Lake William Hovell

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Woke up, sun was shining. Put the canoes on the trailer and off to Lake William Hovell.

Just out of Cheshunt is Chrismont Winery.

The road to Lake William Hovell is perfect and meanders through some beautiful properties.

The King River is a raging torrent.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Lake William Hovell is one of our favourite haunts because it's so remote and usually devoid of humans. Not so today. Every man and his dog is here!

Never mind, at least the BBQ is available.

Well looky here. He must have smelt the food from Myrtle!
:bs

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Somebody say "free lunch".....:so

Rather than follow the bitumen beyond Lake Buffalo I took the dirt to the left.

IMG_0541-XL.jpg

A couple of small creek crossings brought me to the Rose River Rd at Dandongadale. The lovely little section of dual track has been fenced off replaced by a proper dirt road.

IMG_0542-XL.jpg

Down Rose River Rd who should I run into...

IMG_0549-XL.jpg

IMG_0575-XL.jpg

EDI and Carboor via dirt on the way home to Myrtle. :clap:

John_Johnny

Long Timer
There's a secret swimming hole for rock diving about 2k downstream of the dam wall.
It used to be easy access (if you knew where it was) but whoever owns the property has built a barbed wire fence. :(

Secret track to secret swimming hole.

No camping.

Well maybe no diving today, but we'll be back. The water under that cliff face is very deep. You can just make out the blue rope used to climb the cliff on the right.

The water under that cliff face is very deep. You can just make out the blue rope used to climb the cliff on the right.

I'd be wanting to check that out thoroughly before I jumped off that cliff. Chop on the water is caused by obstructions just under the surface. Even fast flowing deep water does not tend to have chop on it

John_Johnny

Long Timer
I'd be wanting to check that out thoroughly before I jumped off that cliff. Chop on the water is caused by obstructions just under the surface. Even fast flowing deep water does not tend to have chop on it

Most definitely K1W1.
The water here is crystal clear. You can see the bottom clearly but the divers should always be certain there's nothing there.
Very dangerous business diving into open waterways like this so it would certainly pay to be cautious.
You'd have to be nuts to jump in there today. That water is moving at a massive rate. No wonder Wang is flooded.

Last edited:

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The Gentle Annie. Once there were willow trees providing shade, then some government department decreed that willows were a menace and replaced them with concrete.

Damn! We're going to be here until the cows come home.
The Gentle Annie is a lovely place but even as a child, I was annoyed by the amount of flies here. These cows are the cause.

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
She was gentle the day I was there (just downstream from the CP)
P1040595_zps4nlam8j9.jpg

Great spot for a refreshing dip, the water was just deep enough to lay back and be "massaged" by the rapids, but venturing too far would have resulted in a bit of journey!!
P1040602_zpsz0ni16cl.jpg

These pics were taken early this year enroute to the AT Anniversary :chug:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Somebody say "free lunch".....:so

Rather than follow the bitumen beyond Lake Buffalo I took the dirt to the left.
Down Rose River Rd who should I run into...

IMG_0549-XL.jpg

Yarrarabula Ck Rd.? (ties into the bottom of the Goldie Spur)
That's the one I'm still missing around there...any tricky bits?

Teflon-Rog isn't really a surprise ...but the SHREK!??
What was Peter doing out there on the streetfightered/motarded version of it now? :eek:

Top Bottom