New Years Rally 2012 - Micalong Creek & more

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Mrs W and I left around 4:00pm on Wednesday 28 December, 2011 with Culcairn our intended overnight destination. This however was looking a bit optimistic as our speed was limited to 100km/h (due to trailer swaying ‘all over the place’), stopping a few times to redistribute the load (to no avail) and the extra concentration required controlling the bike was very tiring.

The 275km between Donnybrook and Wodonga used 20.6litres – that’s 7.5litres/100km – this looks like a fun trip – NOT!!!

By the time we got to Albury I was exhausted, so we stayed at the Boomerang Hotel Motel. At $66.00 for a double room, comfy bed, clean sheets, a shower with plenty of hot water and heaps of waterpressure, cold beers, good food, it was pretty good value. We’ll stay there again.

Next morning we headed up the Olympic Way with our first stop was at Henty for coffee and breakfast. Even at this early hour I need to find some shade for the Mighty CB:

SANY0205.jpg

The Main Street:

SANY0206.jpg

The off to Junee via Wagga Wagga. A nice (but not too) old Church in Junee:

SANY0209.jpg

The railway station precinct has some pretty nice old buildings. Outside:

SANY0218.jpg

SANY0217.jpg

SANY0216.jpg

The platform:

SANY0213.jpg

SANY0211.jpg

An old pub in pretty good nick:

SANY0219.jpg

After another coffee we were off to Gundagai. The Junee – Gundagai Road took us through some gently undulating country side, a few nice curves and very little traffic.

Lunch at Gundagai and a few locals suggested that it wouldn’t be prudent to take the Mighty CB, trailer and pillion over the Tumut – Wee Jasper Road. Before heading to Yass, the Mighty CB needed a thirst quench, and a tyre pressure check.

The trailer sway had been on my mind for over 600km by now (at least I had something to think about whilst travelling at 80 – 90km/h). Because of the extra load in the trailer (at least another 50kg from previous trips) I upped the trailer tyre pressures to 15psi (from 11psi), and this was the only thing that I could think of that was different with the trailer (well apart from the extra 50kg).

So, I dropped the trailer tyre pressures to 11psi. WHAT A DIFFERENCE when I get back on the Hume Highway, at 100km/h - no sway, at 110km/h – no sway. I reckon it would have been ‘no sway’ at 140km/h.

At Yass we get some last minute extras for the next four days or so, including a slab and two bags of ice – more weight. The Yass – Wee Jasper Road was as sweet as last year (well actually sweeter now that it’s all sealed – sorry guys and gals). The last 6.0km to Micalong Creek is still gravel (I wonder when it will be sealed?).

Micalong Creek:

Stitch3.jpg

Stitch2.jpg

Stitch1.jpg

SANY0234.jpg

SANY0232.jpg

SANY0230.jpg

Bernie (new DR650, lucky B) and Warren (DL650) arrive stay a couple nights, but head off before New Year’s Eve. I think they were heading to Sydney for a Mardi Gras get together with their new mate from Wednesday evening.

Steve (naked DL650) also arrives and stays a night or two, takes off and head for home via the sealed roads – I think he may not have been feeling well.

The Capitol Rally has been an ‘off again / on again’ affair all week so Mrs W and I have a plan B, ie. home via Cooma, Bombala, a few nights in Tathra, etc…. Mrs W doesn’t need much convincing.

We head to the coast via Tumut (overnight at the Royal Hotel Motel) and Adaminaby. The Mighty CB needed some more shade:

SANY0235.jpg

The view from Brown Mountain:

SANY0236.jpg

Tathra:

SANY0238.jpg

SANY0237.jpg

Some of our Tathra neighbours:

SANY0245.jpg

SANY0243.jpg

SANY0240.jpg

A few nights R & R at Tathra, nice coffee shops, club, pub, restaurant and fish & chip shop. The best feed of Flathead fillets I’ve had, and a say so to the lady behind the counter and ask if it was local Flathead, and she says, “No, the Flathead is from South Australia” Go, figure that!!!

Overnight at a nice B & B at Bombala (the old NAB) building, then down the Bonang Highway. At the McKillops Bridge turn off:

McKillopsBridgeTurn-off.jpg

At a rest stop, where we had to repair a puncture:

BonangHighwayRestStop.jpg

The puncture repair was a chore. Trailer off, tools and repair kit out, find the hole, plug it, etc …. This would not have been achievable without the help of a Toyota Land Cruiser guy, his wife and small electric compressor. A tyre pressure check at Orbost (rear tyre is holding at 44psi) and then off to Raymond Island.

At RI we stay with friends. The view from their front yard next morning:

SANY0270.jpg

SANY0269.jpg

SANY0268.jpg

Mrs W and Dick going for a ride in his new toy:

SANY0255.jpg

Home on Saturday 7 January, 2012, ten nights away, around 2,500km, lots of sights seen and exhausted. We learned that there are lots of new and exciting places to find and see, still.

I learned – NOT TO FRIG AROUND WITH THE TRAILER TYRE PRESSURES.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
SANY0205.jpg

And?? Found something nice for yourself in the shop in the background? :bees:

SANY0217.jpg

SANY0213.jpg

What a beautiful old station...hopefully it's still functional and not just a piece of "conservation work" :glu

Looks like that ride had it all...great weather, plenty of shade, some mountains and a few days on the coast, boats, flat rears and some beaches as well as some superb old buildings and a bit of wildlife. Couldn't beat it !!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
But where are the people, mate?? What 'd you do? :lol:

Looks like it was a great trip! How I wished we could have been there with you.

The time and date on the pics (11:30 Thursday morning) is right. I had not given much thought to the empty streets. There were some people around, but when I brought camera out they must have been fearful of the tuff bikie and her husband - or perhaps it was the sight of the CB1300 in all its might.

Junee must have been a pretty important centre "in its day" - the Railway Precinct is impressive as are some of the other buildings, and the way they have been preserved or renovated.

Yeah, its a pity Pete & you, and Nev & Jo, could not make it to Micalong Creek, its a beautiful, peaceful little part of the world - well apart from when around 100 bikers get there.

Top Bottom