Hooters, Tooters...and balls of steel

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Actually, it was the lead-in just a couple of 100 meters further to the east.
I went down it a bit more (towards Reedy Creek) for a check out and had the Husky sliding sideways down the dry shale rock slope....was shittin' bricks by then.
It's been too dry for too long for any grip at all, up there.

Williamson

Part of the furniture

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Never one to be able to escape the lure of a railway and/ or steam stuff, this little Kerrisdale quickly puts its hooks in.

It's fabulous stuff!!!
Starting as a little family weekend-getaway/ farmlet it's now grown into a permanent home come tourist attraction at a scale that's hard to believe to be the makings of a band-of-2.
Truly inspiring stuff...and set in a little corner of paradise.

And all just over an hour from Melbourne via the direct route....or right in the midst of some pretty sweet riding-country (of all kinds) if one decides to make a full day out of it.

Hoot 'n Toot

Kerrisdale_M_11.JPG

...and balls of steel! :eek:

Kerrisdale_25.JPG

Kerrisdale_14.JPG

Kerrisdale_15.JPG

Kerrisdale_17.JPG

Kerrisdale_18.JPG

The "Boiler" behind it all...Station Master, Chief Engineer, Welder, track-Crew etc etc etc

Kerrisdale_M_14.JPG

Kerrisdale_M_17.JPG

The yarns never stop....

Kerrisdale_M_19.JPG

Kerrisdale_20.JPG

Kerrisdale_21.JPG

Maybe, if I offer the Husky...??? W-)

Kerrisdale_M_21.JPG

Shit, no deal!! :bs

Kerrisdale_M_22.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Back to base...

Kerrisdale_24.JPG

The motto the place is run by :clap:

Kerrisdale_M_24.JPG

A drop of the good oil to get the steamer going to drive the 1900-something generator to drive the string of 1930 incandescent bulbs.
And ALL in MINT!!, working condition!

Kerrisdale_26.JPG

Steam-winch

Kerrisdale_27.JPG

Very bike-friendly folks, on top of everything else : "park in the shade, guys!"

Kerrisdale_M_25.JPG

Jim oogling the new boiler for the Tripod

Kerrisdale_M_26.JPG

THIS...is a WORKSHOP!! Well, part of it, anyway.
A ONE-MAN workshop!!
:eek::eek:

And yes, in the centre is the chassis for the new steam-loco, all hand-built!

Kerrisdale_M_27.JPG

It's near impossible to leave this elevated paradise overlooking the Goulburn Valley Flats, but there's a lunch at Yea waiting, then a try of a reverse route of some tracks ridden the other way around some time ago.

Kerrisdale_28.JPG

The No-Through gets us into the top end of the Toolangi State Park and it's soon obvious that this is the end of summer and the tracks are bombed out and rocky, rough and rutted. Easy enough to make it through, but not too much fun.
A dogleg to nip down the bloody slippery, fine-gravelled Toolangi-Dixons Crk. Rd., another dogleg past De Bortoli's for the quieter roads of Steels Creek and into the back of Yarra Glen where our ways part...after a certain Tenere copped a double-slap and insisted on taking a nap...twice in the same spot
:bs:thumbs:

Kerrisdale ....we'll be back to this, no question!!
You just gotta love a place where even the cash-register is "steam-driven" and doesn't know what Eftpos is.
$15 per head... CASH ONLY! ( kids-prices and more info on the website)

http://www.kerrisdalemtnrailway.com.au/

And thanks to Jim, Brendan and Goodie for a fantastic day out, riding and otherwise. :clap::chug:

John_Johnny

Long Timer
That Kerrisdale Railway is cool as! I've been past Trawool and oogled that luxury resort, but I never knew the steam trains were just down the road. I love steam and trains. :lao
Next time you're up our way Pete, drop in and look at our model train set and our steam engines, 2 Mamods and a Wilesco D20 that I've yet to fire up.

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
It wasn't quite Mirboo, mate....only top-shelves around this Sunday :bs
As for the mentioned "attractions"...it's just stumping sometimes what a day can hold in store.

Did I use the words "tootle" and "no knobbies" or something :wot:
Sure wished we'd had 'em, at times :)

Kerrisdale_M_04.JPG

Usually you don't get a sense of steepness in photos, however you do seem to with this one. I think it has to do with the rising hills in the background, and you get that plunging look into the valley behind, and below. Normally the photo "flattens" everything out. Great pic

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
That Kerrisdale Railway is cool as! I've been past Trawool and oogled that luxury resort, but I never knew the steam trains were just down the road. I love steam and trains. :lao
Next time you're up our way Pete, drop in and look at our model train set and our steam engines, 2 Mamods and a Wilesco D20 that I've yet to fire up.

That Kerrisdale affair is truly something.
And the couple owning and driving the place are even more interesting than all the stuff they've created there.

The greatest model railway set ever! What an effort.
Great report, Pete

Yo! :lao:

Open Weekend down the Newport Rail yards over the labour day long weekend

It's worth it just to look at the workshops better alone the trains

http://www.steamrail.com.au/documents/brochures/2016/SRV_Open_Days_Poster_2016_Web.pdf

Nice try!... but I'll hang onto those NZ tickets tooth + nail :bt:bt

Tks for the link, though...I guess it's an annual thing only?
Maybe next year, if we're not in ZA then...
Life's too bloody short!

Top Bottom