Backroads to Bright

TimC

Tour Pro
Since everyone else tintopped to Bright, I did it solo. Worked out I wanted to go from Kinglake to Eildon so I could do the Eildon-Jamieson road, but there's no roads in that part of the world on my map, so I plugged the points into the GPS, and programmed "shortest route, gravel" into it, and hoped the technology wouldn't fail me. God knows where it took me, but it felt like it took a couple of hours to put 100km on the clock, and I went up some great little higgledy piggledy logging tracks except that they were too small to be for logging trucks. Or 4wds. Or firetrucks. Had too much fun to take photos.

Coming back, went down the Jamieson, Matlock, Toorongo, Noojee route. Maybe. Since I wasn't trying to be only 2 hours late to the first film (and I had sent the boss a drunken text on Saturday night saying I wouldn't be in on Monday), I could stop to take photos. And get the bike stuck on trees:

(could have probably backtracked only 200m to the previous fork that the GPS was unsure about, but didn't want to risk getting myself further lost)

(map location perhaps viewable publicly? by clicking through, then the named location under my name, then through to the actual map)

Brilliant roads like this:

But shitloads of leaf litter, rocks and sticks flinging up into the cylinders both going up to Bright and coming back. Had to get the telelever balljoint replaced the day after I came back (40,000km service, well planned) because the rubber boot had a hole ripped into it. I wonder if Touratech sell a rubber boot protector? :devil:

Not content with enough solo stupidity, looks like I'll be attempting the Oodnadatta track again this year after WOMAD in a couple of weeks. Hope to come back alive.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
.....(lots of good stuff!) :glu

(map location perhaps viewable publicly? by clicking through, then the named location under my name, then through to the actual map)

Clicking through? Named location? Where, wot? who?
hmmm :???::???::???:

TimC

Tour Pro
Clicking through? Named location? Where, wot? who?
hmmm :???::???::???:

Click on the image, scroll down, some of the images say "Loch Valley, Victoria, AU" (some of them are Noojee), so click on that, and I hope it brings up a map for you and not just me (I marked it as public, but technology...)

nev

Super Térrarist
Yep, hard to work out if you don't know but I eventually found the map and it worked for me. I tried heading down that Ridge Road once, years ago when I had the Buell, but it was really badly rutted and very muddy.

TimC

Tour Pro
Top Bottom