2 out of 3 aint bad

Squizzy

Long Timer
Ok, so I have some time off left and there are 3 roads/spots I want to go to.
1. Lake Cobbler
2. Dargo High Plains Rd
3. Barry Way.
I think up a grand plan of linking up all 3 and leave with the outfit (without Lynne) Monday morning. Lovely riding in the morning but is getting warm. First stop Mansfield for fuel and a drink. I learned that if I lay my camel back down, it leaks. Good thing was it was onto my mesh gloves which were very nice and cool in the breeze. Across to Whitfield for lunch. Onto Rose River rd then Upper Rose River rd to Lake Cobbler. Stopped at Bennie's campground and stop to a ranger and asked him about the rest of the rd to the lake. Just a bit rocky past the second bridge he reckons, but you are almost there by then. He left out the bit about steep and rutted as well!
From the top looking across the valley

Photo1-M.jpg

A couple of waterfalls on the way.

Photo2-M.jpg

Finally got to Lake Cobbler, lovely view, but camping area was pretty barren.

Photo3-M.jpg

Had a drink and rode back to Bennie's. Had the motor off on a couple of descents, just clutching it down. These sidecars are fun!

Squizzy

Long Timer
Bennie's was a lot nicer camping area.

Photo4-M.jpg

Nice little stream with a deep spot for sitting in.

Photo5-M.jpg

Nice view as the sun was setting.

Photo5a-M.jpg

On the way out.

Photo6-M.jpg

The front brake needed a few pumps to bring the lever up on the way out, thought it might have been the corrugations. Better have a look after a few ks.
Broken bracket that retains the front calipers! Slow trip into Myrtleford and get a local engineering shop to weld it up. Great bloke, could not have been more helpful. After repair.

Photo7-M.jpg

Continue onto Bright and up to Mt Hotham and turn off just before onto the Dargo rd.

Photo8-M.jpg

Squizzy

Long Timer
Dargo rd was a bit rough in spots, but great compared with yesterday.

Photo9-M.jpg

I can see why it is called the high plains rd.

Photo10-M.jpg

Photo11-M.jpg

Down into Dargo, which was quite busy as to be expected, for fuel and something to eat. Due to the heat, I was not wearing my back support, and by Dargo I was feeling pretty stuffed and the thought of camping that night and then doing the Barry Way up to Jindbyne and that way home had lost its sheen somewhat.

Thought I would try and make it home, gps said home by 8pm. I got as far as Rosedale and called it quits around 5.30. Shower, stale bread for tea and asleep by 9.

Slabbed it home next day on the freeway. Funny, cruising at 90k on the outfit seems quite nice, where as on the solo it is quite boring. Home by 10.45 am, getting hot again. Glad to be home. Went to a osteo today to loosen up the back. Feels much better.
Now where to next week?

Thanks for doing the investigation for me. Paradise Falls, Lake Cobbler, Bennies is on my late Feb/March weekend get away list.

Squizzy

Long Timer
I seem to remember Paradise Falls is a bit of a walk from the car park and I dont like leaving the bike. I dont reckon there would have been much water coming over either, thats my excuse anyway!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
He left out the bit about steep and rutted as well!

:bs A bit of a bastard, that...bloody rocks everywhere!

Bennie's was a lot nicer camping area.

.....get a local engineering shop to weld it up. Great bloke, could not have been more helpful.]

Lake Cobbler isn't much for a camp...and often chockers with 4 WD groups and wannabe-cockies.

How was that creek/ overflow crossing? That can get pretty chewed up and muddy-bottomed by the 4WDs...

I seem to remember Paradise Falls is a bit of a walk from the car park and I dont like leaving the bike. I dont reckon there would have been much water coming over either, thats my excuse anyway!

Been up there a few times, never had a problem leaving a bike and gear/ jackets/ helmets etc. for the ~30min return walk to the falls...but only ever seen the falls as a dribble.
Shame you didn't make it up the Barry :(:(
That's a really nice ride....but not in this weather.

Thanks for the pics and story :clap: , nice to read and gawk while back at work. :woot::woot:

Squizzy

Long Timer
500 metres each way? about 495 more than I wanted to do.
The creek/overflow was not too bad, 3 wheels is good for some things! The Lake Cobbler would have been a lot easier solo, there was a steady flow of 4wds which wanted to take up most of the track so I had to keep a pace where I could stop fairly quickly without spearing off into the bushes or over the edge.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
We met a ford falcon heading up the mountain to Cobbler when we were there earlier in the year.

Lots of fun that road.

Top Bottom