AusTouring.com  


Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes Language
Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #31
nev
Super Térrarist
 
nev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensborough Vic
Posts: 3,579
Default Re: Nev & Jo NZ2018 South Island

Day 12 Reefton to Mt Lyford

Just out of town on the way into Reefton there was a signpost to a lookout. First thing this morning we headed up that road. After a km or so the lookout was signposted off the bitumen onto a dirt road, which then let to another, and another dirt track, and at some point the track really deteriorated to the point where it wasn’t safe to ride any more, so we turned about. No Lookout photos, but here is one on the way back down the track.



Then we headed out to lewis pass.



Morning tea was a pie at a cafe at the interesection of Hwy 65 & Hwy 7. Then fuel at Hanmer Springs, and a lunch stop at a bakery in Culverden.
From Culverden we headed east over the hills. We’d come down this road in the opposite direction on our last trip here in 2012.



Quote:
image from 2012




About a dozen gates to be negotiated on this road which runs over hills and through valleys and a few fords. At one paddock as I got off to open a gate I noticed a lamb which had attempted to jump a gate on the other side of the paddock to get away from the bikes. It had somehow managed to get itself hooked on the gate, with one of it’s hind legs stuck in the cyclone pattern from the far side of the gate and the other stuck in the cyclone on the near side. Lucky it was only a lamb and not a full sized sheep. Fortunately the poor thing stopped struggling as soon as I got there and tried to help it, and I had to lift the animal above the gate in order to be able to get it out of it’s predicament. As we rode off, the lamb abandoned the rest of it’s flock and started making a bee line to follow our motorbikes, so we had to make a hasty exit.

We visited the beach down at Port Robinson,



Then we took the sealed Leader Road back from Hwy 1 to Waiau (pronounced Why-oh) where we stopped for an icypole and fuel.

This section of road I have ridden through on each of the 3 trips I have done to the NZ south island, and each time I have stopped to take a photo. You can see that a lot of restoration work has taken place reinforcing the road as it climbs up the hill. Many of the roads in this area were damaged in the 2016 earthquake. The epicentre was about 10km south of Waiau.

November 2018


Quote:
March 2012


Quote:
August 2009
Our stop for the night was at the Mt Lyford Lodge. A big log cabin with bar. Restaurant, some motel type rooms and some bunkhouse accommodation. No telephone service or television and the wifi was quite flakey so it did become the one night of the trip when were were disconnected, resorting to reading books and sleeping early.



__________________
Nev..
'13 TR650 Terra
'14 XT1200ZE Super Ténéré
nev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #32
nev
Super Térrarist
 
nev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensborough Vic
Posts: 3,579
Default Re: Nev & Jo NZ2018 South Island

Day 13 Mt Lyford to Richmond

Today wasn’t a terribly exciting day. We rode up to Kaikoura and stopped at a roadside caravan for a whitebait sandwich. This was the highlight of the day. We’d seen whitebait fishing shacks down south and up the west coast, and plenty of pubs had whitebait patties on their menus, but this was our first taste.

The Whitebait patties are an egg omelete with tiny little whitebait added. Ours is served on fresh bread with butter. The whitebait pattie melts the butter into the bread. It’s the best breakfast I’ve eaten for a long time. The whitebait is not very fishy, in fact the taste barely registers.


North of Kaikoura the road is damp in places and the sky is bleak, but it stays dry.
There are plenty of stretches of roadworks repairing stretches of earthquake damaged roads, and preventing further landslides.



In Picton we stop to take in the view before moving on





30km of twisties along Queen Charlotte Drive followed by a lunch of mussels in Havelock. After lunch we continue to Nelson, and stay in Richmond, which is part of the urban sprawl of Nelson
__________________
Nev..
'13 TR650 Terra
'14 XT1200ZE Super Ténéré
nev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #33
glitch
Mapping the next ride...
 
glitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 15,733
Default Re: Nev & Jo NZ2018 South Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post
From Culverden we headed east over the hills. We’d come down this road in the opposite direction on our last trip here in 2012.




A.k.a the Old Culverden Stock Route. What a nice, little cut-through.
Come to think of it, I've never done it North-to-South.
There's another worthwhile connector to/ from SH1/ Coastal Hwy.
The Random Spur runs from the Kaiwara Rd. to Cheviot on SH1.
Can be a handful for big bikes after rain, sections are just grass and earth.

Got some flashy panniers hanging off that DR !!





Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post

I noticed a lamb which had attempted to jump a gate on the other side of the paddock to get away from the bikes. It had somehow managed to get itself hooked on the gate, with one of it’s hind legs stuck in the cyclone pattern from the far side of the gate and the other stuck in the cyclone on the near side. Lucky it was only a lamb and not a full sized sheep. Fortunately the poor thing stopped struggling as soon as I got there and tried to help it, and I had to lift the animal above the gate in order to be able to get it out of it’s predicament. As we rode off, the lamb abandoned the rest of it’s flock and started making a bee line to follow our motorbikes, so we had to make a hasty exit.

What is it with you, sheep and the South Island?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post

Our stop for the night was at the Mt Lyford Lodge. A big log cabin with bar. Restaurant, some motel type rooms and some bunkhouse accommodation. No telephone service or television and the wifi was quite flakey so it did become the one night of the trip when were were disconnected, resorting to reading books and sleeping early.






More great shots!
__________________
Cheers
Pete
glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #34
nev
Super Térrarist
 
nev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensborough Vic
Posts: 3,579
Default Re: Nev & Jo NZ2018 South Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
What is it with you, sheep and the South Island?
hahaha that's what Jo wants to know too... she thinks it must be something to do with my NZ ancestry?
__________________
Nev..
'13 TR650 Terra
'14 XT1200ZE Super Ténéré
nev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #35
nev
Super Térrarist
 
nev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensborough Vic
Posts: 3,579
Default Re: Nev & Jo NZ2018 South Island

Day 14 Richmond

We had a rest day here, bummed around a bit and went for a ride up to Nelson. There was a vintage car/bike display day at an historic homestead so that was our destination. All of the cars and bikes arrived under their own power (no trailers).



















A quick stop at a lookout on the way back to Richmond, looking over Tasman Bay.

__________________
Nev..
'13 TR650 Terra
'14 XT1200ZE Super Ténéré
nev is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:35 PM.


All information contained on this site is © 2007-2008 to Austouring.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.