Panorama-pics

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
So funding WASN'T an issue - to quote your '09 research (as I've said before, this is such an educational forum !) -

The story behind it?
Back to WW1 and the need for strategically important supply routes. The Austro-Hungarian Army built this marvel in only 3 months to supply the Piave-Front in 1918. Up to 1400 workers (incl. the local old, lame and kids) bust their guts in 3 shifts a day to cut this thing out of the rock. It’s still an engineering marvel by today’s standards.

Somehow, funding never seems to be a problem when it's about war.:bang:
This one was built on the bodies of the local communities under the stick of the occupying military.
No funding, just a big stick.

That aside...the San Boldo isn't really much as a bike-road, especially with the maze of Dolomite-passes just to the north... but it beats all of them on the curiousity and engineering angles.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
This one was built on the bodies of the local communities under the stick of the occupying military.
No funding, just a big stick.

True words indeed - I'll remember that when I visit. Had the same feeling once when in the west of Nepal, admiring a postcard view over a lake reflecting the Himalayas behind it, when my eye was drawn to the gang of women who were resurfacing a road not far away. They were using wheelbarrows and hammers, breaking big rocks into little ones. Not under a military stick, just an economic one.
(Sorry Rudi, a bit off topic).

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Happy Snappy from New Zealand July'13. Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu on the centre-right, The Remarkables on the left (in the foreground, me on the left, 19yo daughter on centre-right, 16yo son's tiny shadow in the middle).

motorradrudi

Tour Pro
View from Eichenberg (near Lindau) to Lake Konstanz

Bodenseepano091112.jpg

on some evening.

Greets
Rudi

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
This one was taken on Duck Creek Rd ( the back way to O'Rielys behind the gold coast ) which is a popular 4WD track, a bunch of us attacked it on motards and had an absolute ball, even moreso with the ride back down to Cannungra on the tight windy bitumen. :glu

Cheers Brian

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
Taken from the tip of Double Island Point looking back past Rainbow beach with Fraser Island at the far right. Was another motard trip up the beach from Noosa for a day trip with mates. :chug:

Cheers Brian

Top Bottom