Williamson's Tassie Trials & Tribulations

Williamson

Part of the furniture
You kinda gave it away pretty early on, even used almost exactly the same words to describe it!

Anyway :scull:

Back to the report...

Oooops!!! Probably too many beers for me. Anywway, the others must be feeling a bit on the dumb side .......... or else they don't like a free beer.

I drank your stubby last night, but there's more on the way. I brewed six slabs of Mad Dog Lager (that's U-Brew-It's version of DogBolter) last Saturdee.

That's a grouse gross (I've used that term before, not sure if it's been on AusTouring) of lager. I hope to save at least one stubby for your next visit to Melbourne, they won't last until my next visit to Tassie. That's in 2016 when the Ulysses AGM will be in Launceston.

Back to the report ..... that won't be for a while as my home PC (with the rest of the pics) has crashed. I probably won't get that sorted until I get back from NZ in around three weeks.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Day 5 - Thursday 6 March 2014 - Strahan to Lake Leake to Launceston to Lake Leake

The day's route was something like this:

Strahan to Queenstown was bouncy and twisty, not much fun towing the Elite camper, even with the Mighty ST13 - top speed was around 80km/h. I never thought I'd be glad to see Queenstown.

After topping up stomach, fuel tank and wallet, Phil and I looked for the best part of Queenstown - the road out, and out and up we went. What a road.
:clap::clap:
But I suppose you all know about that. Anyway some pics at the lookout.

See me taking a pic of the 'chicks' in the background - Phil thought his luck had changed.

We got the yougest one (around 70yo) to take a pic of us.

On to Gormanston. The old girl has seen better days.

It was after this the Mighty GSX14's fuel problems started. I got plenty of practice waiting for Phil to catch up.

Sometimes Phil waited for me.

I did not see this view (the rear of the Might GSX14) very often.

Where's Phil?

It was about here that I started to plan our stops using the calendar.

Five minutes later after a nap, I almost missed him.

The fuel problems were getting more frequent, Phil's top speed was sometimes as low as 50km/h. This didn't worry us too much after we turned up the Marlborough Road, around 30km of rough gravel. The Mighty ST didn't mind, can't say the same for the rider.

Lunch at Miena, the to Poatina, down the twisties, to the plains, Campbelltown and Lake Leake.

That climb out from Campbelltown to Lake Leake was something, and I got to experience another three times.
:slobb

Haysey waiting for us, set up tent, quick refresher, then to Launcestion airport, pick up Helen and Karen, back to Lake Leake and party time.

Today's distance: Around 520km - that was a big ride in Tassie, for me.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
On to Gormanston. The old girl has seen better days.

Sad, isn't it....had a chance to pop into "The Estate" up the other side of the road? That's where Gormanston actually used to be.

I did not see this view (the rear of the Might GSX14) very often.

:clap::clap: That thing really is a "Flying Coffin"....well, once the shoddy fuel and fouled carbs were sorted.

Enjoying this....it's a different twang to the same theme...GREAT!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Would be better if you fixed my map ..... what happened there?

Gmaps has been playing up something bad lately...can you post up the map-link WITHOUT trying to embed it?
Either the full link or the short version Gmaps offers when clicked...

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
This didn't worry us too much after we turned up the Marlborough Road, around 30km of rough gravel. The Mighty ST didn't mind, can't say the same for the rider.

Excellent Pics and Report !! Thank You for sharing!
30 km´s gravel and sometimes, even a bit rough ....:thumbs:
I know .... the road surface is the reason, that I´ve lost my gear bag
on the Marlborough Road, next Little Pine Lagoon ...:bs

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Day 6 - Friday 7 March, & Day 7 - Saturday 8 March

Lake Leak to Hobart to Lake Leake went something like this:

Goodie, Karen, Haysey, Phil, Helen and I decided that all this holidaying was hard work, we needed a holiday so we headed for Hobart.

On the way, somebody lead us to a bakery at Swansea, after a pie & chips and skinny mug and plenty if pics (what a view), pity I didn't take any (here's your que Goddie).

We found an old bridge (no surprise):

Checked into Edinburgh Gallery (AKA Faulty Towers), freshened up, walked to Salamanca Place, found the James Squire tavern, found Pete and Tracey, had a few ales, had a few laughs, a lot of bull shyte and the best seafood platter for two ever (and at $78.00 it was great value) and then back to Faulty Towers for the night.

Up early, B&B breakfast, down to Salamanca Markets. Goodie and Karen suitably restrained with purchases, then off to the Museum of Old & New Art at Berriedale, and then some back roads to Richmond where we found Haysey, Karen, Pete and Tracey again, and some dude admiring the Mighty ST13:

Some more back roads and gravel and some old buildings in Oatlands:

And back to Lake Leake for happy hour.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Day 8 - Sunday 9 March

Phil decided it was about time he found out what the cause to loss of power problem was with the GSX 14. Tank off, fuel pump out, filter removed and there was a problem - filter full of gunk and shyte.

Phil looks like he knows what he's doing so we all go for a ride, in different directions and end up all together at Mount Elephant Pancakes. I'm sure that all who participated in lunch would agree that these are pretty good pancakes, so I mention this for any lurkers reading this post.

Between the coast road and Mount Elephant and then St Mary we struck the first and only rain (well that I can remember) for the two weeks. Not much rain but enough for the wet weather gear to be put on, and to spoil the Elephants Pass ride.

Then back to Lake Leake via Fingal and Campbell Town.

Meanwhile, back at Lake Leake Phil gets the GSX14 "fixed", and heads off in pursuit. He must not have spent much time on the repairs as he catches at Campbell Town after a visit to the Iron House Brewery to pick up some supplies and a coffee at Aladdins Caves in Fingal.

Phil must've been impressed with Aladdins Caves, well enough to take this pic:

Or perhaps it was the emergency transport options for sale:

And bikes in background:

It's prudent for sick GSX14 and normal KTM riders to be aware of the alternatives available to them when riding remote areas.

Thankfully a quiet night awaits at Lake Leake.

Top Bottom