The Long-White-Cloud Spectacular__NZ South Island 2012

Eddieb

Getting the hang of it
There is one 100m section on the way down thats a bit
shalely but other than that the rest down has good brakeing..
I went over it 2 weeks ago with a group from the North Island
they were packed up for a 3 day trip.. no probs..

It was good of you to join us too Pete.

I thought the Porika was pretty steep most of the way down, though the braking surface was good you were on the brakes quite hard the whole way down.
Porika had quite a few fist sized rocks in the most unfortunate of places too, i.e right where I wanted to be.

Pete's got a chair on a baby bike too.

Maruia saddle is great isn't it, the group I took down hadn't done it before and they all loved it.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It was good of you to join us too Pete.

I thought the Porika was pretty steep most of the way down, though the braking surface was good you were on the brakes quite hard the whole way down.
Porika had quite a few fist sized rocks in the most unfortunate of places too, i.e right where I wanted to be.

Pete's got a chair on a baby bike too.

Maruia saddle is great isn't it, the group I took down hadn't done it before and they all loved it.

Yeah, Maruia is a little gem....wished, it was as long as the Molesworth though :bs Wondering now if Porika was anything like the Black Forest Station track, the southern end of it, near the dam/ powerstation.
That was fairly steep and rough and rutted, the rest was easy enough.

(Or was it, Rob?? That's the one you went for the pike and double-twist into the creek) :guff:guff

Eddieb

Getting the hang of it
Yeah, Maruia is a little gem....wished, it was as long at the Molesworth though :bs Wondering now if Porika was anything like the Black Forest Station track, the southern end of it, near the dam/ powerstation.
That was fairly steep and rough and rutted, the rest was easy enough.

(Or was it, Rob?? That's the one you went for the pike and double-twist into the creek) :guff:guff

No, Porika is way steeper than Black Forest Station, and rougher.

Eddieb

Getting the hang of it
Will go and have a look next time....lots of "unfinished business" on the SI yet !

What till I post video of Edwards Track & Mallings Pass off the Rainbow Road. They made Molesworth look a bit plain in places.

Just got to rebuild my pc first and get my editing software reinstalled.

In the meantime go here, and switch to full screen mode to view the pics as they are all hi res https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.379782082043526.88805.195801783774891&type=1

468086_380049925350075_195801783774891_1280410_401211994_o.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
What till I post video of Edwards Track & Mallings Pass off the Rainbow Road. They made Molesworth look a bit plain in places.

Oh man...sweet pics. Molesworth certainly is quite plain...as a ride, that is.
Scenery is awesome!!

nev

Super Térrarist
and a few of mine..

Do NZ still claim to be nuclear free ?

IMG_0318.JPG

At the end of the Maruia Saddle road... probably one of the best roads on our trip.

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

and the ballbearings on the Lake Colleridge road probably one of the worst..

IMG_0338.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
and the ballbearings on the Lake Colleridge road probably one of the worst..

:thumbs: Forgot about that...'twas pretty shitty, you're right.

But so was the deep gravel on the western half of the Mackenzies Pass....that was a poofteenth off a tankslapper at 30kmh-100kmh, jeezaz. And don't you dare cut across the center-strip:eek::eek:

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Finally caught up! You guys have been busy in my absence! Well, the Lake Coleridge was fairly crappy, but I think the scenery coming down into Rakaia Gorge was worth it, before the skies fell on us on the way into Methven...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
You guys have been busy in my absence! ...

Yeah, well....can't wait for the slow-coaches :bt

Got roads to ride, places to see, bones to gnaw (oops, that was a Tassie-Dave at the end) and creeks to dive-bomb.:thumbs:

Top Bottom