Pubs & Silos

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The Tungamah pub is good, but the traditional old general store and fish n chip shop looks better today.

Stephen shuffles down the stairs from the separate fish and chip area at the back of the store. He gets some cheese for my burger from his wife's salad bar at the front of the store and shuffles back up the stairs again. Guess it gives him some exercise and keeps him fit. Stephen and his wife moved here from their Melbourne fish n chip shop 20 years ago. Even though Tungamah has been getting very quiet over the years, the general store is still doing well. The counter was covered with brown paper bags that had orders written on them. Tom 1 potato cake, 2 dim sims and 1 with the lot. Bruce salad roll, no onion etc.
I went for the burger with the lot $7.50 and a can of diet coke $2.50. Great value for ten bucks!

I will post more later but photobucket is giving me the irrids at the moment. Slow...........and pop ups!!

Last edited:

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Free camping!!!!! That's the toilet block behind the blue tractor.

Just down the road from the Tungamah pub I noticed several caravans by the river. No wonder. Free camping, free bbq, toilets, covered dining areas. Cool as! The frosty frolic was good staying at the Tungamah pub, but the summer version (fiery frolic?) could be free camping 200 meters South of the pub.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The wheat is coming along nicely.

I stopped here because there was a large hawk perched on a single powerline. He watched as I took my camera out then took to the sky before I could take his photo.

Soaring the thermals.

The hawk was patiently watching the wheat fields looking for the slightest rustle of a stalk. Mr mouse sits quietly, then darts across to greener pasture causing the wheat to betray him and signal his presence to the hawk.
Perhaps fortunately for the mouse, I interrupted proceedings and the hawk effortlessly launched himself into the blue yonder. As I scrambled to get the phone camera settings sorted out, he climbed rapidly as the thermals lifted him to the skies. I furiously clicked away on my phone with the invisible screen due to the bright sun. One photo worked ok, so I'm rather chuffed. What a beautiful creature in a beautiful place on such a beautiful day.

I started out listening to George Benson - Breezin' but now I'm going to listen to Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle

Top Bottom