Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Re: Tornanti road yarns...EuroAlps in OverDrive

Hi Pete,
89 pics for one day
How many will bring the next 35 days?
(Can't wait for the rest)
Rudi

There's a bucketload more for that day alone...but impressions were somewhat overwhelming....and going by our batchelors, it's non-represantative anyway, not enough pics of all the chicks :whistle::whistle:

Looking through some of the folders...it'll definitely go beyond the 1000pics for the complete story :eek::eek:
So.....sort something out for me in the forum once I start to re-write the text in German and start posting at Alpenbiker :bs:bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
On the road....day1

Bouncing around at 5.30am….Tim’s already out the front door for a ciggie…
Today’s THE DAY !!

Rocking up at BiancoBlu at 9, there are 5 bikes lined up in the yard, complete with luggage and tankbags…
BUT only one GS12 and one 650GS, HUHHH?? :eek:
Francesca rolls up and rubs the hiring contracts under our noses….NO WAY !!
The R1150R, the 1150RT and the old 1100RT were definitely NOT on the menu !!!

Tor0103.jpg

Let’s get Renato in…which proves a 2hr. affair, the sun pelts down and we’re sitting there in the shade of the garage, suitcases still unpacked, waiting for El Maestro to explain where the missing 3 Gs’s are…:flame:

Tor0102.jpg

I’ll spare the details.... but eventually he rocks up, things get fairly ugly and frustrating (not just about the wrong bikes, but other things as well). In the end things get sorted, of course he’s got us over a barrel when it comes to the 3 non-GS’s…we’ll have to run with what’s in the yard for the start, bummer !
And that’s what we emailed back and forth about for the last 2.5 years?

BiancoBlu?? NEVER AGAIN !!! :upyrs:

The hope of closing the first day-on-the-road with the Col de Tende (juuuuust across the French border 30km from our stay for the night) had vanished into thin air, dammit !!

(we managed to get two more 2 GS’s ten days later, when we met up with Renato in Martigny/ Switzerland….the third GS never materialized, there weren’t even any replies at all to calls and SMS’s sent over a period of 4 days…before we gave up).

Tor0104.jpg

This wasn’t a good start :(….and some of the bikes had blinking fuel-lights, so they weren’t even fuelled up. Thankfully there was a servo close by….
It’s early afternoon and we’re finally going, YEEHA !!! FINALLY !!!!

Tor0105.jpg

It’s hot, the smog sits like a blanket over the city, we’re soaked with sweat, the packing of the panniers had happened in a rush to get out of there….onto the Autostrada for our run towards Torino, then south towards Cuneo and the mountains near the French border.

Easy enough to find our way onto the Strada, the traffic is dense…after a couple of k’s we’re at the tollbooths.

Tor0106.jpg

The 2 lanes stretch into a 10-lane football-field, signs by the hundreds, which lane is for bikes, which one?? With all the traffic around it’s a stab in the dark, just stay away from those booths signed for trucks…
I pick one, the boomgate is open, the light is red….stop here?? I fiddle with the ticket-machine which turns the light to green, I’m through….wobble across the 4 or 6 lanes of traffic to the right sitting on my gloves, this will a little while till everyone gets through….
Turn around…and they’re all there!!! Huhhh???
“ Ticket? What ticket, the boom was open, thought you had a ticket for all of us…???”
Arggghhhh SHIT !!! The boom was broken !!! Anyone checked the green/red lights?? :doh:

With the BiancoBlu frustration of the morning still in the system, it’s better to just keep going and sort out the mess at the other end, when we have to get off the Strada and pay up…

Roadworks after roadworks, speedlimits that nobody seems to give a shit about…Torino isn’t that far. I dread the looming toll exit before the ring-road around the industrial city and another piece of the toll-Strada, so we cut north-west a little to join another Autostrada that bypasses Torino, hopefully we’ll finish up with only one toll-exit at the end of the whole stretch, rather than sorting out the mess, just to enter another one 10 mins later.

It works and we sail around Torino, tacking south…the smog is still yellowish-brown, it’s still hot and we’re way behind in time.

There’s the sign to Cuneo…we roll onto a smaller, 4-lane apron, pick a booth and let the fun begin...:thun
“Mama Mia!!!” The wall of Italian is SOLID, not a word of English anywhere, the poor, old bastard burries his head in his arms…we ruined his day ! !

After 5 mins he decides to close his booth to all other traffic to sort us out and we’re lucky: no penalties, no max. charges…just the 6Euro50 or something that apply for the stretch we’ve taken…
The heart attack isn’t far off, but he comes through, arms and legs flailing, shouting and muttering… everyone gets a ticket which then has to be handed back to get punched…. we’re DONE.
:clap:

Blood vessels slowly recede below skin-level again as we’re rolling south, an endless stream of smaller towns, the traffic very slowly getting thinner. Farmland, paddocks, vineyards, this is looking better.

A couple of stops to check with some locals, more sign language, heads shaking, pointing…the Google-map I’d printed out helps to find our booked accommodation, one of the local Agroturismo BnB’s, a loose collection of private rooms for rent in private homes.

Tor0107.jpg

Just above the valley and the worst of the smog, the gate opens to a cosy place set amongst a few acres of gardens and surrounding vineyards…Anna has remembered my booking and was expecting us.:chug:

Tor0108.jpg

An angel called Anna !!!!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
On the road...Day 1 cont.

Within minutes we’re off the bikes as she opens house and heart for us…this is like coming HOME !!! :cdle
She offers tea in the garden…not really what we really feel like, but hell….anything will do right now, we’re stuffed!

Tor0112.jpg

Not even there for an hour and all frustration and aggro of the morning have worn off, the Strada-Ticket story is history, the afternoon cools off.

There are bickies and nibblies to go with the tea, there’s laughter and grins, waving hands and pointing fingers, the table covered in maps and Anna, running back and forth to show us photos or bring more tea in between being “mama” to everyone….she’s GREAT !!
Life’s GREAT !! :chug:

Tor0114.jpg

Tor0115.jpg

Tor0116.jpg

We're still laughing, the boots long kicked-off, our Italian improving by the minute, when she comes back, having arranged a booking at her nephew’s restaurant down at the main road, and what a treat THAT turned out to be... Fan-bloody-tastic !

Tor0118.jpg

We walk down the hill on tiny single-laners snaking through the vineyards…. just to shuffle back up a couple of hours later… the local vino is DYNAMITE! :slobb

Tor0109.jpg

Tor0110.jpg

Tor0111.jpg

Tor0113.jpg

The whole 2. level of the place is ours….2 cute, generous bedrooms, a tiled-to-the-ceilings bathroom and a huge rumpus room to spread our gear in…with Anna to top it off, one could stay here for a month…. or three.

A day of frantic Italian traffic, speed limits that are roadside decoration, smoggy flatlands stretching forever and mainly straight roads.

Little did we know that within a few days we’d be cherishing even the shortest stretch of straight….just to take a breather, a tiny break and relaxation, re-grouping the mind… before it was into it again: bends, hairpins from nowhere, tiny single-laners leading into the sky without armcos or any other road-markings at all, bends, bends and more bends.

I didn’t fare any better than the others and I’m certainly well known for being a bends-hound….but this was a whole new ballgame!!! :glu

Now….wait for the breakfast Anna came up with….and we needed it, looking at the day that was to follow!

Tor0117.jpg

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke

but.. I rode back from philip island... I did.. really...

Aahhh forget it.............................................:so

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke

Oh my gawd... Art is showing Anna his map o tassie

You idiot Tim.. you're supposed to get THEM to show YOU the map O tassie :bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

You idiot Tim.. you're supposed to get THEM to show YOU the map O tassie :bs

Naw...he's a smart cookie.
Just getting across what he's after...and no easier way to show it :rofl:

gunner

Hi Pete
It just getting better.Keep on writing.:clap::clap:
I can't wait to read more and see more Picture.
What a Trip.
Guenther

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Hi Pete
It just getting better.Keep on writing.:clap::clap:
I can't wait to read more and see more Picture.
What a Trip.
Guenther

Yeah mate...what a trip!!
Knew you'd like the story and pics :)

Ahh, by the way...since we're onto the new software, threads can now be "rated" (forum-members only). Just scroll to the top, and just below the "page-count" is a button called "rate thread".

M

Michael J

Re: The bikes...

A 2004 GS12 with 70something thousand K’s on the clock

5,000 of which were mine :D (4,500 of those with a couple of broken ribs - crashed it just outside Bertchesgaden in 2006 :( )

Nice guy - Renato. A small operation, but will definitely go the extra mile (or 1.6 kilometers) for you.

Wish I could do 6 weeks at a shot - 2 - 2.5 is the best that I've been able to do. Check out some of my pics at www.fratellibrothers.com/travel for some "Oooh, I remember that" moments. In the meantime, I'll be looking for more of yours.

Cheers

Top Bottom