The Long-White-Cloud Spectacular__NZ South Island 2012

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
A quick dogleg onto Tophouse Rd. in search for a well-deserved beer at NZ’s smallest bar and most-picturesque pub ends in tears…the bloody joint is closed today!! BUMMER!!!
icon_devil_.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0341.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0342.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0336.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0343.JPG

Nothing for it, the beer’s gotta wait. A quick blurt through the sand-fly riddled St. Arnaud ….

NZ_SI_2012_0344.JPG

…following the Buller River for a bit…

NZ_SI_2012_0345.JPG

…..and on to the turnoff to Lake Rotoroa.

NZ_SI_2012_0346.JPG

After nearly 2 days of solid dirt and gravel roads, this sign stirs a bit of doubt.
Should we, shouldn’t we….petrol, time of day, daylight left, the need to find a bed for the night before the day is out etc….it all swirls around in the grey-matter, trying to weigh common sense against the urge of discovery.
Let’s go and have a look, it’s only 12 or 15k’s through, anyway.

NZ_SI_2012_0347.JPG

It all proves a total fizzer… granny on a skateboard could’ve done it.
Or I've could’ve done it on this and cut the grass at the same time.

NZ_SI_2012_0349.JPG

The “hairiest” of the Braeburn Track is a concreted ford with 8” of water, a bit of a laugh after the last couple of days.

NZ_SI_2012_0348.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Most of the Mangles Valley Road is sealed, winding its picturesque way through lush farmland….

NZ_SI_2012_0350.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0351.JPG

…into Murchison. A sign in the paddocks before town gives directions to the Mataki-Motel, located well off the main drag, which proves a lucky choice.
spoton.gif

Great folks running the place…and they put us up in some excellent digs.
Everything clean, modern and generously sized, with plenty of room out front to lube chains, cable-tie bits back into place what’ve come adrift, re-rig the luggage and do a few little repairs.

NZ_SI_2012_0352.JPG

No idea where Bernard dug up this one…but that’s a super-rare find in NZ…an ORIGINAL Kiwi!
(edit: can that, it's a common Weka!)

NZ_SI_2012_0353.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0354.JPG

A night, like those before it…laughs, tall stories, burning faces, hands in the air describing the acrobatic exploits of the day, more laughs… it just doesn’t get better than that.
icon_beerchug_.gif
icon_beerchug_.gif

And this one definitely went into the doggie-bag, eh Dave?
bs2.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0355.JPG

The weather forecast is promising rain for the north for the next few days…but who gives a fat-rat's-bum? That’s tomorrow…

Crustyvarmint

Back road wanderer
Thanks for this report Pete and crew. It's fantastic. I've toured in a motorhome and would love to go back and do it by bike sometime. Till then, keep the story comin'

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Thanks for this report Pete and crew. It's fantastic. I've toured in a motorhome and would love to go back and do it by bike sometime. Till then, keep the story comin'

Happy you're enjoying it, mate :so

If you like, pop a link into the Ranges Uly forum, too.

Didn't even make half the 36er-list , so we've gotta go back. I hate unfinished business, particularly of that sort of kind :whistle:

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Your all pictures are fantastic!!
Where is the next plane to Christcurch ???? ;-))))

platypus121

Tour Pro
No idea where Bernard dug up this one…but that’s a super-rare find in NZ…an ORIGINAL Kiwi!

NZ_SI_2012_0353.JPG

No such luck, I'm afraid, it's just a common old weka or woodhen - often mistaken for the kiwi as it looks similar and is also flightless.
Unlike the kiwi, it is bold and will approach within hands-reach if food is offered.

Thought Tassie Dave would like to know this.

Top Bottom