Checking on Uncle Sam....travel notes, beer and aspen-gold

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Perhaps a bit late now Pete as I guess you're home, but if you look for an ATM will a small "Cirrus" icon within the 'accepted cards' icons, you'll be able to withdraw local cash from your home account with your Aussie MasterCard or Visa. There'll be an extra conversion charge but it's usually only a couple of $. Banks big and small ( but not all ) worldwide are part of Cirrus.

Thanks
Yo, been doing that in EU, but the small, local banks (with often not more than 3-5 branches in 2 neighbouring towns) don't even have a single sticker on their ATM's.

The Canadian Dejeunes only display a Visa/Master logo (at least on their rural ATM's, didn't try any in Quebec City).
And while all sales-points accepted the cards for purchases, they only worked in their locally common "chip+signature" mode.
No PIN, no tap+go available.

Edit:
Since the topic has been split into various threads, here are the links to all the parts, in their chronological order.

Checking on Uncle Sam....travel notes, beer and aspen-gold

Peaks + Perks....New England (US) picture book

A Touch Of Quebec (Canada)

Lobster-Tales (Maine, US)

A World Of Its Own...Colorado + The Rockies

Enjoy! :scull:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
One for John...

A tiny, little Supermarket in Del Norte, southern Colorado blackblocks.

US2016_0519.JPG

3l (and yes, it's on the label!!...or pick the 101 ounces or 3 quarts) "soda" of the local Shur-Fine variety on special for 99cents!

The full, everyday regular sticker is a whopping $1.07.

Makes your eyes bleed, doesn't it?

Saw 80oz Cokes / Pepsis (that a ~2.5l waxed cardboard cup/bucket!!) at the petrol stations for a lousy 72 cents!!
With cap+straw, hooray! :so

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Yuk! Bottles of sugar disolved in water with colouring agents added. You won't find that shite in our house. My vice is diet coke and that's probably worse with chemicals instead of sugar.
Nope, it's soda water here. (I think the yanks call flavoured soft drink soda, but I'm talking carbonated water.)

Mind you, the root beer might be alright. :whistle:

ant

AngryAnt
3l (and yes, it's on the label!!...or pick the 101 ounces or 3 quarts) "soda" of the local Shur-Fine variety on special for 99cents!

I'm glad the label also says "Artificially Flavored", I never would have guessed otherwise

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Holy shiiaat!!

Not wanting to start a political crap-thread here, but somehow the 2016 election results belong to this yarn (or rather : cluster of travel yarns) as much of the travel was through a front-lawn-filter of local Trump/ Pence propaganda.

It's still not final at this stage... but the idea of some 0.99 cents trash-TV-fuggwit ruling the world gives me the goosebumps. This is 1933 all over...:doh:

If this would only affect the US....go and live with this IQ-sewer, by all means!
You wanted him, you got him.
Shame about the rest of the globe, though...W-)

On the up-side...there's a real chance this clown will devalue the Greenback to Monopoly- level...maybe bringing another US-trip closer than thought.
I REALLY wanna ride Colorado before hanging up the gloves!
If I can jump over the wall built by the Mexicans, that is :killingme

John_Johnny

Long Timer
The Democrats could have put up absolutely ANYBODY and won the election but they chose to nominate Hillary.

Same thing happened in the Australian federal electorate of Indi. The Libs were a sure thing but they chose to run Sophie Mirabella who was despised and so an independent won.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

PS, you can delete all this political shite when the dust settles. Fine by me. I won't take offence...last time I took offence the neighbors made me build a new one.

nev

Super Térrarist

On the up-side...there's a real chance this clown will devalue the Greenback to Monopoly- level...maybe bringing another US-trip closer than thought.

hahaha that was my first reaction to the news as well.

Top Bottom