FarRide East13 - Mitchel ride report (from May 2010)

penguineer

just luscious
That's a very good question. I've noticed some ride reports here which are just copy-paste from reports that have been written for other forums, which reference individuals, events or 'in-jokes' which are unknown in this forum. It'd be nice if such reports were 'localised' for this forum for want of a better word and some background info given where necessary to provide some context.

Guilty as charged.

This ride report was one of my earliest ones and I resurrected it here on a wet day in a wet week to occupy my mind before I started counting the invisible ants parading across the ceiling......Originally it was posted on two other forums (one of which was FarRiders).

Anyways - I think my writing has changed a bit, possibly a bit wordier, but also to try to cater for other forums and a larger audience with a bit more background.

Often what I'll try to do is add a couple of paragraphs to the start of the report to "localise" a bit to explain the who(maybe you won't know them, that's OK, just accept that some guy named madNoRman from another forum is with us), and why(we're doing this because...).

The meat of the report stays largely the same and I am trying to cut down on the inside knowledge - the main thing is the ride and trying to show off different places I've been.

As I said - this one was originally written for a smaller audience.

As for a FarRide - the idea is Ride-To-Eat(RTE), riding 1000km in 24 hours(some stay overnight; others ride 500km, have lunch and ride home).

FarRiders is a local group associated with the Iron Butt Association(IBA) - their idea of a "basic ride" is 1000miles(1600km) in 24 hours, known as a SaddleSore1000 or a SaddleSore1600 in metric countries.

I believe it's a bit easier to do these sorts of long rides on the motorways and autobahns of Europe or the Interstates in the USA. Several international riders that have visited Australia have commented how it's harder here - lower speed limits, wildlife, road conditions, limited fuel stops, heat, lack of scenery in spots, etc - but I guess it's what you're used to.

Does that help?

Cheers!

MooN

Tour Pro
I believe it's a bit easier to do these sorts of long rides on the motorways and autobahns of Europe or the Interstates in the USA. Several international riders that have visited Australia have commented how it's harder here - lower speed limits, wildlife, road conditions, limited fuel stops, heat, lack of scenery in spots, etc -

Cheers!

thanks, & I hadn't thought of the actual road conditions, wild life, fuel availability etc.
I guess I could get on the autoroute here, midweek at say, Lille, & ride to Toulon (just under 1200km) without ever dropping below 140km/h except for the 3 F's (Food, Fuel & deFecation...)

probably only take 13 hrs or so. But I'd then have to have a week off work 'till me arse stopped bleeding...

:wot:

:chug:

penguineer

just luscious
thanks, & I hadn't thought of the actual road conditions, wild life, fuel availability etc.
I guess I could get on the autoroute here, midweek at say, Lille, & ride to Toulon (just under 1200km) without ever dropping below 140km/h except for the 3 F's (Food, Fuel & deFecation...)

For comparison:
- many highways in Aus are limited to 100kph, divided roads may be a mind-blurring 110kph.
- the Northern Territory has limits of 130kph.
- our "main highway" (Bruce Highway) from Sydney to Cairns is generally one lane each direction, upgrades are under way to make it two lanes each way divided road
- those upgrades involve lengthy sections of roadworks(limited to 40/60/80kph)
- other main highways have a large amount of truck traffic(and related damage)
- a fair number of inland roads are flood-damaged, inland Queensland road are also damaged by mining traffic

The run from Brisbane to Sydney(900km) takes somewhere about 11 hours currently without any significant stops.

probably only take 13 hrs or so. But I'd then have to have a week off work 'till me arse stopped bleeding...

Now you may understand why many of the inmates here like the backroads(at least you get what you expect) and standing on the pegs ;)

Cheers!

MooN

Tour Pro
For comparison:

Now you may understand why many of the inmates here like the backroads(at least you get what you expect) and standing on the pegs ;)

Cheers!

well PROPER bikes are ridden standing on the pegs anyway!

I'd better get on & post some trail pics then :thumbs:

Sir Francis

Displaced person

Bleeding bottoms :wot:

Not quite sure how you guys roll on the continent, but it sure sounds diffrent to round here....not that there is anything wrong with that....:rofl:

MooN

Tour Pro
don't even THINK about getting me started on that one! :bang:

1€66 per litre for 95 octane 'tother day!

Top Bottom