Yankee Tootle Dandy

steamboat

Getting the hang of it
Great piccys,bring's back fond memories,the Yank's ? yar gotta love em,:cdlegreat hospitable people.
Echo your comment on Canberra taking a few hints from em.
Enjoying the "Ride"
Picture: Border check near Tuscon. No Passport/ID ? "Get outa the car"' They don't take any lip either.
Blokes in the box tooled up with M16's and Shotties:wow:

Last edited:

Dalemation

Getting the hang of it
Wicked stuff Glitch!:clap: Kind of makes me want to go over there...:evil:
The KLR is a special kind of bike. I found it easy to scape the pegs but for me it was to do with bottoming it out around corners at the same time!! :bs

I await more!
:lao

S

Sp00k

Last time I was in Colorado, I wanted to hire a HD and take it for a run. I changed my mind at the last minute due to the cost. Day before I was leaving to return to Oz, I was kicking myself as I really wanted to get up into the mountains on a bike. I was mentioning it to a woman in Denver at the Conference dinner I was at who said, she had 3 HD's sitting in her garage not 5 minutes away and I could have had them all week for nothing.

:(

Your ride just reminds me of that time....Great report!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Thanks for the info mate. This was the camera I was talking about. It must be the S3? It looks very similar to the G9. They do have good optics on them but as you say they are quite heavy for a P & S.

Jeff

I think you're right....that's Jimbo and the "point 'n shoot".
Looks like a G9.
Check for any shots in this thread watermarked "dusty@AusTouring" ...they're the ones done with the G9.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
yar gotta love em,:cdlegreat hospitable people.

Picture: Border check near Tuscon. No Passport/ID ? "Get outa the car"' They don't take any lip either.
Blokes in the box tooled up with M16's and Shotties:wow:

Great to have you aboard again :chug:

Wicked stuff Glitch!:clap: Kind of makes me want to go over there...:evil:
The KLR is a special kind of bike. I found it easy to scape the pegs but for me it was to do with bottoming it out around corners at the same time!! :bs

Must say, I was a little surprised about the Kwak. A hell of a lot of bike for the buck. Didn't have any bottoming-out despite the rear end only being wound halfway. Didn't carry a lot of gear though...

I was mentioning it to a woman in Denver at the Conference dinner I was at who said, she had 3 HD's sitting in her garage not 5 minutes away and I could have had them all week for nothing.

Yep, that sounds right. Folks over there are like that.

On the other hand, bike-ownership is a lot less costly over there (at least in Oregon). The first 4 years of rego are US$77 (yes, for 4 years!!), each subsequent 2 years a further US$44.

Full comp insurance, incorporating 3.party/ property (with a good rating) is ~$200/ year for the KLR.
That's less than 30% of what it is here in AUS.
No surprise that multiple bike ownership is quite common in the States.

Hire bikes are a different thing though....looks like the insurances are recouping heavily at that end of the market.

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Hi Pete,
as always,
very interesting description and .....
beautiful pictures of your ride.

A fantastic travelogue!

Wasn´t a complete change for you?
without Aussie-Friends and BMW's..... :-O

Chally

Tour Pro
Thanks Pete. I am totally confused (not that that takes a lot of doing) as I thought that was you in that photo because of the grey jacket. That camera is a G series. Anyway it's just great that the three of you all had cameras so we get to see some really great shots.

Jeff

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:chug:
Hi Pete,
as always,
very interesting description and .....
beautiful pictures of your ride.

A fantastic travelogue!

Wasn´t a complete change for you?
without Aussie-Friends and BMW's..... :-O

Hi Hans
Glad you like it, mate.:so
It sure was a change...no Aussies, no Beemers ....
Also no Quark, passes or a million hairpins:???:
It sure was fun though....and great to see something new, too.
Greats to Vienna :chug::chug:

Thanks Pete. I am totally confused (not that that takes a lot of doing) as I thought that was you in that photo because of the grey jacket. That camera is a G series. Anyway it's just great that the three of you all had cameras so we get to see some really great shots.

Jeff

:bs I've had the light-grey Tourmaster jacket, Jimbo alternated between the dark grey and the fluoro-yellow jackets.
Yo, no trip without cameras for everyone. No trip ever comes back...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Last night’s stir-fry was a bit of a gourmet affair :clap:, Goodie didn’t hold back after that Supermarket shopping-frenzy. Food in general is just that much cheaper than in Aus, it’s not funny. :rolleyes:

Pay for your petrol and grab a 0.5liter can of Coke out of the servo’s fridge….99cents!!
This ain’t a special or something; it’s actually printed on the can. And that’s what you pay.
Munchies from the same counter between 80cents for a bag of chips to $2 for a muesli bar.
$5-10 for a bottle of local vino, red or white, bought at the servo/ supermarket/ bottle shop…all the same. Aussie Yellowtail is $7 a bottle…not that it’s much good, but it certainly only costs what its worth.

Most foods incl. basics, fruit and veg, whatever… are around 50-70% of their Aussie equivalent.
Same with most other items from toiletries to household items.
Makes you seriously wonder who’s scooping the cream off the top in Aussie-Land!! :mad:

Whatever…let’s ride. It’s a day without Jimbo and we’ve picked Klamath Falls in the East as our target.

Sounds like a decent-sized waterfall even though it’s the name of a decent-sized town….and instead of the Route66 East we’ll take the Dead Indian Memorial Rd…..sounds corny enough, aye?:lol:

First time on our own, navigation proves a bit tricky until we’re through Ashland.
Now, Ashland….only 20k’s north of the Californian border, it’s a cute, slightly yuppie “white” town….various open-air stages grace the town of Shakespeare fame

There’s the University of Southern Oregon which might be responsible for the street-cafés and Vespa culture of the place….or could it be the deer that munches away at the greenery of the town-center?
Those buggers are everywhere and aren’t fussed at all by a bunch of pushbikes going past at 5ft distance and at 30kmh….in the middle of the day, no less.

Deer seem to be around everywhere, anyway…schoolyards, industrial sites, domestic front and backyards, shopping center car parks, traffic islands, freeway center divide...you name it.:eek::eek:

Back to the Dead Indian…the climb out of the Rogue Valley is a ripper…Twisties Supreme.

US2010_085.jpg

All too soon we’re on the High Plains…things straighten out.

US2010_086.jpg

US2010_087.jpg

US2010_087a.jpg

US2010_087b.jpg

Still in abundance around here…the good, old International Scout 4WD….nearly as old as the famous Willys.

US2010_088.jpg

Shedding some clobber in the pine-plantations

US2010_089.jpg

Well….we made it to Klamath Falls…made it through Klamath Falls….there are no falls in Klamath Falls…and the lava fields to the south proved to be quite a stretch.:oops::oops:

So we turned around and took the 66 back towards Ashland.

US2010_090.jpg

US2010_092.jpg

Seen all too often…white males, 35-50y/o, roaming the countryside, sleeping in drains and under bridges, carrying their belongings, looking for work. Hand-drawn cardboard signs, standing at intersections or at the side of the road….and it’s obvious that they’re looking after themselves…still clean-shaven and clothed.

Not your wino or dropout…the GFC has a firm grip on the place and not all the victims are “poor blacks”.

US2010_091.jpg

Not really the picture one associates with the mighty Uncle Sam.

Another picture that doesn’t belong…a snow and glacier-clad Mt. Shasta, a stand-alone 4000m+ giant….the presence, amongst the rolling hills in the foreground, is incongruous.

US2010_093.jpg

US2010_094.jpg

US2010_095.jpg

40k’s east of Ashland the dense forest starts…the moss-covered trunks look like they have green beards.

US2010_096.jpg

Top Bottom