AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Chook
Rookie

Default Re: Adelaide to Moranbah and back

Day 4, Injune to Moranbah

After a great night's sleep and a good feed before we left it was back on the road for the last leg of our trips to stay with my mate in Moranbah, the shortest day by a couple hundred km. By now the weather was cool mornings and very warm in the afternoon. We had a lot of stops at roadworks where they were rebuilding after the floods. 1st stop was Rolleston, then on to Springsure. We saw a lot more wild life that morning, encountering every thing from Roos, wallabies, Cattle, Eagles etc. That stretch of road was awesome, great scenery with gentle winding roads.

We stopped for lunch in Emerald, then it was onto Capella, a quick fuel stop in Clermont before the final stretch to Moranbah. We rang my mate from Clermont to find out he had forgotten to leave the key out, and wouldn't get off work early like he'd hoped to.
About 30 minutes from Clermont we were stuck at roadworks for about 20 minutes, got talking to the lolly pop man, he said they were up there from Adelaide, earning 3x what he'd get home working on flood repair sites.

About 2500 KM in 4 days, and an hour and a half wait for Matt to get home, we were ready for something more comfy than a concrete driveway

With about 4500 on the clock and over 1000km 'till I got to Brisbane where the bike was booked in for it's 6000km service I wasn't sure if the original Dunlop rear tyre would get me there so we decided to put the bike in the shed for the next 6 days and do all the touring in Matt's twin cab.
Chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Williamson
Pit Crew

Chook,

You and the little lady were setting a cracking pace, well done to both of you.

Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Chook
Rookie

We arrived in Moranbah on the Wednesday after Easter

Thursday was a veg/relax day, went for a bit of a drive in Matt's ute while he was at work, cleaned the bike etc

Friday we went bush touring with matt, he took us North of Moranbah on some roads that were no more than a dirt track, then across to Nebo, down to his work at Peak Downs mine and home

Saturday we went for a drive into MacKay where Matt was living last time the whole family went up in Oct 2002, at the Moranbah turn off from the Hwy we came across this rolled over Road Train

they were still cleaning up the mess 8 hours later when we were coming home

MacKay was nice, it has changed a fair bit in the 10 years since we were there

The trip home nearly ended in disaster for a car in front of us, the Commodore had just got back in when the oncoming wide load came past

Sunday and Monday were just catching up with washing etc before the ride home began
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Chook
Rookie

Day 10 Moranbah to Gayndah

Moranbah to Gayndah was just a long hot days ride, with heaps of roadworks it took a couple of hours longer than we expected, it was nice to get into a cabin at the caravan park in Gayndah and relax. There had been heavy rain from the Sunshine Coast down to Brisbane for days, they were expecting more of the same tomorrow.

Day 11 Gayndah to Gold Coast and back up to Brisbane's Northern Suburbs

The weather was awesome when we left Gayndah but by the time we hit Kilkivan, down it came, we were lucky to be able to pull over, get under cover and get all the wet weather gear on staying dry............10 minutes down the road it stopped and by the time we got into Gympie we were cooking and couldn't wait to get it all off again. Morning tea break @ Macca's and it was back on the road

Although we were staying with a mate from school in Brisbane's Northern suburbs we had decided to go straight down to DJR's museum, somewhere I've wanted to go for a long time, then down to Shark Leathers for a look before heading up to Eatons Hill to stay with a mate from school and his dog, we hadn't seen each other for 29 years, plenty of Jacks and a whole lot of reminiscing that night!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Chook
Rookie

Day 12 Brisbane

I had the bike booked in at 7:00am for it's 6000km service (10 weeks after I picked it up) and a new back tyre, went the Michelin PR3, looking for a bit more than 5500km from the next one.

Brisbane Motorcycles looked after us really well, gave us a loan bike to get around on, I felt sorry for the little GS500 on some of those Brisbane hill starts with 2 of us

After we dropped the bike off we went back to Chris's and got a heap of washing done, we also worked out how many of our clothes we didn't need for the return trip, instead of washing them we packaged them up and posted them home, much to the amusement of the post office staff!!

Picked the bike up, nice and clean, new rubber on the rear (the Dunlop had a bald strip in the middle after 5600km) and headed into the city for lunch with my auntie, then we just cruised around and did a bit o sight seeing before heading back to Chris's for the evening/night.