Saturday 4 August .......... no bikes

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Mrs W's birthday, an unredeemed gift voucher = an over-nighter to the Royal Mail Hotel at Dunkeld.

After a quick exit from the metropolitan area via the Metro Ring Road and Western Freeway we turned-off to visit the Ballan farmers market, lunch, purchase some crappy market ware and back roaded to Lake Bolac.

You get see some interesting roads with the NavMan set to "shortest distance", "don't avoid gravel roads" and "don't avoid toll ways".

You also get to hear Helen, "You want to go down THAT road?" Even when she's driving!!!

You also get to back-up a few gravel tracks and do a few U-turns.

The nice volunteer lady at the Lake Bolac Visitors' Centre, convinced us to look for and turn-off to find Narrapumelap - not hard really because it's down a road of the same name and has a big sign on the corner.

It was a bit of an anti-climax because all we could really was this:
2012-08-04144159.jpg

And this is just the gatehouse.

On to Dunkeld, check-in, walk around town, more gift shop purchases, found the public bar, a few drinks, chatted with some locals, freshen-up for dinner, dinning room.......

WTF??? The level of meals available, pub bar, bistro or dinning room. The intent of voucher (a Christmas gift from the children) was for Helen and I to "experience" the Royal Mail fine food. Check-out THE MENU - 10 courses, each averaged out at more than I would normally like to pay for one, or let me put it this way, the $360 voucher didn't even cover the restaurant bill - and we didn't drink much.

Let's see how tuff some of yuse guys are and try and resist taking the ladies for a special night out. Goodie, Karen & Tracey let me know what excuses the guys try.

Left early next morning - had to get away whilst I still had a wallet - a headed for Halls Gap. With the GPS still on the same settings we found the Wannon River:
2012-08-05101514.jpg

WannonRiverStitch.jpg

And this gem:
2012-08-05101215.jpg

And view from the side of Mount William:
MountWilliamStitch.jpg

More back roads to Ararat, Moonambel (renewed our acquaintance with Warrenmang Winery, lunch and a glass of the Grand Pyrenees was superb, and better value than the night before), Avoca and Talbot.

A few more U-turns, and I still maintain that we were'nt lost, it's just that we were'nt exactly where I thought we should be, so I thought it might be prudent to find a highway and head for home before it got to much darker.

Two days, 703km, 108litres of LPG & $xx - I just don't want to know.

nev

Super Térrarist
Let's see how tuff some of yuse guys are and try and resist taking the ladies for a special night out. Goodie, Karen & Tracey let me know what excuses the guys try.

I took Jo there accidentally a couple of years ago when we were staying for a long weekend in Halls Gap. We'd been to the Royal Mail for lunch a few years before on a ride with the BMW club and they had great country pub bistro so we headed back there one day after a nice D-S ride through the Victoria Valley. I feel sorry for the locals out there. Some bigshot chef from the city has turned the only pub in town into a fine dining experience. I hope somewhere else in town has popped up for the locals to go and chill their tonsils and shovel a chicken parma in their gobs. We paid their exhorbitant prices for their fancy food once, but I'll never make the mistake of stopping there again. I reckon the petrol station across the road might have a microwave burger which is more satisfying.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
.... I hope somewhere else in town has popped up for the locals to go and chill their tonsils and shovel a chicken parma in their gobs ....

The bar menu has a Glenloth free range chicken parma, chips and salad for $20, other meals from $16 to $32. Drinks were available a normal bars prices.

There's a restuarant opposite, and a pizza place just down the road - I didn't check the prices in either of these.

Last time I was there is it just a country pub and a not particularly good one at that (i think that was 1987 or 1988)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Happy B'day, Helen!!

Tried to fix that menu link (as it wouldn't open), hope I got the right page there.

Great yarn, love it!!

A fully-sick designer yuppie joint in Dunkeld of all places....who woulda thunk?
:bang::bang: :bs

Won't be hard to sway Goodie away from a night in Dunkeld...for a week through the Snowies backblocks at the same $rate.... no contest, really.
Vino included. :thumbs:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
.... hope I got the right page there....

Yep, that's the one (didn't it wasn't working though).

.... Dunkeld ....

Might be a good base camp for a Grampians' tour one long weekend. There's a caravan park (cabins, powered & unpowered sites), a pizza place, a bakery, a pub (with pub meals), and plenty of dirt and sealed roads and plenty of sights to see and things to do.

So, when I've ridden my fair share of all the other roads, I'll let yuse all know when I'm planning a return trip and post a thread to gauge some interest.

goodie

After looking at the prices on their wine list - I agree with Pete:

A week through the Snowies sounds just perfect... When are we leaving, Pete?? :wink:

Top Bottom