Charge Of The Midgets pt.2_Cape York on 110cc

C

Catteeclan

Hi buddy....what a surprise to see you here....BIG WELCOME !!! :glu:glu

SURE!!.... just post the link on other sites!!

Those little bikes are really AMAZING!! Tough as nails.
Never chucked a bike as often as on this trip, the abuse on every component was horrendous. Launched into the bush a half-dozen times an hour, fallen over time and again, slipping clutches, water-in-engine oil, semi-drowned in creeks and rivers, sand, dust....and carrying at least 1.5 times their weight.....all that and lots more on a tiny 110cc and a pressed-steel frame and swingarm, forklegs like broomsticks and push-bike tyres.....
INCREDIBLE!! :glu:glu

Many thanks kind sir.
Linked to here.
http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=10086

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
NO....IT'S NOT FINISHED YET

....just a really busy weekend !!
Back into it tomorrow.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The concert is stumping….still dark, walls of water hammer the roof… it’s not a decent rain, but it sounds and looks like Armageddon.:eek::eek:

Welcome to the Tropics, I guess…:rolleyes:

The Travel-Rhythm is, by now, long established…eyes get heavy by 8pm…and out of the fartbag just at the very crack of dawn... or even before.
It keeps bucketing the whole morning, Nev’s got a day off and jams all the “posties” into his car… taking us for some oyster-picking to Daintree Beach Resort at Cape Kimberley!

Aren’t we lucky that the rain didn’t hit a few days before, the last river-crossings would’ve given us some real grief.

Down the beach it’s blowing a gale…the water comes out of the sky horizontally and at 100 miles an hour…the last remaining dry bits of clothing out of our packs barely last 10 secs.
Which still doesn’t deter Rohan and Glen to spent an hour or 2 amongst the rocks while I’m trying to save at least the last pair of jocks by running for the shelter of the resort bar.:so

The genny is cranked up in the afternoon, the computer arcs up, flights get confirmed… and the picture show is on, it’s the first time we see some of the stuff…:thumbs:

We’ll stay another night and Nev gets the dryer going, nothing dries on the line under the porch outside….and it’s getting that pongy smell.:doh:

Nev’s off to work after writing us some ferry-tickets :so...it's a sad Goodbye !!

CYP284.jpg

CYP285.jpg

Rohan packs for home, he’s got to be in Cairns this arvo to drop off his bike with Heath from P+M Couriers in Cairns, then catch a flight tomorrow... Glen and I have another couple of days….

Goodbyes in Mossman!!

CYP285a.jpg

Fern covered trees on the main street…

CYP286.jpg

The face says it all:

DISBELIEVE…it’s all over…AND IT FEELS SOOOO BLOODY WRONG!!! :(:(

CYP286a.jpg

Glen and I turn off the coastal road and enjoy some (sealed) twisties up to Mt. Molloy, even uphill on a screaming in second/third gear- postie they’re a hoot.:D

CYP287.jpg

A bite to eat at a roadside café, the 10min shopping at a Supermarket in Mareeba makes me dizzy….WAY TOO MANY people, cars, traffic…just the whole circus is too much, let’s stock up and get the hell out of here…:looney::rolleyes:

The grey skies of the coast have given way to broken blue skies in the Tablelands above Cairns…

Some frantic calls to organize a camping permit with National Parks and we settle in at Tinaroo Dam…the Camp Area at Fong On Bay holds some great memories, the road in is bumpy as usual and there’s LOADS of space to stretch out…we’re one of only 3 parties sharing the undulated 25acres of foreshore-heaven.

This pond is a bit NIPPY! :eek::eek:

CYP288a.jpg

What a perfectly peaceful place to spend a day, a week, a….

CYP289.jpg

A totally different character than the Cape…but still…there are some things here that draw you back time and again.

CYP290.jpg

Hey…kick back and enjoy the sunset with us….:so

CYP291.jpg

CYP292.jpg

CYP293.jpg

Another sparkler the next morning…time for a cruise around the neighbourhood.

Plant life up here is different again…gone are the stunted trees of the dry, arid North…things are green, lush, bursting with life.

CYP299.jpg

Huge ferns in the tree branches, big fig-trees, tropical stuff I’ve never seen before…we do some walks with shorter stints of riding in between. Some touristy stuff, some more out-of-the-way-places…

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/lake_barrine.html

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/lake_eacham.html

CYP300.jpg

A leisurely coffee at Lake Eacham Roadhouse, watching some other bikes come and go….then back onto the dirt towards Fong On Bay.

An old sign points towards a track past a farm house, the gate is closed, but unlocked:D

CYP301.jpg

The track turns out a surprise….a rollercoaster jungle-track that gets the heart pumping, with a fantastic lookout at the end.

Gilles Lookout, half-overgrown, half-forgotten….JACKPOT!:thumbs:

CYP302.jpg

CYP302a.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Lake Tinaroo….YOU JUST CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF THAT!!!

CYP294.jpg

CYP295.jpg

CYP296.jpg

CYP297.jpg

Sometime through the night…

CYP298.jpg

Into Cairns…and we feel completely out of place.:looney::looney:

Everyday life rushes past but we’re decidedly on “Cape-time”…our little cocoon feels a hell of a lot more sane than what happens all around us.:bang::bang:

A day of sorting through the stuff, chucking out about half of all the gear.
Ripped, torn, busted, leaking….not worth taking home.

Michelle and Alex pop past; it’s an animated night with lots and stories and laughs.:thumbs::chug:

The next morning is spent at the P+M freight depot…”Team Honda” is already paletted… destination Brisbane.

CYP309.jpg

CYP310.jpg

Glen will most probably buy the bike instead of sinking $$ into fixing FNFAST…otherwise he’ll flog it for Rohan in Brisbane.

RR_V6 ...

CYP308.jpg

...and „Plain Jane“

CYP307.jpg

...are ready to return to Melbourne.

There’s NO WAY, those 2 will do another stint of 3 weeks as originally planned.

They’re tired….DEAD-TIRED… and need some major work done before going anywhere.

Seeing the 3 bikes strapped to the palettes dotted across the warehouse floor…things are hurting something BAD.

Walking away from “Plain Jane”, ”Team Honda” and the “RR_V6” just tears me to shreds…:( :(:bang::bang::bang:

stewy

Still young and stupid
wow, what a report, great pics and story....what an achievement, and i bet with time the story gets better and better. :clap:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
wow, what a report, great pics and story....what an achievement, and i bet with time the story gets better and better. :clap:

Nice to hear you enjoyed...and OF COURSE things will get bigger and better over time.
(not that this trip neededs it, though :bs)

S

Stromer

ohh nooo its over :(

great report Pete thanks so much for sharing your trip with us all
I have shared the link with my workmates as well as I have been telling them about you 3 heading up there. So there might be more bandwidth used for a bit

well done you three are awesome :clap:

Tracey

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
ohh nooo its over :(

great report Pete thanks so much for sharing your trip with us all
I have shared the link with my workmates as well as I have been telling them about you 3 heading up there. So there might be more bandwidth used for a bit

well done you three are awesome :clap:

Tracey

All good things come to an end :bs
It's been fun writing it up (working on the German version at the moment) and happy to hear that the yarns are enjoyed by others.

By any means...spread the link/ word:so

While at it:
"By any means" is the latest Charley Boorman series on British TV at the moment.
Travelling overland from Ireland to Sydney..."By Any Means" of transport, that is.

Seen the first 5 of total 6 episodes...making it short: THUMBS DOWN!
It's plain crap!

C

Cupid Stunt

Hi Glitch
I signed up here purely to say....

Very very cool ride and report mate

Cheers

Top Bottom