Stairway To Heaven

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
Monday morning was a lazy get up well after Glitch, Goodie and Tim in the other cabin had already had their bacon and egg breaky with Andrew and myself having a debate over the various brands of coffee sachets. :p
So with the others about to head off to Fraser it was goodbyes all round from me ( who took that pic of me in my jocks? :oops: ) before a lazy pack up and more goodbyes for Haysey, Williamson and Crusty with a plan for just a slab home expecting shit weather again.
I decided to go check out tje beach before leaving town.
The access towards Double Island Point.

Looking back towards Fraser Island.

From there it was back towards Gympie, but stopped and checked out the Coolloola Way that the dirty crew were going to do on the way in.

By now the weather was taking a decided turn for the better, so the plan was changed to take the Pomona-Kin Kin road that was also cancelled on the journey in, what a great decission that was. :glu
This is the other end of the Coolloola way.

And from the look of the vehicles i saw entering and exiting, I would have been near tempted to take the SV through there. :wink:
Gratuitous selfie. :killingme

Now I have to say for anybody traveling to, or even living in south east QLD that the Pomona-Kin Kin road is a must do, I had actually forgotten how good it is to ride. :clap:
Once i got to Cooroy, it was then time to hit the highway back to Redcliffe just in time to get ready for work again, with no more pics along the way.
I feel very proud and priveledged to have been part of this "stairway to heaven"
https://goo.gl/maps/zy6k4
Cheers brian

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
There are still a few leftover- pics around, might as well post them up.

This place becomes home-base for a couple of nights...

Banana15M_063.JPG

....and turns into something far more than that as the bad news spreads about the little town.
Our hosts Rene and Brenda prove their own rider-hearts by helping out where ever they can.:bow:

Banana15M_064.JPG

Banana15M_065.JPG

Banana15M_066.JPG

Incredible folks... just like the rest of the locals.

A day of statements at the cop shop, mulling about in a daze and a re-visit of the accident scene to try and get some shred of understanding of the “what and why”... saying a "Final Goodbye" to a good mate and a profound thanks to the nearby farmer Chris and son Dave, who both helped immeasurably at the scene.:bow:

The Gatton-Clifton Rd. twisties through the gorge are a little-appreciated highlight the next morning, we’re on the way south... on the way home... a dreary, un-welcomed 2000+km ride to outrun the current memories.

It all comes apart in Allora, 40k’s south of Toowoomba, when the DR spits a dummy and refuses to go despite being the one with the most fuel, all others running on fumes.

The group disbands, some continuing south, the rest spends 5 hrs. in a friendly local garage, cleaning carb and jets, trying to find a fuel-filter to prevent more trouble, breaking a vacuum line on the carb in the process...it’s still stinking hot...

Banana15_107.JPG

...and HUMID!! ...yo, that’s sweat!

Banana15_109.JPG

Finally got the sucker going again, bodged fixes and all, but at least the juice is flowing from half-throttle onwards.

Banana15_110.JPG

Droning down the New England Hwy is just too numbing, so it’s for the Kentucky- Walcha Road Pub single-lane asphalt and some nice gravel and sweepers of the Niangala Rd., while the Nundle Forest Rd. to Hanging Rock is just a bland affair...a PITA, really.

Highlight: The Hanging Rock lookout above Nundle.
Low-light: Cafe Nundle...what a dump!!

Banana15_111.JPG

Like: Scone-Nundle Rd. gravel and the tiny Cayuga and Wybong Rds. from Aberdeen on the NE-HWY to Sandy Hollow.

From there it’s just a drag home on main roads, Bylong-Bathurst-Cootamundra-Holbrook.

The Kiewa-Allans Flat Rd. is now sealed into Allans Flat, tying in with the sealed Osbornes Flat section, bypassing Yackandandah on the way to Myrtleford.....and the Myrtleford-Stanley Rd. up to the Stanley Pub is worth a checkout.

BananaRama 2015...

Banana15_112.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
its been a few years since I took the road from Beechworth into Stanley but I haven't been out the other way to Myrtleford. Last time I was up there it was still dirt but it's been sealed in the past couple of years has it ? Supposed to be a nice ride through the forest.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
its been a few years since I took the road from Beechworth into Stanley but I haven't been out the other way to Myrtleford. Last time I was up there it was still dirt but it's been sealed in the past couple of years has it ? Supposed to be a nice ride through the forest.

Yo...a bit of a "Falls Creek" style climb. Short, but sweet.
To the south is a sealed connector to the Happy Vly Rd.
From B cut east via (sealed) Tunnel Gap Rd. into Dederang.
All sealed...and a nice, scenic way to bypass just about every tourist place+route bar Beechworth http://goo.gl/maps/Qx1NM

Loads more options when throwing in some dirt, gravel and plantation- roads.

Top Bottom