Tassie Delights...Forum Meet Wynyard 2011

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The Pancake Shop on Elephants Pass becomes the assembly point for the far-scattered troupe the next morning, and then it’s off to the South Sister Lookout north of St. Marys. The steepish track looks treacherous, I’m happy to quit on that while others try with varying success.

Some use the coastal hwy, others follow the tracks through the plantations to Upper Scamander and up the peninsula to St. Helens Point. Some great vistas here, the narrow entrance to Georges Bay:

2011Tas053.jpg

Near the point

2011Tas054.jpg

Maurouard Beach and Peron Dunes, the southern shores of the peninsula

2011Tas055.jpg

A quick carve through Plastic-Glitz St. Helens out to Binalong Bay where so-called progress has turned the rickety old shop into a semi-upmarket restaurant. At least the spectacular beaches of the southern end of the Bay of Fires haven’t changed.

2011Tas057.jpg

Along the coast to The Gardens, previously a well-hidden little place of outstanding beauty.

It still is!! :glu

2011Tas056.jpg

2011Tas059.jpg

2011Tas058.jpg

Another dirt/ road split near Pyengana for the rest of the afternoon.. merging again at the Weldborough Pub, the stay for the night.:so
The road to St. Columbo Falls car park is now fully sealed past the cheese factory and the Pub in the Paddock.

The walk to the falls alone is well worth the effort, what a place….the fern grove is straight out of a kids storybook!!

2011Tas060.jpg

2011Tas061.jpg

2011Tas062.jpg

2011Tas063.jpg

….while Andrew (Hayesy) and some others are playing the one-for-me, one-for-you game with Porky at the Pub in the Paddock, also stopping over at Myrtle Mountain, along the way to Weldborough.

2011Tas064.jpg

2011Tas065.jpg

The climb from the Falls up Mt. Victoria is a bit rough, but things pay off quickly.

Jackpot!!
:thumbs::thumbs:
The high plains are a ripper, views galore!:drool:

2011Tas066.jpg

2011Tas067.jpg

The quick, narrow single-laner into the Ringarooma valley is a cracker, more breathtaking views as the sun drops low, wrapping everything into a golden blanket.

2011Tas068.jpg

Rob winding up the XT

2011Tas069.jpg

Back onto the tar just south of Ringarooma, there’s one more perler to come: the little 1-anda-bit wide band of asphalt to Branxholm.
Pete making tracks...

2011Tas070.jpg

The Weldborough Pub is another landmark stay….there are nice, lush and shady $5bux/head camp sites, the young couple running the joint are super-friendly and are trying hard to bring the place back to its former (well-known) glory as a bike-friendly stay….the specialty beers are plentiful and COLD, the tucker excellent.:bow:

Like the Lake Leake Pub, if you’re near, do yourself a favour and drop in… stay a night or 2, enjoy the place and surrounds.

Some facilities are basic…but they’re there!!
There’s also undercover parking in the old “bandstand” out the back.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I don't know what it is about these two, but on the first night Goodie is telling me how in Europe, Dave took her into the forest and showed her something, and she was taking pictures..... Now look at him showing her some wood!

DSC_0596.jpg

Bwahahahaaaaaa
:guff:guff:rofl:

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Thursday 17th

The morning is a bit misty in St Marys before we rejoined at the pancake parlour.
The St Marys pub is bike friendly, they let us park the bikes in the beer garden :so

DSC_0724.jpg

Vtwin and I make a trip up and down the lookout, then up again, Pete's not game to ride pillion so we leave him at the bottom.

Well worth the trip up if you can make it

DSC_0726.jpg

Andreas has spotted something and is looking for a way down.
Great view from up here

DSC_0729.jpg

He's found a little pink baby hat, aaaaww.

DSC_0739.jpg

Vtwin and I make a run for Skyline Tier above Scamander, though the trees have grown up considerably since I was last there and the view is very diminished :(
There is a hill you come over which I think is Mt Pyramid. There used to be mining in the area and there is still a mineshaft you can see from the road

DSC_0746.jpg

Oh well, down to Beaumaris and out to Binalong bay for Lunch.

The Gardens is a nice spot, good thing we weren't there for the long weekend, as Cosy Corner campground gets over run these days. Nice spot to put the feet up

DSC_0754.jpg

Eddystone Point lighthouse in the smoky distance.

DSC_0756.jpg

The others could have made it to St Columba Falls, but the two Petes and myself have a great run over the top of Mt Victoria and down to Ringarooma

DSC_0796.jpg

DSC_0798.jpg

I don't have any pics of them, but a lot of the roads we are on have a sign that you ride past saying Road Closure, time and date for early April. As soon as you ride past one, you know you're onto a good thing, 'cause these are the stages for the Targa Tasmania tarmac rally :glu
The Ledgerwood stage is one of Glitch's new favourites.:drool:

A spirited run through to Weldborough to meet up with the group again, a great day and a lovely meal and good beer in the pub to finish it off.

Unfortunately, despite my telling them not to leave any food out, someone leaves some bread out for the possums, and there is a massive fight in the wee hours of the morning :bang:. I think the buggers pissed on my bike too....

Eagle-lady

Getting the hang of it
Great pictures.
looks like you all had a great time.

When the wee possums (meaning my little kids, not the 1 that pissed on your bikes:rofl:) are old enough to leave in the arms of others I hope to go to many of the places that I have never seen or even heard of.
I am so blinded by the beauty we actually have here.

Hopefully the next time you all come back I am able to meet up and join you all on the ride, as well as feed you bacon and eggs again, :D

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I am so blinded by the beauty we actually have here.

Hopefully the next time you all come back I am able to meet up and join you all on the ride, as well as feed you bacon and eggs again, :D

It's an AWESOME place!!
Really hope you can come along for a few days next time.

And carefull about that brecky offer....there could be 100's rocking up :bs

5footnothing.

Just through the door
Photos look great guys!! This is my first post, I joined up when I got back! Mick & I had a great time. Mick especially loved catching up with you all again. I need to get some stamina before doing a big trip with you all but you will be pleased to know that I am waiting back on dates and prices for the BMW Stay Upright offroad course. I figure if you can't beat them you may as well join them!!

Top Bottom