AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 17-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
nev
Super Térrarist

Default Far Cairn Rally - Tottenham

Headed off to Tottenham NSW on the weekend for the Far Cairn Rally which is hosted by the NSW BMW touring club at the Tottenham Racecourse. The Cairn in question is a maker which marks the geographical centre of NSW, and is about 33km further west.

I had the alarm set for 5am and two plans in hand. Plan A was the fastest route about 850km which would get me to Tottenham about 3pm. Plan B was a slightly longer route about 900km which would take an hour longer and didn't use as many highways and included a few backroads of dubious quality.

As expected, I woke up about every hour from midnight onwards, with anticipation, and eventually at 4am I quit pretending to sleep and geared up. On the road at about 4:20 and straight up the Hume. I stopped once for a sunrise shot, and once for fuel at Glenrowan.

Stayed on the Hume to Kyeamba then a quick break in Ladysmith

Skirted around the eastern side of Wagga Wagga and into Junee for another fuel topup.
Then north up the Olympic way

Off the Hwy shortly after and through some backroads, Combaining State Forest (sealed) and hitting the highway again near Young.

Skirted the outskirts of Young, through Grenfell, Fuel and a sandwich in Forbes then onto the Nyngan road. It's a 320 round trip from Forbes to Tottenham and back, and the only petrol station open on a weekend on that road is in Tullamore, so I stop here for a few litres to top up the tank. In Tottenham I tie a bag of ice and some beers onto the pillion seat and head to the rally site. Beautiful green grass at the racecourse. A really nice shady spot with good facilities. A good turnout too. Must be at least a couple of hundred bikes in attendance.
I arrived right on time as expected at 3pm, 901km for the day.
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
nev
Super Térrarist

Default Re: Far Cairn Rally - Tottenham

I had a good night's sleep in the swag, despite the very cold evening, although the morning was much milder. Sunrise over the racetrack.

I'd taken the bulky foam mattress out of the swag and replaced it with my much thinner self inflating mattress. This worked well and saved enough space that I could throw a change of clothes in the swag without it becoming excessively large, so no need to carry any other luggage.

Left Tottenham right on 7am and I'd was wary of the ride back to Forbes as I'd been warned about emus in this part of the country, and of course roos love the mornings. The very first paddock past the edge of town was home to about 20 roos, and a few km down the track a paddock of long grass was home to a dozen or more emus who's necks and heads looked like periscopes in a sea of gold.
They would be here if the buggers didn't run so fast while I was getting my camera out.

Surprisingly, on the 150km ride back to the Newell Hwy at Forbes I didn't see another emu or roo for the entire trip.

Bogan Gate has a unique war memorial in the middle of an intersection in town.

Home from here was the quickest route possible, down the Newell Hwy, Goldfields Way, Olympic Way and Hume Hwy. I've been up and down these roads a number of times in the past few years and one spot I always arrive too early, too late, or in too much of a hurry is Temora, home to an air museum. I was hoping to get home by 5pm, and because I'd set off earlier than originally planned, I arrived in Temora just after 10am. The air museum was open and I had a half hour up my sleeve due to my earlier than planned departure time again this morning.

The maintenance hangar is pretty full.

The planes of note here are marked V-RG and P-FU, the first is a Spitfire fighter, and the second a Spitfire bomber. These two are the only flying Spitfires in Australia, however the fighter is not flying because it's engine is out for a rebuild. It's a 27 litre, 1,275kw supercharged V12 Rolls Royce engine.

Old 17-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
nev
Super Térrarist

The main display hanger was a bit of a mess. They'd had new lighting installed in recent days, and the hangar had been cleared to make way for a party the night before so there were large vacant areas and the volunteer who was tidying things up advised that there were about 5 planes missing from the display

One more was parked outside. I didn't find the others

The main crop being grown in the entire district between Temora and Culcairn was canola, or if not the main crop, at least the most noticable, as they were in bloom and really made a change from the usual brown countryside up here. Some canola fields disappeared off into the distance and off over the hills

I was home by 5pm as planned, and 853km covered for the day.
Old 17-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Williamson
Pit Crew

Good effort Nev, nice pics too - love the planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post
..... a 27 litre, 1,275kw supercharged V12 Rolls Royce engine.
Effing hell! That's big, and powerfu, but only around 47kw per litre.

I 'spose, as an alternative, they could've used a engine out of a Mighty CB, but that might have been a bit awkward at the time.

What's that I hear? Mmmm......it sounds like Suzuki owners tapping on their keyboards.
Williamson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
MooN
Cruiser

cool report & pics, I love looking at old planes, Thanks
MooN is offline   Reply With Quote