Cup Weekend 2012 by SuperMoto

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Ok, last repeat of RR previously posoted elsewhere.

This trip was such a hoot!

As per last year, the ride to the meeting point was in the pouring rain. When his wife suggested given the poor weather, perhaps he give the trip a miss Sprint Twin Jim pleaded “But honey, if I don’t go this year they might not invite me next year….”

We sloshed through the forests from Melbourne towards Jamieson and stopped for morning-tea overlooking Lake Eildon. It is brilliant to see the lake full again. A little over a year ago it was under 20% capacity. Two weeks ago, it overflowed the spillway.

Sprint Twin John seemed to be enjoying the ride so far

We just can’t get Famous Rog off his Tiger 800XC. He says he wants to marry it…

Down the hill into Jamieson for fuel. A friendly local warned that the local police were hiding just out of town collecting for the police Christmas fund. We waved as we cruised past under the speed limit.

We skirted Mansfield which was jam packed with 4WDs and headed for the hills. There were some interesting bikes at Whitfield.

The Whitty burgers proved popular.

After lunch a 35km dirt road short cut lead us to Lake Buffalo. Man what a hoot chasing Famous Rog slippin and a slidin my big KTM booming away as the rear tyre created snakey squiggles in the gravel and wet clay.

ST Jim looks pretty happy to have made it through the dirt.

Colin questioned why he follows me…

Silvio was a little more certain in his thoughts…

Through Happy Valley and onto the border with New South Wales. Afternoon-tea overlooking Lake Hume. Just like Lake Eildon, this was near empty a year ago.

A brilliant late afternoon ride through the valley to the old gold mining town of Mitta Mitta. I always organise the best accommodation for these road trips. Here’s Colin outside his luxury cabin.

It even came with its own amusement park. Roll up, roll up who’s brave enough to ride the ye olde pissweak world wheel of death? Ooooh….

We retired to the pub for a beer or three.

End of day 1: 521km.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Ready to begin day 2.

A detour to yet another lake.

A magical ride following the Mitta Mitta river to another arm of Lake Hume.

Ready to attack the Granya Gap. Yippee!

Paddy’s River Falls.

The Elliot Way lead us into the Snowy Mountains. I was having too much fun to stop for photos. The booming noise of the KTM racing down into and then out of the canyon was awesome.

The weather started closing in on the run across the Snowy Mountains.

Colin did his best to catch lunch.

A storm front hit when we were 15km from Berridale.

The storm cut power to the town. We were somewhat stuck as we needed fuel to make the next destination.

Bernie Blackbird wondering why he follows me…

Colin, Silvio and ST Jim.

We still couldn’t get Famous Rog off his Tiger.

The storm passed but still no power for fuel so we detoured to Jindabyne.

A few of the gang found a newly paved high speed race track on the way to afternoon-tea at the top of Brown Mountain.

A cruise down Brown Mountain before the final ride into Candelo for the night.

Bernie Blackbird was surprised with a birthday cake.

End of day 2: 607km

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Day Three:

The gang thought I was joking when I had said day one was for warm up, day two was for practice and day three was when the good riding was to begin.

The day began with a ride through a narrow snotty back road through the forest to Wyndham followed by a thousand linked 45km/h well paved corners that delivered us to Bombala.

We pondered the work of God’s Squad bikie gang over breakfast. Do they save your soul before or after they stomp you?

I should not make fun, their president happily answered my dumb-arse questions about his groovy bobber and he did look genuinely cool with his wild hairy beard and his 1970s grimy biker outfit. They had ridden 500km+ much of it on dirt the day before. Respect.

The Sprint Twins disappeared on the road shortly after breakfast. It turns out a pannier had bounced open leaving a trail of ST Jim’s clothes over a 10km stretch.

Some slippery dirt and we were onto the Bonang proper. Heaven on earth. Hell yeah! Now, I must admit I had planned this entire weekend away just so that I could ride my KTM down the Bonang.

An offering in case we meet the law.

After lunch on the water front at Bemm River, a scenic drive led us to fuel at Buchan. I must admit I didn’t see too much scenery as the KTM thundered along the 50km of single lane rough paved road.

When we did finally stop, the valley was spectacular.

Blackbird Bernie pointing. Here comes Silvio! We could hear Silvio on his GP piped Suzuki for about 15 minutes riding across the valley.

The last 60km of the day was bliss. The road snakes along the cliff face following the Mitchell River to Ensay.

ST Jim showing how much fun he’d had today.

A few beers and many laughs sitting in the afternoon sun.

End of day 3: 550km

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Day Foure: The sprint for home.

Yesterday, we’d joked about lemmings and blindly following the leader.

Early morning on yet another narrow short cut. My vision was obscured when I rode into a flock of galahs (large native Oz birds). They cleared just in time for me to see that the main road made a sharp turn to the right with a smaller paved track going straight on. I took the easy option of going straight. I looked in my mirrors to see two fellow lemmings following me…

More fuel at Omeo.

A detour to Benambra.

The road to Anglers Rest is such a rush but also totally unforgiving – if you run off the road you either hit the cliff face or the valley floor after a short flight. Atleast with option one, someone might find you that day. Option two, well…

Twenty years ago when I did an advanced skills riding course on the race track, the instructors suggested talking through what you were doing as a way of staying in focus. I had not done it for years but figured I’d give it a try on the 3000 blind hairpin corners to Falls Creek. If I had a helmet voice recorder, it may have sounded a little like…Approaching blind corner. Stay wide. Prepare for the corner. Brake. Brake. Brake. Tip in. Sight the apex. GAS! GAS! GAS! Followed by he roar of the big KTM echoing down the valley as the rear wheel squirms and the front wheel skimming the bitumen.

The road to the top of Falls Creek was slippery and treacherous. It was like they had chosen to seal the road with fish tank pebbles.

Not quite sure what Colin is doing so far off the road.

Alpine lake.

Colin set the pace down to Mt Beauty. After almost four days in front in was fun to ride with the pack.

Looking back towards Mt Beauty.

Lunch at Oxley and then for something different we did not take the Mansfield-Whitfield Rd. Two more hours of back roads before we were forced to join the slow parade back to Melbourne.

Lake Nillahcootie. Yep, a year ago this was empty.

End of day 4: 588km

Total distance: 2256km

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Damn the country side is so green and lush. So dry here. I'm even seeing names from your reports like Happy Valley and Big River from my little home island of Flinders...

stewy

Still young and stupid
oh read that report on adv. looks like a top ride I was going to re run this myself hopefully before winter arrives this year

Top Bottom