Oxley Ride 23 & 24th June

P

Punisher

Day started about 8 when Lemmiwinks (Ash on Freewind 650) he arrived, and then I was wondering did I say 8 or 9 to Sloth. About 9 Sloth rocked up looking a little cold, we dragged the ice cube in front of the fire for 5 minutes.

it was I recon 3 or 4 degrees outside, I rolled my bike into the driveway out of the garage so the others would know this was the right house, when we went out to it, it was frosted.

We start riding just down the highway to Uralla and stopped in Walcha for fuel. Filling her up we head off at a good pace with Lemmiwinks saying I don’t go over 130... With that in mind we didn’t go too hard, over the hills and through the twisties, just warming up, when I saw that gingers creek place, so I decided to stop incase the others felt a bit sore. We had a coffee to warm up a bit and had a discussion with Sloth saying to Ash, if im riding too slow, ya can try and over take me, I was thinking this was like a yeah right your on a overgrown chook chaser. Lemmiwinks made mention that he had turn his heated grips down to low as his hands where hot.

So we head off from gingers, and it was about 5 corners later when he took off like a bat out of hell. Sloth and I rode at a good pace but weren’t pushing it at all, as we both where carrying some gear on the back.

At the end of the good twisties, we came across Lemmiwinks who was by that time asleep under a tree waiting for us.

We stayed at this corner for a bit, and did several laps, while we took some action video and some photos.

We didn’t know frosty was at the park as we had no signal, so we decided to head off, both matt and I where running out of fuel and as we found out Long flat servo went belly up the week before in some divorce, locals said it may be open in a weeks time as it sold quickly. Just out of long flat, Lemmiwinks is riding close behind a ute when a log fell out and seemed to travel along about a meter on the right of us at eye level spinning like a throwing knife which was a bit of a worry.

So 20 minutes with my bikes fuel gauge flashing until we hit Bargo where we filled up.

A few laps riding around port wondering where this place, before we met frosty.

Had a good chit chat where Lemmiwinks and Sloth decided they needed to go home for other reasons.

so we rode back up to gingers creek, this time Lemmiwinks went off, and I tried really hard to chase him down, I started to make ground making a few mistakes, around a left hander I was hanging off as much as I could, I hit some bumps, and felt immediate pain to my knee and groin mussel, not sure if it hit the ground or just a jolt but I slowly backed off, the little chook chaser I could keep up with on 35k corners, but on the 25k he was a second quicker, eventually I could see him as I rounded a corner going into the next. Frosty and Sloth road sensibly and got their 5 minutes after us. We had a good chit chat and a coffee before bid fair well to Sloth and Lemmiwinks. Getting on a bit dark now and Frosty and I started heading back. half way their we could see an electrical storm over port, so not wanting to get stuck in rain, I started going a bit faster hoping frosty would keep up. Bit worried about my light tint visor in the dark and wild life also kept me holding back a little.

about to round a corner and I came across a whole roo in asleep on the road, I managed to dodge it and tried to flash my brake light and weave a little hoping frosty would get the idea, but he managed to miss it too luckily.

So back through to port where we had a few bundys and Thai dinner. port was nice and warm, sat on the deck in t-shirts drinking watching the storm and river traffic. Was a good night, and I recon we could have fit half a dozen bikers in this unit. Didn’t rain though.

Day 2 frosty thought he might head home early as it was going to rain in Sydney, so we stopped and had some nice pies, gota give credit this egg and bacon pie with cheese at that pie shop on the highway roundabout, was tops and just what the dr ordered for breaky.

We bid farewell and he headed south and I headed west.

Was a bit crisp up the mountains, but was good with the right gear.

Didn’t go too hard as my leg still hurt, filled up in gingers creek, which by now had 1000 bikers sipping coffee. All for a good run back up through uralla, my limbs started to say ouch and got home and collapsed about 12..

All in all it was a top week end, first time ive biked the oxley, and I was impressed.

Thanks to all who came along it was a good week end.

ginger1.jpg
ginger2.jpg
ginger3.jpg
ginger4.jpg
ginger5.jpg
ginger6.jpg

mblean1.jpg

mblean2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABmI85zXQU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBIq3csk1vg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46RjDrXCqKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuDfq_3g_Q

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
mad-biker said:
about to round a corner and I came across a whole roo in asleep on the road, I managed to dodge it and tried to flash my brake light and weave a little hoping frosty would get the idea, but he managed to miss it too luckily.

Was a bit crisp up the mountains, but was good with the right gear.

Sounds like a ripper of a time, the Oxley's something special, innit?
Also always good for surprises...
And damn nippy it can get up there into the New England area, I was always surprised about the temp differences between the highlands and the coastal areas...
Thanks for taking the time to post and share :thumbs:

nev

Super Térrarist
glitch said:
And damn nippy it can get up there into the New England area, I was always surprised about the temp differences between the highlands and the coastal areas...
Thanks for taking the time to post and share :thumbs:

And speaking of the difference between the highlands, when Jo and I rode up to Coffs back in April (we even dragged mad-biker down to the pub on our way through Uralla), we put our earplugs in at Ebor (temperature probably hovering somewhere around 0 and 1300M elevation and stopped for fuel in Bellingen (temperature was a steamy 20something and almost at sea level). Those earplugs sure must provide a good seal, because when we took them out in Bellingen we both got the sensation associated with a large air pressure change inside our heads, and although it wasn't a very noisy place, it was as if someone had turned the volume control up to 11 !! I've never experienced the same sort of thing before. I guess there aren't many places where you can actually experience such a huge altitude differencial in such a short distance).

(Did I mention if you stay in the cosy rooms out the back of the Top Pub in Uralla you can get a $20 biker's discount !)

P

Punisher

ops forgot the important action shots of me, included now.

yeah, apparently you can vertigo from the altitude difference, something about it effecting gritty bits in your inner ear.

Top Bottom