The Loose Mick Ride

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Oh boy!

Home today from 1,500km across the Snowy Mountains.

We blame this man :gday:

I'm lost for words... :wot:

Hmmm, what is Fuzzy doing waiting for a bus... :whistle:

Pics n story to follow.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
For me, Thursday went like this:

A couple of pics of the trestle bridge at Noojee.

A detour via Mt Baw Baw.

The South Face Road.

Overnight at Bruthen Caravan Park - $22.00 for unpowered site.

A lazy 370km for the day.

MooN

Tour Pro
cool pics, :clap:

how do you like the ST ? I used to fancy one of those but don't like the more recent versions (esthetically) & all the older ones I can find have about 60 million k on the clock...

:chug:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
cool pics ......

A few more to come from Sir Frank (I hope) and me too!
..... how do you like the ST ? I used to fancy one of those but don't like the more recent versions (esthetically) & all the older ones I can find have about 60 million k on the clock...

:chug:

Like the ST? Love it! Some aspects very similar to the CB1300, but overall much better. Not as much power, but that could be due to the different gearing (CB 5th is the equivalent of ST 4th, so when touring many more changing down to 4th or 3rd) and extra weight (around 80kg - yeah I suppose that would make a difference).

Aerodynamics are good, this and the taller gearing can see fuel consumption as low as 5.5litres per 100km (best the CB would get was 6.0 but more often 6.5) which means I need to look for petrol at around 500km intervals - :D.

Esthetics? My (biased) opinion is that the ST1300 is better, sleeker looking than the ST1100. Your current ride is a Transalp, either would be better.:bees:

High km? A quick used bike search indicates lots of ST1100's with high km (over 150,000km) but I 'spose that what you'd expect from 20 year old road tourers. The search also revealed some with around 30,00km or less.

If you listened to some of the guys on the OzSTOC forum (you would have a similar forum in UK / EUR), they would have you believe that the ST has not loosened-up until it reaches around 150,000km.

I've just clocked over 6,000km and it's loosening up nicely.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
...they would have you believe that the ST has not loosened-up until it reaches around 150,000km.

I've just clocked over 6,000km and it's loosening up nicely.

Meaning?.... It's already starting to fall apart? :killingme:killingme

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Williamson provided the excuse to skive off another day’s work and take to the hills.

Not many photos for me from the road – I spent the entire weekend trying to outrun a rampaging bunch of hooligans :gday:

Roll call – me, Fuzzy Dunlop, Emeraldfloats (Garry), lodger (Famous Rog), LisaCentin (Lisa & Sil) and of course the man himself Williamson.

I was first to arrive at the usual spot in Montrose.

Perhaps Bibendum knew what was coming… :bs

Now, I’m not sure is Fuzzy checking the tyre pressure or preying… :killingme

Some back roads through the hills to collect Garry at Yellingbo.

More back roads to morning coffee at Noojee and beyond.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
We skirted lake Glenmaggie before lunch at the café in Briagolong.

What’s that Fuzzy, you can’t hear us… :killingme

Another back road cut through to Bruthen where Famous Rog was waiting for us. :clap:

Fuzzy’s first KTM fan-boi a R80G/S owner who clearly was feeling the pressure that maybe BMW reign as king of the adv-bikes was under threat was lurking in the park at Bruthen.

I honestly tried to rescue Fuzzy, honestly… I interrupted to say we needed to go, I called out again and when that failed I simply got on my bike and left with everyone else. Sadly, Fuzzy was still there politely nodding and watching us disappear… :bs

Some photos from the traditional stop just out of Buchan.

Famous Rog took the lead and set a cracking pace through the forest to Orbost. Oh boy! Such FUN!!!! :woot:

Into Orbost for rush hour.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
What a "pick-up run"...:thumbs:
And...and??

Anyone else having trouble with the pics not displaying?
Some do, some don't... hit the refresh and some drop out, others display.
Looks like Smugmug having some speed issues

Sir Francis

Displaced person
We made for the Orbost Club Hotel.

Yep, not much had changed since the last visit above in 2002. :eek:

Hmmm, loo-xury… :killingme

Settled in for the evening.

Now it was about this time that Fuzzy’s Bruthen stalker appeared and began trying to convince him to follow him to a secluded B&B… :wow:

The rooms may be dodgy but by golly the $22 a head Chinese Feast was super. :drool:

Later in the top pub. Not sure what Famous Rog is saying but he sure seems determined.

Last edited:
Top Bottom