your relationship as well. I guess that's the sequel. :)

Last edited:

Herby

Tour Pro
I'm already almost finished the book after just one day and already the danger of reading something so inspiring is starting to become clear ...

I now have a crazy idea in my head ... it won't be as spontaneous as Nathan's was but I'm not in a position to be so spontaneous. I have some things to mull over ... I turn 35 in 3 years and that seems like just enough time to mull, gather ideas and find out how I can get 6 months off work without losing too much pay, losing my job or putting my colleagues into the poo.

Yes, 3 years is a long time but every journey or crazy idea needs a genesis ...

Reading Long Way Round and Long Way Down sent me off on a 2 month journey through southern Australia ... Going Postal is promising to start something even more exciting ...

Thanks for taking the time to write about your journey Nathan because I'm loving the read and it's inspiring me at a time when I need inspiration. :)

N

nathanthepostman

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I've kinda had my head down. Quite nerve wracking having 'strangers' read what's on your mind in the form of a book.

Anyhow,

Apologies Herby for causing you so many reckless thoughts. I'd say don't ask my advice. If you did I'd say as did in the book; do it only if you can afford to lose the things you might lose along the way. Otherwise be wary. In my opinion, from forums such as these, it seems increasingly that there's a lot of lonely men on motorbikes traipsing the world in search of something but aren't quite sure of exaclty what. Answers probably. But I didn't find any. So I'd say don't join them unless you have.

And thanks for the feedback K1W1. I'd agree with both points. It did need more words, easily another 30 pages, but sadly that's not how it works. You get a word limit and a page allowance and that's your lot. Though maybe in a way the last few chapters mirror reality, in that I didn't care or give consideration to anything those last few weeks. Just wanted to get home. And so I didn't have any detail to give. But you're not the first person to point it out. Maybe next time.

As for the pics, I totally agree. In fact, when I look at the book I can't help but feel it does quite do justice to the trip. I'm content with the words. But in terms of presentation and interaction and scale, yeah, I feel a bit disappointed. Needs more pics and colour and thickness to it. If anyone's seen the book From Here to THere by that Melbourne radio bloke you'll know what can be done with a book about a trip like this. I liked the layout of that book a lot.

Ah well... glad you fellas liked it, and most of all, thanks for buying a copy. I appreciate it.

Nathan.

Last edited:
N

nathanthepostman

Hey guys, hope you're well.

Just thought I'd mention that Joe and the gang up at One Ten Motorcycles are having a BBQ next Tuesday, the 26th, starting at Midday. The more the merrier.

The aim was for me to answer questions and give a bit of a talk on the trip to anyone interested or curious.

All you need to do is bring your own meat. Might see you there.

Nathan

Christo

Tractor Pilot
Just purchased a copy of your book "Going Postal" Nathan, only half way through yet, but it's certainly a cracking good read.

Well done, look forward to more from you.

Christo.

Top Bottom