Mountains, Sweat + Beer...a trip to the tip!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Things get a bit blurry from here...but there's no missing some of the quirky bits of the small Caravan Park... and the camp-kitchen shed in particular.

Great place! :thumbs:

From prayer-shawls

Bruthen2_67.JPG

to skulls and horseshoes (held together by dense cobwebs)

Bruthen2_68.JPG

to the library, memorabilia, statues, the odd Buddha

Bruthen2_69.JPG

and endless nicknax

Bruthen2_70.JPG

...to a candle that looked like some felt after the previous night at the BullAnt.

Bruthen2_71.JPG

No pics along the return leg to Melbourne as Colin of the OpenRoaders crew gladly hand-balled me the navigation job to Tyers via the usual back-roads-route, this time under low, dark skies and enough drizzle and rain to keep everyone on their toes (an extra thanks to Gary here for parking the Katoom in the rain and playing "warning beacon" at the slippery-as-*&^% wet timber bridge at Iguana Creek) :bow:

A big thanks to all and everyone who turned those 4 days into another damn-sweet-time. :woot::woot:

That's it from this corner...luv youse all! :gday:

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
No pics from the Corryong-Benambra Rd....the 70k's dirt section is a fast gravel-highway into Benambra without a lot of features.
Getting into Benambra and knowing that Lake Omeo had enough water to prevent any lake-bed crossing, it was either the long-way-around-the western side...or taking a "shortcut" via a more unconventional route past the local tip!!
And just when it looked like Google maps Sat-view had thrown me a curved ball, there were a couple of faint 4WD tracks past the fencing and through the deep grass along the northern shore. Nearly broke the back of the little Husky when being the only dimwit to pick one of those humongous washouts/ holes that swallowed the entire front-end. It sounded like the fork-stanchions were whizzing past my ears...but no popped seal thus far, knock wood!

Bruthen2_51b.JPG

Zoom into the satellite view

Bruthen2_52.JPG

Bruthen2_53.JPG

I'm having trouble seeing the Benambra (Lakeside) Airport. Do the just use the dry lake bed as a landing strip if there's no water?

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Lake something or other... last time we rode here, there was no water in it.
I'm also just discovering that holding up a phone in the glare of the day makes it very hard to compose a shot. (Also if you've had too much the night before)
I'll re-name this Tipsy Lake !

20170211_095915-X2.jpg

There is always a bridge eh Tim. What colour is the water mate. Green????:scull::scull::killingme:killingme

Those goddamn bridges, motion sickness gets you every time!

20170211_104303-X3.jpg

You see, we do check out interesting historical facts sometimes too.

P1080135-XL.jpg

Then it's back into the Forest.

P1080136-X2.jpg

The Mighty KLR, camouflaged against the backdrop.

P1080137-X2.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I'm having trouble seeing the Benambra (Lakeside) Airport. Do the just use the dry lake bed as a landing strip if there's no water?

Eivind had no trouble at all landing the drone W-)

P1080128-X2.jpg

Jokes aside...saw that on Gmaps too and it's still got me baffled as there's no way to even land/ start a Cessna on the bumpy grass track on top of the embankment/ dam.
Must be the lake-bed...the lake only had water 2-3 times over the last 25 years... I think. But I HAVE seen it often with a dark patch of dirt in the center.
Which would easily leave 100m of dry, flat clay around the perimeter and inside the dam/ embankment.

Top Bottom