A day out on the new Tiger

stevethi

Just through the door
Firstly, it's nice to catch up with Pete after many years of not visiting this place. My riding went in other directions that included many years of racing, sold my last race bikes back in late 2014 while still having my GTR1400.

Anyway enough of the past, went for my first ride on the Tiger XCX and I am in love, this bike has everything I have been looking for over the years but couldn't bring myself to buy one.

Picked it up on Friday and didn't get to throw a leg over it until Sunday. Had some photography commitments at the Phillip Island Classic on the Saturday but decided Sunday was my time to start testing the new stealth out. :D

Spent a couple of hours in the Bunyip State Park after riding a few bitumen twisties on the way, the bike just loved both surfaces.

View attachment 768

View attachment 769

View attachment 770

Can't wait to get out there again, just not sure the tyres are perfect choice to venture too much off the gravel stuff.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Anyway enough of the past, went for my first ride on the Tiger XCX and I am in love, this bike has everything I have been looking for over the years but couldn't bring myself to buy one.

Spent a couple of hours in the Bunyip State Park after riding a few bitumen twisties on the way, the bike just loved both surfaces.

Can't wait to get out there again, just not sure the tyres are perfect choice to venture too much off the gravel stuff.

And good to see you're around again :clap:

Whoohoo!!
Thought it was going to be this Wednesday for delivery.
Anyways...sounds like Tiger-things have started to gel already.
At least for the front, maybe look at a Mitas E-07 as a good intermediate hoop as, for the start at least, you'll be spending more time on the tar than the dirt and don't want to sacrifice too much "stick" there.

Another good choice, but a little hard to come by, are the Mefo Explorer 99.
Profile and dirt grip very much like the Heidenau K60's, without the "penalty" of heavy weight and reputed washouts on wet tar....road-stick identical to the Mitas 07s.

There's lots of choice going more knobbly from here....

stevethi

Just through the door
And good to see your around again :clap:

Whoohoo!!
Thought it was going to be this Wednesday for delivery.
Anyways...sounds like Tiger-things have started to gel already.
At least for the front, maybe look at a Mitas E-07 as a good intermediate hoop as, for the start at least, you'll be spending more time on the tar than the dirt and don't want to sacrifice too much "stick" there.

Another good choice, but a little hard to come by, are the Mefo Explorer 99.
Profile and dirt grip very much like the Heidenau K60's, without the "penalty" of heavy weight and reputed washouts on wet tar....road-stick identical to the Mitas 07s.

There's lots of choice going more knobbly from here....

They rang me and said it would be ready Friday, so I made the trip to pick it up.

Thanks for the tyre heads up, they also say the Continental TKC 80's are good that come standard on the BMW's. The only problem I see is the clearance on the front guard is not that big, there is a bracket to lift the guard to suit tyres like TKC 80's.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
They rang me and said it would be ready Friday, so I made the trip to pick it up.

Thanks for the tyre heads up, they also say the Continental TKC 80's are good that come standard on the BMW's. The only problem I see is the clearance on the front guard is not that big, there is a bracket to lift the guard to suit tyres like TKC 80's.

Boy, that was quick! Wouldn't have expected PS being able to pull the finger out, but apparently pigs can fly (sometimes).

The TKC is far more aggressive and coarse, more like a real knobby.
From memory, only the BMW ADV model GS's come with TKC's.
I found 'em a pretty lumpy and noisy ride onroad.

stevethi

Just through the door
Was quick for them, I did ask for the bike on Monday so I could venture out on Tuesday. Still waiting on a couple of extra's such as seat and fog lights, so really they had nothing much to do on bike apart from heated grips.

Will check your tyres out when I see you next. :D

Top Bottom