Ride to Recovery ( Australian High Country )

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
I found myself with some unexpected time off work and decided to make use of it with a 3 week trip.But where to go in February in Oz,our hottest time of the year.I would have liked to hit the desert country but with temperatures exceeding 45C that was'nt really an option,so off to the Victorian High Country it was.
Things did'nt start out well when the night before departure I thought I'd check the tyre pressures on the Pegaso only to notice very little brake pad on the rear caliper.Definately not enough for the next 5,000kms.No problem,I'll get a set tomorrow and delay my departure 1 day.Wrong.I could'nt find a set to fit anywhere.There was only 1 option left,move all my gear onto the GSA.I did'nt have a problem with the GSA except it being a rather,how can I put it without being rude,portly fellow.This would reduce my options on some of the harder tracks I wanted to take but 3 weeks in the big girls saddle actually made me realise what she could do as long as took her for a ride and not vice/versa.Muscle that big beast and she's not to bad.
So morning arrives and off I go.First destination is Mogood Lookout.But some interesting signs along The Clyde Ridge Road.

This one was interesting to say the least.
DSCF0001.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Too tyred:rofl.
DSCF0003.jpg

Onward to Mogood Lookout.I had'nt been up here since I first started dual sporting and remember riding up and wondering how I was going to get back down.How things change:nod.Does'nt look steep and is'nt really but it seemed like it all those years ago.

Dial a beer.
DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

The views up here are awsome but there was much better to come in the following weeks.
DSCF0004.jpg

Pigeon House Mountain.Maybe it's me but I can't help seeing a naked woman lying down in that mountain photo (to long on the road me thinks:rofl )
DSCF0005.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Spent my first night at Big Hole.The good thing about travelling late February is the lack of touristy types.Needless to say I had the whole campground to my self.Well almost.
DSCF0010.jpg

Up leisurly the next day and headed down towards Nimitabel.This fella (Water dragon)was enjoying the sun and had no intention of moving.Fair enough I say.We eyeballed for a while but he got the better of me and I moved on (can't even out stare a critter:shog)
DSCF0012.jpg

The open road,a beautiful day and no where to be in particular.The most relaxed I had been in a long while.
DSCF0013.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
There's some excellent country down Bomballa way.My next camp would be McKillops Bridge.And guess what,not a soul in sight.Bliss.
DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
After setting up camp I decided to take a walk and check out the scenery.It can be a bit spooky being alone in the bush but I like it that way.It keeps me relaxed and allows me to focus more on my surroundings and what nature has to offer.Unfortunately nature seems to present itself when I don't have my camera handy.While at this spot later in the day I spent a good 15 minutes watching a Platypus go about it's buisness, to scared to take my eyes off it in case I missed something special.Just seeing it(the 6th one I had seen in the wild in the last 3 months) was enough.
DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

There were hundreds of these little buggers around but they kept to themselves and seemed happy with the odd handout.
DSCF0019.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
There must have been some rain upstream as the water was a bit muddy.Only a week ago I was swimming in this spot but figured I would probably get out dirtier than I got in so gave it a miss this time around.
DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Ever get the feeling your being stalked.He can't be the same fella that was at Big Hole last night surely.This one landed on my table not an arms length away from me later in the day.No camera closeby again.
DSCF0028.jpg

A highly recomended spot although not a lot of grass.
DSCF0026.jpg

I usually pull up stumps around 3.00pm which gives me plenty of time to walk around and just ponder life in general.Dark soon sets in and if you don't like being alone in the bush it could worry you I guess

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

Eat,drink and....well read a while I s'pose.
DSCF0030.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
After another terrific sleep it's time to pack up and move on.The road out of McKillops Bridge is one of my favourites and with these guys making the road even better what more could I ask for.
DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Now this spot looks familiar.Here's where my riding partner from the week before,Edge,went over the edge:rofl.
DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

More photos soon

Top Bottom