3200k just cruising

S

suzrf

Hey guys this is my first attempt at posting so go easy on me. Just thought i'd tell you about a trip I’ve done to Wallaroo SA recently. Loaded up the bike Thursday 12th for a short blast from Maffra to Ballarat.

Shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 400 at 2007-07-27
Left Maffra in brilliant sunshine (of course) headed out down through the Latrobe Valley where it decided to piss down on me (of course). It's not the rain I don't like, it's just the slippery roads make it less fun.
On a positive note, the wet weather gear does its job.
Was heading to Ballarat to visit my daughter who's at uni up there.
Pulled off the Western Ring Road for a hot coffee and to warm my hands. Got chattin to a bloke about bikes as you do. Turns out he knows some people I know that used to race side cars.Small world.
45 minutes later, hit the road with the intentions of riding a few back roads to Ballarat but after a couple of wrong turns and the weather turning nasty just rode the boring freeway.
Called into Kryal Castle for a couple of quick pics as the rain had stopped. Got to Ballarat early afternoon.

[/b]
Spent a pleasant afternoon chatting with my daughter and was tossing around the idea of heading over to Adelaide the next day.
Up early and loaded the bike. Decided to ride for an hour or so and see how the weather was. First impressions not good, heavy fog, had to wipe visor every 200m, zero degrees.
Got to Ararat about 9.30 for a coffee and a warm up and a think about if I should continue on.
Took my skirt off and decided to keep going. Headed North just outta Stawell on the road to Warracknabeal heading for the desert country. An hour up this road the skies had cleared up and all was good.
Stopped for fuel at Hopetun and pushed on to Walpeup. This section of road was quite nice. The country up here looks as green as its ever gunna get. Turned left at Walpeup along the boring Mallee Highway to Pinaroo for a pie, coffee and more gas.. Right at Pinaroo on the road to Loxton. Also a nice road with some fast sweepers and not a car to be seen. Headed due west from Loxton on the Swan Reach Road. When you reach the Murray here, you have to take a ferry to cross the river. This is a 24hour a day free ferry.

By suzrf, shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 400 at 2007-07-27
On the other side of the river is a rest area where I took this next photo. The light was just right.
CopyofKadinaride019Small.jpg

I’d heard of the nice hill just the other side of Sedan, but unfortunately when I got to this point the sun was low in the sky and I was riding with one hand using the other to block out the blinding light. Oh well next time I’m passing through I might be able to enjoy it. Pushed on through Angaston and to Nuriootpa. The light at this time of the day is spectacular and the vineyards looked awesome. Stopped for fuel in Nuri and rang friends in Kadina to say that I might not get there tonight. Tony gives me a few directions for the odd shortcut and I’m off. Well, you can guess what happens next. I zig when I should have zagged and next thing I’m riding along the road to Tarlee. Oops! Temp has dropped to minus something and I decide to wimp it and hit the first motel as I get into Auburn. Now this is when if I was reading this story I’d be thinking, weak as piss, but because it’s me now I’ll go easy on myself. 30mins later I’ve had a warm shower, a hot coffee and I can watch the footy. Good call I reckon. Up early, wipe the ice of the bike and head off. Down through Balaklava to Port Wakefield. Beautiful early light, if a little cold. Minus god knows what. Get to Tony and Marys house to be greeted with,”Cold enough for ya?” “ Just the way I like it” I tell them. After a few hot coffees Tony gets the new bike out of the shed.
CopyofKadinaride022Small.jpg

Jesus Christ a bloody Harley. We spend the rest of the day just poking around Wallaroo and checking out his new house site down at the marina. They have a new ferry service from Wallaroo to Lucky Bay on the Eyre Pen. Talking to a guy who had just come over with his bike and he said it was $55 one way. Not too bad I thought.
Kadinaride039Small.jpg

CopyofKadinaride053Small.jpg

Kadinaride049Small.jpg

Next day keen to do a few ks we decide to do a bit of a ride down the Yorke Peninsula .After getting the bikes out of the shed I tell Tony that his brake light isn’t working. Well you know the old 5min job turns into more as we discover the rear tyre has been doing a bit of its own wiring mods.
CopyofKadinaride066Small-1.jpg

2hrs later we’ve practically rewired it, had the rear shocks off, swapped for sporty shocks, swapped back to originals, saddlebags on and off 3 times, all while Tony had his thermals and jacket on. I had to start laughing when I saw the sweat dripping off him. “Thermals work good don’t they” I say. We finally get going about lunch time and I know that we will be getting home late. Dropped into Ardrossan for a few pics.
Kadinaride076Small.jpg

Then down to Port Vincent and Edithburgh.
Kadinaride082Small.jpg
CopyofKadinaride092Small.jpg
Cut across to Warooka where we decided to head for home as the weather was crap.
CopyofKadinaride105Small.jpg

Took a couple of sunset pics about 50k from home as the temp dropped by 10degrees.
Pace was a bit slower as I wasn’t too sure about the roos around here. By the time we got back it was well and truly dark and cold. Tony and Mary had to prise themselves of the Harley. Mary said that even after 10mins in a hot bath her feet were still cold. Mon morning I leave to head back home. Straight down the boring Wakefield road. 20ks out of Adelaide the traffic has come to a standstill. Pull into a servo to ask what the go is. I’m told there has been a big accident. 3 accidents actually. All on the northern side of Adelaide. I turn left and head for the hills. Ride 10 to 15k east the turn south. Don’t really know where I am but think that I must come to the freeway sooner or later. Have a good run through the suburbs and find the freeway easily. Cruise down to Murray Bridge for some brunch. Decide to take the coast road from Tailem Bend. Salt creek for some fuel and keep on truckin.
CopyofKadinaride121Small.jpg

Stop at Kingston for the pic with the Lobster and on to Mt Gambier for the night. Last 20k as I was coming into MG the setting sun was lighting up the road through the pine forrest something unreal. Poor bastards coming the other way couldn’t see jack. Got to MG just before dark and went to the Blue Lake for a few pics.
CopyofKadinaride126Small.jpg

CopyofKadinaride129Small.jpg

Crashed in a motel again as it was a bit late to find a camp spot and it was going to be another frosty one.
Got away early enough Tues morning after a not too cold start. Went via the coast road through Nelson and Mt Richmond. This is a beautiful bit of road BUT it is also the road with the most dead roos I’ve ever seen. I was crapping myself for about 50k until it opens up out of the pine forests. Stopped in Portland for breaky then onto Warrnambool. Weather was fine and sunny but quite windy. Called into Allensford for gas and the its the GOR. Had a nice run all the way along it with bugger all cars to deal with. Wind was a bit of trap in some spots but no real dramas. Had decided to catch the ferry from Queenscliff after stopping in Apollo Bay for late lunch. I wanted to be on the 4o’clock so I’d be in Frankston to visit friends before dark.
CopyofKadinaride157Small.jpg

Well after a long stretch of 60kph limits and heaps of traffic I arrived at the terminal just in time to see the ferry cruising off. Damm a 1hr wait. Oh well I’ll get some juice and whatever. What do you mean there’s not a servo here? That’s right. No petrol in Queenscliff.
CopyofKadinaride163Small.jpg

CopyofKadinaride173Small.jpg

After a pleasant 45min trip on the ferry, which costs $28 for you and your bike, I’m on the road down the peninsula. Call into Rye for fuel after I’ve been on reserve since just out of Torquay.
Down the freeway with all the crazys after dark and into Frankston to see an old riding buddy Hobbsy who has a nice vtr1000.
Kadinaride186Small.jpg

Chatting about bikes and stuff and try to get him fired up about coming on a decent ride. Crashed at his house for the night ready for a short ride tomorrow. Left Frankston a bit late as I was in no hurry to finish this ride. Took the south Gippy hwy to Leongatha and stopped for brunch. The weather was brilliant. Went via Mirboo Nth and then Boolara for a few twisty bits. Back roads to Traralgon then just the hwy home. As I road into Maffra after 3200k the sun was bright in the sky (of course) and all was good in the world. There is nothing like a nice long ride to make you feel gooooooooood. Hope you like the pics.
Suzrf

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oh boy... :oops:
At the moment they're coming thick and fast, eh?
The top-notch ride-reports, that is...
Welcome and :thumbs: :thumbs: for another excellent read and superb pics.
That's what it's all about, this riding/ touring thing....getting out and seeing the place, meeting folks, having a good time and enjoying the challenges and impressions of and alongside the road....
Many thanks for taking the time to put it all together and posting it up....and giving us all another ride to dream about.

Top Bottom