Peaks + Perks....New England (US) picture book

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Edit:
Since the topic has been split into various threads, here are the links to all the parts, in their chronological order.

Checking on Uncle Sam....travel notes, beer and aspen-gold

Peaks + Perks....New England (US) picture book

A Touch Of Quebec (Canada)

Lobster-Tales (Maine, US)

A World Of Its Own...Colorado + The Rockies

Enjoy! :scull:

A 2-week bimble along some of the natural highlights of New England, the USA's Far North-East.
Some of it would be heaven on a bike...for other parts we were rather happier with the little Toyota Prius rental-hack. Sadly the much anticipated "fall-colours" the area is well-known for were late this year...which certainly didn't sour the journey, though.
As for the Prius...sorted out some of the hundreds of buttons/ settings/ gizmo-crap and sequences through that fortnight, but the ridiculously low fuel consumption (~4.5l/ 100k's average) and the surprising "off-road" capabilities made up for a lot!! (it's a rental, right?)

:chug::chug:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Starting in the south and with the highest peak Massachusetts has to offer.
Right down the furthest north-west corner of the small state....Mt. Greylock.

Now, here's a bike-road!
The Skyline Trail is one sweet country road running north-west from Westfield, MA to Hinsdale, MA via undulating farmland and tiny hamlets.

Skyline Trail = https://goo.gl/maps/74q8NowHYiJ2

US2016_0014.JPG

Trump-et!:p

US2016_0015.JPG

Sadly Mt. Greylock was in the clouds despite it's paltry 1060m asl....

US2016_M_0001.JPG

so we shot north to North Adams https://goo.gl/maps/1X416EwEUh32

US2016_0016.JPG

....a cute, little mining town and base of the Natural Bridge State Park, an old marble quarry and gorge well worth visiting!!

US2016_0017.JPG

US2016_M_0003a.JPG

White marble everywhere!!

US2016_M_0005.JPG

US2016_M_0006.JPG

Just ducking north a few miles into Vermont and Wilmington turns out a little tourist town with nearby skifields.

US2016_0022.JPG

The Viking Motel is a cute "yesteryear" kind of place with friendly hosts and a fire-hydrant out front (note the flag when "in use"!!)

US2016_0021.JPG

Some arty-farty plumbing around those ornate timber bits....:clap:

US2016_0023.JPG

...and I mentioned great local BREWS, didn't I?? :wink:

US2016_0024.JPG

Dot's Diner is a "hot address" around here
....easy to see why!! :thumbs:

US2016_0025.JPG

US2016_0026.JPG

US2016_0027.JPG

Flower Power...

US2016_0028.JPG

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Yum! Those chips look good. They've got crunchy bits sticking out. And the beans and carrots are glistening. I think the trick is a little cornflour in the boiling water as they're parboiled. Is that cranberry sauce drizzled over that chicken? I think I better try to replicate that dish 'cause I sure ain't getting a leave pass to go to Dot's Diner.

Edit.. Just followed your link to Dot's and I see it's Maple Berry Chicken. Never heard of Maple Berries. W-)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
No idea about any drizzled cornflour or such...but they were real potato chips, none of the Maccas reconstituted SpakFilla sort :thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Stone puddles??:eek:

US2016_0029.JPG

Making up for the Mt. Greylock non-event, Stratton Mountain in the south-west corner of Vermont’s Green Mountains+ Finger Lakes National Park seems a good place to catch some views...

https://goo.gl/maps/5esSmAZ5EeQ2

....but only via some more of the annual pumpkin-mania, some sort of Thanksgiving thing...or maybe Trump will built “The Wall” from those once elected ? W-)

US2016_0030.JPG

Stratton Mountain/ Green Mountains NP, Vermont

US2016_0031.JPG

US2016_M_0007.JPG

US2016_M_0008.JPG

US2016_M_0009.JPG

US2016_0033.JPG

Zigzagging north towards the northern parts of the Green Mountains ...

US2016_0034.JPG

US2016_0035.JPG

Your own pulpit, your own bell!! Just think of the possibilities, hooray!! :bs

US2016_0037.JPG

US2016_0038.JPG

US2016_M_0011.JPG

US2016_M_0013.JPG

US2016_M_0014.JPG

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Bloody amateurs, you must have reset your camera's calibration back to Aus at that gorge, the pics are upside down!

That silo looks like it's trying to emulate the upcoming road, too. Nice and green.

Looking forward to the rest :thumbs:

Top Bottom