out to lunch

MooN

Tour Pro
As it happened, last week end "the girls team" (wife & 3 kids) went to my outlaws for a few days so sunday, having done some chores I dug the bike out of the shed, checked oil & tyre pressures & went out for a ride to Lunch both on Sunday & Tuesday :clap:

Yeah, it's a Honda, it's normal for it to start right on the button after a month in a shed...:bees:

being alone,I rode south to the Morvan & rode some of the roads we often do, but at a "slightly" slower pace than when chasing the usual nutters on their rich boys bikes. (an R1 & a brace or XJR13's amongst others)

I didn't take many pics cos I was having for too much fun to stop.:thumbs:

The route ges something like this. Augy, St Bris le Vineux, St Cyr les colons, Licheres pres Aigremont, Nitry, Joux la Ville, Lucy le bois, Avallon, Chastellux sur Cure, Lormes, Chateau chinon (or nearly) Planchez, Quarré les tombes, Vezelay, Chatel censoir, Merry sur Yonne & home vie some very minor almost paved roads... about 250 odd k in all, under a leaden sky but with no actual rain

route here if I can make it work => http://goo.gl/maps/Br0Ai

if anybody would like to share with me how the fuck to embed the bloody thing in the post then feel free cos i've tried for half an hour now so sod it, you'll have to click on the link if you're that interested!

the chateau at Chastellux
DSC02286_zpsd18bf399.jpg

lunch stop in the village
DSC02289_zps3f5c7c31.jpg

spring has finally sprung in the woods of the Morvan regional parc
DSC02292_zps634bb101.jpg

DSC02298_zps7c51f491.jpg

20130514_145309_zps44b17863.jpg

Tuesday's thrilling installment :-

Route very similar to Sunday except that once into the morvan I just followed my nose, exploring some wiggly bits that I never usually get a chance to ride cos the gang of "usual suspects" want fast & smooth which today definately wasn't...

Route (still can't embed the effing thing!)

http://goo.gl/maps/DLFIq

& some pics, with the phone this time cos I forgot the camera

overlooking the Lac du Crescent
20130514_152449_zps3abbaa15.jpg

One of the things I wanted to detour to see was the memorial to the "Maquis Camille"

For those of you not interested in the WWII stuff, specifically the french resistance, switch off now.

In french the word "maquis" describes an area of scrubland or untended wilderness. During the occupation "prendre le maquis" meant to take to the hills or take to the bush, ie join the resistance mouvement. The resistance cells in rural areas became known as "les maquis" or "les maquisards" & each cell had it's codename. Some of the cells became quite famous & the cell that successfully used the wilderness of the Morvan to hide in & launch raids on the nazi installations was called "Camille".

at the site of one of their base camps is a sign:
20130514_154439_zps6b9d4662.jpg

my translation : " after the attack at Vermont / Dun les Places (26 - 27th June 1944) the maquis Camille installed their camp in the fields & woods around the farm "des Goths"

They were attacked by the enemy on the 3rd august. With the assistance of the SAS they resisted, the Maquis was not penetrated by the attackers, who suffered heavy losses."

behind the sign is a Stéle.

20130514_154459_zps89cbf275.jpg

In the village of (i think) Plainefas, a little further along the route is another stele which I didn't take a pic of because there was an old man deadheading the flowers around it & generally tidying up, I like to imagins that he or his family had something to do with the inscription which read something along the lines of

"general thingymabob, officially recognises the bravory & courage of the people of Plainefas who, in the face of nazi reprisals in the form of summary executions, imprisonments & interrogations, continually & repeatedly sheltered, fed, hid, supplied information to & generally supported & encouraged the members of the maquis Camille."

moving on...

20130514_154539_zpsb89b75ea.jpg

20130514_175515_zpsc85cd52a.jpg

200 odd km but a lot more time than km's & a fine day out it was too :chug:

Edit (Pete): inserted 2. map link

robbieb

Tassie Daddy

Click on the little chain link top right on the left user panel. Highlight and copy the Second Link down.

Now in the forum, select the Gmap option, the little red A last option on the right above the editing window. Paste your link between the gmap brackets

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:clap:

Thanks for that little history lesson....LOVE that sort of stuff!!

La Resistance hiding away in the bushes...the buggers wouldn't have a chance nowadays with all that aerial gizmo stuff, satellites and god-knows-what.

Good to see spring's finally arrived, too....looked like we'd better hired some ski-gear there for Sept for a while.
Thanks for posting, mate :glu

Moyston

Getting the hang of this.
lovely place and views. And the history of resistance.. love to go there one day and ride, so ancient and deep with history, compared to hear, cheers

MooN

Tour Pro
Thanks for the tips Robieb:chug:

Glitch, it's not ski stuff you'll be wanting, more snorkel & flippers i reckon, it's now persisting down with rain again today...

for those of you who've expressed a desire to come ride here, just so's you know, beer's in the fridge, wine's in the cooler & Madame Moon has a mean chocolat cake on the go...

:whistle:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Glitch, it's not ski stuff you'll be wanting, more snorkel & flippers i reckon, it's now persisting down with rain again today...

Yeah... just as ordered. Gotta get it all out of way and the skies cleared for Sept/ Oct.:scull:
Now, about that choccy-cake...

Top Bottom