[Tas] Up, Down, Round, Underwood

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Weather was semi ok on the weekend for once in a while. Had been for a trip out to Hollybank to do a Segway tour and a night time Treetop Adventure canopy tour on Saturday, so went for a bit more of an explore in the Underwood area on Sunday. Map below. Had thought I might get through from White Mills Road to Goullees Road. Guestimating on the map where I might have gotten to, looks like I wasn't too far off, but had no idea without map or GPS, so a lot of back tracking from dead ends. Pics to follow

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Topping up the tank in Exeter, the standard run through Batman Highway, East Arm Road, Dalrymple Road, Old Bangor Tram Road, Bangor Road, with a twist, a side rout via the Paling Track which I'd not taken before. Through Lilydale and up Whites Mill Road. Had tried to come up here in the mazda the day before, only it got a bit steep somewhere before E on the map and turned around. Not today! Powered the Terra up as far as I could go to where the Mt Arthur walking track starts at a boom gate. I've climbed Mt Arthur before, from the other side off Mountain Road, in the cloud and rain on a day worse than this one...

Nice little creek running under the bridge just past the boom gate

This is Forestry land, cleared a while back. Mt Arthur is up in the clouds there somewhere

I think this one is heading down the track off to the South from point E, after having turned around then coming to a seemingly dead end that could have gotten me through to the Goullees... oh well

From here it was a couple more dead ends and a back track down Whites Mill Road, couple more failed attempts up Barnards road, then a poke up Goullees itself. As you can see, I was probably within 500m of where I'd been not too long before. Seems this Forestry land is quite popular with some people as the local tip, as rubbish strewn in pockets off the track was an indication :mad:

Back down Goullees, and just when I got back onto the tar, I pulled up outside a place with a load of bizarre sculptures dotted throughout the front

That was it for the pics.

Now it was a hop over to Underwood and up over the pretty Brown Mountain Road to Karoola, burn back to Sidmouth and Rowella via Auld Kirk Road and home just after sunset. :thumbs:

I'll be in need of that first service shortly!

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
....aaaand?? :glu:photo:

Got some of the photos from the Segway tour, unfortunately the ones from the canopy tour weren't worth paying for. You aren't allowed to take your camera on either tour, but you can buy a CD with all the stills and Go Pro footage for $35 (Which turned out to be 25 bucks, as they cocked up the photos and recorded video at the camera hutches instead of stills). Typical tourist bullshit and public liability hoo ha and a way for them to wean more money out of you, which of course works when they get decent enough material. I'll get a couple of the segway ones and add in here later

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
1150768_10151883731386908_1759343546_o.jpg

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Got to try out the Ebay purchased $20 heated grips on the Terra too. Full power was too much, had them down to half and mostly a quarter, they worked well! First ever set of heated grips on a bike. Well, I would have survived this day without them I think, but I had to give them a test!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Got to try out the Ebay purchased $20 heated grips on the Terra too. Full power was too much, had them down to half and mostly a quarter, they worked well! First ever set of heated grips on a bike. Well, I would have survived this day without them I think, but I had to give them a test!

Arghh, you Tassies....anything under 3ft. of snow doesn't count and the kids are still playing barefooted outside.

Might take a while to get used to then, but you won't have another bike without 'em...ever! :D

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Hi Robbieb,:gday:
there are many underwood & dirt roads closed .... isn't it ? W-)

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Sorry, Hans, don't quite get your meaning there. If you mean that mostly dirt roads are closed in general?

The roads I was looking at and trying to find a way through based on google maps are forestry roads. They are not always maintained unless there is logging going on, and from then on they just degrade or are barely kept open by 4WDers or off road motorcyclists. Possibly some locals know the area quite well, though it was the first time I'd ventured up there myself.

The recent sad news of Jimbos' passing has got me seriously thinking of a spot or equivalent, as I'm frequently going bush and remote places just to see where I end up, with no real plan other than a rough guess as to where I'll be. I prefer not to have routes planned, just take the road I most fancy at the time. One day it's going to get me stuck

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Thanks Robbieb,

Sorry, Hans, don't quite get your meaning there. If you mean that mostly dirt roads are closed in general?
I like "easy off-road" version-adventure rides.
The roads I was looking at and trying to find a way through based on google maps are forestry roads. They are not always maintained unless there is logging going on, and from then on they just degrade or are barely kept open by 4WDers or off road motorcyclists. Possibly some locals know the area quite well, though it was the first time I'd ventured up there myself.
For all these cases I want to buy this one:
http://www.gpsafety.eu/produkte/inreach-for-mobile-1-5/
(see the pdf document = english )

Have a pleasant .... underwood -sunday:glu
Hans

Top Bottom