Staff member
Hi, Pete,
Thanks for the recommendation

Nearly Upper Hut a dump ..... I do not need:rolleyes:
Wellington does not need to be, I just thought that the capital is worth
seeing.
Highway 1 ..... boring?

Okay, then I take the cross-connect to the Whanganui National Park,
so I save time, which can be used for more interesting Places.

The Road through the Desert to Rangipo I definitely want to ride.
Will take the following directions to Stratford,
as suggested
via the Highways 46/47/4 and 43 (East Road, looks great:glu)
to take a tour around the Mont Egmont.

with greets:clap:
Hans

Yo, HWY 1 from Wellington northwards is boring, one town after another, lots of stops and traffic.
Still, it's only a couple of hours....and Wellington is certainly worth a visit!!
Upper Hut is ok to ride/ drive through, not really a place one wants to stay at.

:bs
Yes, K1W1
I heard the story. :rolleyes:
Will already be so that it more modern now and use less hazardous materials.

Shows, that you don't know the Kiwis :muahaha::muahaha:

Seriously:
I doubt that they can afford to "burn-off" the roads nowadays.
NZ roads are pretty good generally....the rest your DR650 will cope with easily.

It's only 90km from Wellington to Levin on SH1 and once you get past Waikanae the houses stop and you have the Otaki and that's it.
But if you skip it you miss visiting the Southwood Car Museum which is about 60km out of Wellington and would be one of the best car / motorcycle museums in the southern hemisphere.

If you really hate an hour or so in what is not that bad traffic take SH2 from Wellington to Haywards then hang a left onto SH58 and a right onto the Paekakariki (pronounced Pie-cock-a-re-key) Hill road for a spectacular view north up the coastal plane as far as Wanganui on a good day or leave Wellington on SH2 to Brown Owl (just past Upper Hutt) and left onto the Akatarawa Valley Road through to Waikanae. If you want to go to Southwoods you will need to go slightly south (5km ish when you hit SH1).

For views on a good day the Paekakariki Hill Road is spectacular for a blast on a DR the Akatarawa Road will be more fun and more sheltered in bad weather but wetter.

If you are looking for a place in the central North Island to see Geothermal activity that's slightly away from the tourist tracks I highly recommend Orakei Korako. It's a fantastic place, very natural and what's more there is a caravan park right there for na overnight stay if you want.

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
It's only 90km from Wellington to Levin on SH1 and once you get past Waikanae the houses stop and you have the Otaki and that's it.
But if you skip it you miss visiting the Southwood Car Museum which is about 60km out of Wellington and would be one of the best car / motorcycle museums in the southern hemisphere.

If you really hate an hour or so in what is not that bad traffic take SH2 from Wellington to Haywards then hang a left onto SH58 and a right onto the Paekakariki (pronounced Pie-cock-a-re-key) Hill road for a spectacular view north up the coastal plane as far as Wanganui on a good day or leave Wellington on SH2 to Brown Owl (just past Upper Hutt) and left onto the Akatarawa Valley Road through to Waikanae. If you want to go to Southwoods you will need to go slightly south (5km ish when you hit SH1).

For views on a good day the Paekakariki Hill Road is spectacular for a blast on a DR the Akatarawa Road will be more fun and more sheltered in bad weather but wetter.

If you are looking for a place in the central North Island to see Geothermal activity that's slightly away from the tourist tracks I highly recommend Orakei Korako. It's a fantastic place, very natural and what's more there is a caravan park right there for na overnight stay if you want.

Hi, K1W1
Fantastic! Thank You:gday:
I will immediately see the map.
With greetings from the foggy cold and wet Austria
Hans

Kiwikev

Getting the hang of it
okies.. maraeti isnt a big spot.. its on the beach..
When you get the bike. keep going . follow the beach...
you will come to a right hander. be carefull its native there and a bit twisty.keep going which will bring you down to the seabird coast.. good ride. brings you out on the main road to Thames...
boring,,,,, go up the coast rd..... take it easy... iam telling ya. logging trucks use that road. and its a bit tight in places.. very scenic. and lots of roads to explore...
up the top is nice, but lots of gravel..... down the other side to whitianga.. and on with your journey.
good luck.....
watch out for those pig hunters up there..
they are are rough mob..
Kev

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Many Thanks Kev:chug:

will use caution, the first days from Maraetai ........
due to: "wrong traffic" :wow:.

be carefull its native there and a bit twisty
I like it !

very scenic. and lots of roads to explore...
will take a lot of time and am extremely curious.

up the top is nice, but lots of gravel..... down the other side to whitianga.. and on with your journey. good luck.....
Thanks a lot Kev, I'm looking forward.

watch out for those pig hunters up there.. they are are rough mob..
Are pig hunters race directors ?:devil:

many greets from austria

hans

Kiwikev

Getting the hang of it
left a bit out.. when you leave maraeti..
head for clevdon.. it aint big either.turn left at the rowndabout.
head for kawa kawa bay...
over the hills. and onto the seabird coast...
head for thames and up the coast......
when you get to Tapu. there is a road on the right called the coroglen rd
a few ks up there... their is a kauri tree// and it is square... not round/
people reckon that it started off as a seedling in a kerosine tin....

Kev

Re: My first 14 Days-Trip to the North of New Zealand

I noticed on the map that you have a trip from Taupo south to Turangi and then back to Taupo. I wouldn't bother to be honest. That piece of road isn't particularly exciting and it doesn't even follow the edge of the lake for much of the way. There is nothing to see or do at Turangi (unless you are a fisherman who like standing chest deep in the river at dawn fly fishing) when you get there.

If you are going to travel down the road to get somewhere then fine but a return trip won't provide any thrills in any way.

Top Bottom