A Very Fuzzy Tassie 2014

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Some nice pics there Fuzz keep 'em coming.

How come you can insert GMas? Let Pete and me know the secret.

They're just .jpg's , mate...hit the print-screen key on the KB, paste into some grafix-app, save as a pic, upload to where ever, then link into the thread/ post like any other pic.

Tim's at it, trying to solve the puzzle and get the correct BBcode to resolve the new Gmaps addresses.
Other forums have the same trouble and everyone's scrambling to get things going again.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Day 14

We awoke at the Great Lake Motel to a cold and foggy morning. Much of the lake water appeared to have been sucked up into the air and deposited on our bikes bit by bit. We started a production line of toast, then packed up and out the door into the gloom.

The plan was to head over to Jacob's Ladder for a bit of a climb, and then through some backwoods where we would end up in the Weldborough vicinity.

As we headed around the lakes the fog was patchy, with light coming through promising a lifting of the gloom and making for a spectacular sight.

14080315944_0b2fbe74f4_b.jpg

If fact, just the opposite happened as we swung north toward Poatina. The fog closed in around us until visibility was down to less than 10 meters. First the visor fogged then my glasses fogged, so I was forced to ride visor open looking over the top of my glasses as the heavy moisture in the air stung my eyes. Quite unnerving as we came down the hairpins of the Great Western Tier.

Fortunately the fog lifted as we go to the bottom of the Teir and we quickly made time passing through Cressy and around the Longford race course. We stopped near the bridge at Woolmer Estate for a snack and a rest.

We continue on throught he delightful farmland, along those awesome little country roads, turning off to head into the bush toward Jacobs Ladder. It amazing how crap the roads become as soon as you enter a National Park!

DSC01618-10.jpg

Fun times spinning up the wheels on the big Katoom as the road became steeper, and the ladder itself is a very steep and slippery set of switchbacks. A very rugged and beautiful place that had the camers snapping away at each turn.

I love this pic so much!

And some more without Doug in the way

DSC01625-11.jpg

DSC01622-10.jpg

DSC01629-12.jpg

DSC01636-13.jpg

After gawking like a slack jawed yokel at the scenery, we headed up to Ben Lomond village for a coffee, only to find it deserted and tumble weed strewn with the only occupants a couple of wallabies who mistakenly thought they were hidden in the undergrowth.

Back down the slippery slope of The Ladder I had the only 'moment' for the entire trip. I was being way to careful and slow, and after running too wide on a corner I made the worst mistake possible on a steep uneven surface. I stopped. I put my left leg down to ground, slipped and felt the bike just balance on the tipping point before I reeled it it. And so the Katoom, held together only by bits of wire and my love for it, remained one of the few un-fallen.

Back down on the road and heading east into the wilds, the scenery remained gorgeous.

Somewhere over the hills via some bumpy logging roads we must crossed into the 1940s. The town of Mathinna was a real time warp. We dined on microwaved pies and milkshakes in the local shop that clearly hadn't changed for 60 years (apart from the microwave), looked upon by The Queen and other icons of that era. One of those amazing little places one only encounters off the beaten track.

The bridge to Ringarooma was down, so we were forced to short cut though the forest and both Pete and I were nearly wiped out by an oncoming pickup as we entered the logging area. Feeling the need for some throttle therapy I gave the mighty 1190 some berries and ate up the dirt roads at speed, practicing little power slides in the corners and spinning up the wheels with abandon. Some complaints from the sluggards behind as to the amount of dust I was raising, but you have to break a few eggs yadda yadda.

After waiting an eternity at the turn off to Ringarooma, we continued on via a rough and rocky shortcut to Saint Columba falls. Forest Lodge Road was a real filling loosener and we all needed a rest by the time we reached Ralph's Falls and the lovely little camping area there. Over the top and down the steep and rocky decent, we eventually reached Saint Columba falls and went for a little wander down the stunning and very ferny walk to the base of the falls.

DSC01643-14.jpg

As it happens, the best view of the actual falls was from the road! D'oh!

DSC01655-10.jpg

Feeling all ferned out and in dire need of ale, we headed back down through Pyengana and onto the road to Weldborough, and what a cracker of a road it is. All weariness slipped away as I chased Pete all the way to the Weldborough pub. What a great little pub it is too. Awesome selection of local beers, super comfy beds, cosy surrounds and welcoming staff. I'd stay there again in an instant.

Our route for today

Morning

tassie%20day%2014%20AM.JPG

Afternoon

tassie%20day%2014%20PM.JPG

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Lost Tassie Photos!

Been going through my photos again as Ive finally got around to reviewing some of the video footage in order to get something together incorporating photos of the trip. A few escaped. One such escapee below.

Top Bottom