Yarra Valley Autumn Shorts

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
With only a few hours at hand....and after Peter's (Doonap) recent post...a short stroll through the neighbourhood seemed a good idea. Tootling through the backlanes, dirt and tar, a camera each to hunt down the current glut of glorious autumn colours, we turned 5 hours into a leisurly scramble up Mt. Dandenong, down the eastern side on the dirt to Silvan Reservoir Park, the market gardens towards Yellinbo and Seville East...across Pantons Gap for a cuppa in Healesville, doing a bit of "people watching"....

Then the byways from Rochford Winery through a maze of vineyards into the back of suburbia at Mt. Evelyn. Shame, things were so hazy...the pics would've been something else. Just gotta do it again another day
2thumbs_up.gif

5 hrs...108k's....173 pics...and a bit of sunburn on the tip of the nose.
icon_beerchug_.gif

Autumn's putting on one hell of a show in "The Valley"....
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif
....and temps around the mid-20's sort of help things along, too.

Mount "D" from Glasgow Rd.

YarraValleyColour_001.JPG

Pretty...juuust pretty!

YarraValleyColour_002.JPG

Old Coach Rd., climbing the flank of Mt. D on a blanket of fresh, thick gravel.

YarraValleyColour_003.JPG

YarraValleyColour_004a.JPG

Olinda Creek Rd. towards Silvan Reservoir

YarraValleyColour_005.JPG

YarraValleyColour_005a.JPG

YarraValleyColour_006.JPG

Getting the shot

YarraValleyColour_006a.JPG

YarraValleyColour_006b.JPG

YarraValleyColour_007.JPG

YarraValleyColour_008.JPG

Some parts already look like winter's already here....

YarraValleyColour_009.JPG

...while others are still "belting it out"...

YarraValleyColour_009a.JPG

YarraValleyColour_009b.JPG

A hedge of climbing roses down Parker Rd. nearly knocks you off the bike, the smell is incredible
2thumbs_up.gif

YarraValleyColour_010.JPG

YarraValleyColour_011.JPG

Looking east towards Bunyip State Park from the top of Holden Rd.

YarraValleyColour_012.JPG

....and "getting the arse" from the locals.

YarraValleyColour_012a.JPG

YarraValleyColour_012b.JPG

YarraValleyColour_013.JPG

The pre-harvest protective nets and covers are rolled up and tied for the winter.

YarraValleyColour_014.JPG

Oh yeah, them's some pretty lanes out da sticks, man...

YarraValleyColour_015.JPG

Just because!!

YarraValleyColour_015a.JPG

More pretty lanes....
slobber.gif

YarraValleyColour_016.JPG

YarraValleyColour_017.JPG

To be continued

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Cutting across to Old Warby Hwy on Douthie Rd.

YarraValleyColour_017a.JPG

YarraValleyColour_017b.JPG

YarraValleyColour_018.JPG

YarraValleyColour_020.JPG

The timber bridge on Don Rd., where the dirt starts. The noon sun turns the bush silvery, it's a brilliant spectacle.

YarraValleyColour_020a.JPG

I feel sorry for the poor bugger on the Jap-cruiser wobbling down the thick gravel and washouts of Don Rd. at 3km/h. It's obvious from a mile away that he's shitting himself big time, fighting tooth and nail to stay on that chrome-monster to "make it out of that goat-track, hell, man, I tellya!!"
spoton.gif
bs2.gif

YarraValleyColour_020b.JPG

Rochford Winery has ALWAYS something on....today it's the Segway-guys.
I'm looking desperately around for the Spokster...it's not just the new Segway"Adventure"...but there's talk in the tent of a soon-to-be-unveiled Segway DAKAR!! Spock, WHERE THE HELL ARE YA??

YarraValleyColour_021.JPG

No more mains recharge for the new models...they'll run on NOS!
killingme.gif

YarraValleyColour_022.JPG

Back to the colours...and they ARE stumping!

YarraValleyColour_023.JPG

YarraValleyColour_023a.JPG

YarraValleyColour_025.JPG

What a place, Holy Mackerel!!
wot.gif
wot.gif

Somewhere amongst the vineyard hills of Maddens Lane/ Briarty Rd.

YarraValleyColour_026.JPG

YarraValleyColour_027.JPG

YarraValleyColour_027a.JPG

A parting shot across Yarra Yering vineyards.... the valley and Toolangi hills in the background.

YarraValleyColour_028.JPG

Not often one can catch a mid-20C pearler that late in autumn...glad we took the cameras along.
See you next time!

icon_beerchug_.gif
icon_beerchug_.gif

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Beautiful pics :clap:.
As much as I enjoy a good fang, these meandering 'photo rides' are great for the soul :cool2 .

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Beautiful pics, enjoyed aYarra valley (wine) tour in February and noted the great roads etc.Sadly was only a weekend away. Was a bit far to ride being 1600ks! Rochford was good.Segways there at the time.Look like fun!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Sounds like you had a considerably more cultured and peaceful day than Ant and I. :)

Oops...that sounds ominous! BRR all chewed out? It's that time of year for some rough going after the summer-use of the bush roads...annual maintenance kicks in again late Oct. or so.

Nice shots. Where I have been in the Dandenongs this afternoon it's been snowing off and on.

20130511-RLR_7662.jpg

:clap: Beauty! Had a few of those spells along the way...but by the time I'd stopped the bike and turned around the gust of wind had stopped and leaves were just about on the ground.
It's been a spectacular sunrise this morning, too...I should've been up Mt. D just before 7. :mad:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Beautiful pics :clap:.
As much as I enjoy a good fang, these meandering 'photo rides' are great for the soul :cool2 .

Are they ever!!

Beautiful pics, enjoyed aYarra valley (wine) tour in February and noted the great roads etc.Sadly was only a weekend away. Was a bit far to ride being 1600ks! Rochford was good.Segways there at the time.Look like fun!

Thanks....enjoyed spending a bit of time on the shutter button. It's amazing what one sees and trips over when actually LOOKING for angles, colours, contrast, foregrounds etc to get some ingredients for a shot.

Those Segways had some decent looking rubber, should be fun to choof over some dirt tracks on one of those.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Vote +1 for K1W1 swirling-leaves photo. I was caught in the midst of one of them yesterday morning walking the dogs, no camera of course :(. Beautiful.

Top Bottom