March Meander

nev

Super Térrarist
An early start from Quorn to beat the heat later in the day, we were out on the road at 8:30 and heading north, past Hawker and off the bitumen at the Bunyeroo Rd. The dirt started off pretty good, got a little narrower and rockier but pretty good shape for the first 15km or so.

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

Every adv ride report from the Flinder's Ranges includes a photo taken at Razorback lookout so this shall be no exception. (I'm sure the National parks service only manicure this small stretch of road which is visible in photos from this lookout because they are so common, however it is by far the best section of road for the entire length of Bunyeroo Rd.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

A few km further on we reach the Bunyeroo Gorge. The road is the creek for the next few km. Fortunately it is not sandy or muddy. The creek bed / road consists mostly of small shaley type rock and I guess a lot of 4WD vehicles passing through keep it well compressed. Even under the weight of the Super Tenere it feels like riding on bitumen.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102-PANO.jpg

Once off there we're on the Brachina Gorge road heading west. This road is also a rocky creekbed for the first 9km but no water and the rocks don't move around under the wheels like some of the rocky creek beds we rode on the NZ south island.

IMG_0105.JPG

The last 10km of this road was almost a racetrack down to the Outback Hwy.

IMG_0108-ANIMATION.gif

South again, to Hawker. On this leg of 70km or so we saw many emus and a few roos. Most of the emus were in the scrub but a couple were on the road. One roo was asleep in the shade under a tree on the gravel on the edge of the road. I stopped right in front of him. He wearily looked up, like anyone rudely awoken from a nap, took a few seconds to come to his senses then the shock that 2 motorbikes were only a few feet away then scrambled to his feet and hopped off.

IMG_0115.JPG

Seeking shade and cold drinks in Carrieton. There was a small amount of shade, but no cold drinks.

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

Fortunately we found cold drinks at a cafe in Orroroo

IMG_0127.JPG

Some snug shelter for the bikes at motel behind a pub in Jamestown.

IMG_20170318_155411.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
I plotted a route avoiding as much of the main highways as possible back into Victoria. Through Booborowie, and past many wind turbines, and rolling treeless hills.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

Down the World's End Highway

IMG_0148.JPG

Through Robertson

IMG_0149.JPG

and Eudunda.

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

Saw the odd bit of wildlife

IMG_0157.JPG

Crossed the Murray on the Swan Reach Ferry

IMG_0159.JPG

Stopped in Loxton for Lunch

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

And an icypole at Lake Cullulleraine. Did I mention the temp was in the low-mid 30s all day

IMG_0167.JPG

Not sure about the plastic covers over the grape vines...
IMG_0169.JPG

And finally across the Murray River again into NSW and stopped for the night at Wentworth at the junction of the Murray and Darling Rivers.

IMG_0171.JPG

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Ride your bike to work tomorrow. After work, instead of turning left, turn right. Tell them you might be absent for a few days :)

I wouldn't call it work, more like the place i go to get paid. I will take your advice though..:lao

nev

Super Térrarist
So what did you think of the S10 in the dirt?

I haven't really thought about it, but since you ask, I have, and I find it very easy to ride on the loose stuff, even the not too deep sandy sections it pushed through quite nicely. Although, all of the dirt roads I have done on this trip have been at a very leisurely pace. I'm sure on a 660 single I'd have been tempted to tear up the roads a bit more, but to compare like to like, the S10 feels very comfortable off the bitumen and I had no 'moments' at all. Always feels very much under control. In comparison, to say a Vstrom 1000, the Vstrom always felt quite distant, not so much as the bike and rider were a connected package that I can feel on the S10.. Maybe because it has the electronic suspension and I can choose an appropriate setting for different conditions while on the Strom, the suspension was never touched?

Top Bottom