AusTouring Rally 2010

stewy

Still young and stupid
well i am back already, just went up to bruthen for the over nighter, though as it turns out i was lucky to make it there, left with a rear tyre with the centre on the wear indicators, thought that should be heaps for a round trip, well WRONG!!!

Got to strafford and could see it was down to the fine layer of rubber, make a mad and wild dash for bairnsdale to see if i could get a new tyre, but missed the ktm shop by the time i rolled in...fark tiny bit of belt showing, well don't didn't know where any other places where so i thought fark it, i will just ride the rest of the way to bruthen and sort out my mess in the morning.....

heres the sunset from the pub
p1220003.jpg

So upon arrival at bruthen it was a clear steel belt showing about 2inches wide showing in the centre of the tyre ( i believe a few member might have a pic or too, good night was had and great to put some faces to names, just after 6 and packed on the bike at 7 to head back to bairnsdale on the hope to to get new rubber and return to try and catch the road group for the run over the high plains road.

Well a very slow run i get about half way then stop check tyre and drop pressure to about 20 psi and really drop the speed to about 30km for the last 10kms or so and make it, pull into town about 7.30 and a sevo attendant directs me to mcleod street where to my surprise the kwaka place already has a handful of bikes already moved out onto the road for business, so i pul in there and all they have were mich's and dunlops (don't like either tyre, but i opted for a mich) waited round while they changed the tyre, all doen and finished and i return to bruthen.

here is my baby getting some new rubber
p1230019.jpg

Here we are just before we set off to hunt down the road crew
p1230021.jpg

Get back by 8.45, asked the bloke at the camp what time they left and he says 8 bugger everyone already gone, and then the smile can across my face thinking wow a chase woohoo, a pie for breaky, and off at 9.00 on the catch up and what a blody hoot it was through the early section had quite a few 4wd to pass but once past them i had the road to myself and had a blast, toke a route which was discussed the night before last and rolled into omeo a little later only to find the road group still there wooohoo, quick fill up and throw on some warmer clothes tim waits around for me but the rest of the group heads off, well open section leading away from omeo was a blast with tim hot on my heels, we blast through the up hill sweeper, and round the a open sweepers and quickly march up on back of the group, np pass one a few turn later no tim hmmm strange slow down a bit, look back and it looks like he is playing tec, bugger np there is still a few bunnies in front to run down, and off i go again...

Well it's need to be said i seriously love this road reckon the section from bruthen to the mt beauty might be the best road in the country (helps cos it's also about 200km long of solid twistys), and it isn't long before i reach and pass mioke whole is leading the group, np i think i will shot ahead and grab some pics of the group, dragging pegs and boots and every downhill hairpin trying to make to make as much time on the group as i can....from here it was a constant leap frog with the group while taking some pics once tim passed my we would stop and then play catchup together till he caught the last rider and i would be on my own again, also along once section of the high plain road thought i would try some riding while taking some pics here the results, noting too speical but certinaly something i would like to try and practice a little more, though maybe i will try it on a road with a little less gravel as i had one moment were i thought i was going to get a close up shot of the road...luckly manged to keep it up right and on my side of the road...

Here is the road crew in no order, really need to get a camera that snaps the pics quicker, especially when the first 4 guys were riding soo close together, think i got pics of everyone, though some aren't so great but it was the best i could do with a point and shoot.

p1230022p.jpg

p1230023.jpg

p1230024.jpg

p1230029.jpg

p1230057.jpg

p1230059.jpg

p1230060.jpg

p1230063.jpg

p1230064.jpg

p1230069.jpg

p1230070.jpg

p1230071l.jpg

p1230072.jpg

p1230073.jpg

p1230074.jpg

p1230076.jpg

[IMG=http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3555/p1230077.jpg][/IMG]

This was me practicing riding and shooting one handed about the only decent one i got and not long after i toke this i rounds a corner to find gravel everywhere and almost got a nice close up view of the it, opps, so i decided that was enough practice for one day, 2 hands for beginners i think
p1230040.jpg

This is just a nice stream near the end of the high plains road
p1230065.jpg

Finally said goodbye to the group at mt beauty and we parted ways, had lunch with my folks who were staying in mt beauty so helped them setup the tent by the time that was done it was almost 3pm fark...on goes the helmet across the gap and decided to go via oxley instead of round buffalo as wanted to see how long it toke to do oxley and it's about 45mins via the road and when we road the buffalo back road with rosie i think we did it in 60mins but she was still very new to bike and dirt riding....so i reckon it would be fairly close as i did about the same sort of speed on both sections....any pull into whitfield at right with another 3 other riders who had just come from manisfield as the servo was shutting up (ie i mean the guy had just filled his ute and was locking the door!!! That was bloody lucky....had a quick chat with the other riding asking how the road was and where they were going, they say they are about 5 hours behind schedule, after stopping and helping a bmw1200 rider who decided to check out how goo dirt was offroad, and throw it off the cliff.....rider ok sore ribs etc.... (not sure if he was part of there group etc as they were all riding extoics brand new bigger moto guzzi etc...

So across to manisfield nice crusiy ride, but by the time i reached the power lines i could feel myself drifting and struggling to pick and set good corner speeds, so back the pace right off, and it turned into a gentle cruise for me......into mansfield stopped for a good break and umm and errr which way to go either jamieson or the hwy......i sat there long and hard and all i could think about was how long and boring that hwy run is compared to did i really want to do that 14kms of dirt, finally i convinced myself jamieson only takes me 3hrs (if i am on it) to get home and so i set off, we another mistake, go to near the turn off and i could feel i was struggling again, thought about it as i was riding thinking fark i just ridden 30km in the wrong direction now by the time i go back i will only have saved myself about 50kms overall, so push on i do......

This was a huge mistake as it was now close to 6.00pm and as once you make the turn you are then facing into the setting sun, and it make sthis road hard and difficult, the sun coming through the trees and shades leaves you in some turns without vision and all you can do is hold your line until your eyes readjust or you reach the shadow from the next tree, make my way to the dirt section and this is slow going anyway cruise through that ah back onto the tar and again the same issue with the sun and the light, make for a very tiring ride but if that is not not bad enough about not far after the dirt section i see signs of roadworks, and there is loose stones and gravel and dirt everywhere, actually with all the shit covering it, looks the same as a dirt road, grrr this lasted for large percentage, through all of the downhill sweepers one of my fav parts of the road, so i slowly make my way along it, for me now it was about getting myself and bike home in one piece, having fun was a distance second on my list.....

A boring run through taggerty (was pretty much over it by this stage, and onto the spur (actually had an amazing run not another bike in sight) and only 3 cars so this put a little spring back in my stride as i relived the good memories or a nice road a suitable speed....from there the hwy home and pulling in abour 9.20 to lenna open arms...wow what a day, i seriously knacked

I gotta go keep going on the reno for the bathroom so will post my pics tonight as photobucket is taking for ever to up load them :whistle:

Hop ethe rest of the group is having a blast up there in those hills, and wish i could be there with you all

Last edited:

farawayman

Long Timer
Well I'm back, I had to work today. :bang:
Please add your pictures and comments.

I will let the pictures do the talking.

Sunset Friday night on the way to Bruthen. I had to work Friday too
IMG_30260.jpg

IMG_30281.jpg

IMG_30322.jpg

On the road early, breakfast at Buchan five of us to do the dirt on the Barry Way.

IMG_30355.jpg

IMG_30394.jpg

IMG_30436.jpg

IMG_30547.jpg

IMG_30598.jpg

IMG_30629.jpg

IMG_306510.jpg

farawayman

Long Timer
Stopped for a breather at the school house Suggan Buggan.

IMG_306711.jpg

IMG_307712.jpg

More dirt and fantastic views.

IMG_308313.jpg

IMG_308614.jpg

Tracy showed up you guys that wimped out and did the sealed roads

IMG_309215.jpg

IMG_309416.jpg

IMG_309517.jpg

IMG_309618.jpg

IMG_309819.jpg

A few 4WD's, most were considerate, only one large group did not want to share the road.

IMG_310020.jpg

IMG_310422.jpg

IMG_310121.jpg

IMG_310723.jpg

IMG_310824.jpg

Choccoloco.

Getting the hang of it
Nice photo's. Love the barry way, but it does have some cautions as it can get busy.

I went down for the day, took the family in the car, said our hello's made a racket with at first a screaming 3 week old wanting food, then a terrible 2 going into top gear whinging & off we were again.

Here's a couple of pics.

Just after the boy was fed,
772936059_pvZcM-L.jpg

772934023_2iih9-L.jpg

772925987_6LTW8-L.jpg

772928647_tsTrB-L-1.jpg

Photographer in the making....
772927249_z56Pt-L.jpg

He'll be better than his old man
773094717_YCANd-L.jpg

farawayman

Long Timer
Good stuff Chocco, I didn't get any pictures of "bull shit corner". When I left it was flowing thick and fast with 12 guys trying to pump up one tire. :bs

farawayman

Long Timer
It was hot this side of the range and a welcome stop for lunch was had at Jindabyne. Down the Alpine way twisties where we saw a few members going the other way.

Did I mention it was hot?

IMG_311125.jpg

IMG_311226.jpg

IMG_311327.jpg

farawayman

Long Timer
Those of us that were camping spread out and found a tree for shade. A good feed at the Pub and a few quiet ones well rowdy ones really. Then back to the park for more lies.
Sunday morning

IMG_311728.jpg

IMG_311929.jpg

IMG_312030.jpg

IMG_312231.jpg

IMG_312332.jpg

Breakfast was put on by the local primary school mums :clap:
Then back to camp to watch a tyre being repaired, they where already an hour late :whistle:

Said my goodbyes, it was good to catch up with a few I had meet before and meet some new friends. I had to work Monday. :doh:

IMG_312533.jpg

IMG_312734.jpg

IMG_313035.jpg

IMG_313136.jpg

The local Ulysses club out for a ride.

IMG_313337.jpg

IMG_313438.jpg

IMG_313839.jpg

IMG_314140.jpg

Just before Granya one of those Harley Davidson mobile chicanes came the other way, riding well beyond their means. Met the lead rider half way round a tight left hander 2 feet over the line. The others were on mainly strait bits except the tail ender. Met him just as I was turning into a long right hand sweeper. I could see him and there was know reason why he couldn't see me. Hard on the throttle he got the shakes and came out wide, hugely wide. I could see the terror in his eyes as he realised our paths would meet. I took to the dirt between the road and the armco all at 100 km/h. I pulled over sweating and not from the heat. Considered chasing him, giving him a piece of my mind but realised the stupidity of that.
Headed off taking it very easy on the Granya Gap but knew I still shook up. I would rather take on some 4WD's on the dirt than any more idiots on Harley's so I ended up here for some reflection.

IMG_314742.jpg

IMG_314441.jpg

Lunch at Mytleford, then the dirt from Lake Buffalo to Whitfield, newly graded and graveled, bastards. Mansfield then a quick look at the top of the Paps and home.

IMG_315743.jpg

IMG_315944.jpg

IMG_316045.jpg

I had a great time and look forward to the next AusTouring Rally, good to meet you all and put some faces to names. Next time Glitch, not at the same time as a Hog rally please.

Mr.Farkles

Getting the hang of it
Great time, fantastic rides and good to meet old and new people. Here are some pics.

A non-smoking, but still a beer drinking Pete.:chug:
4305724942_f43f20cac5.jpg

the Shrek and Co.:icon-maffick-:
4305726952_3a2297dc0c.jpg

Scammells Ridge lookout. I just prayed that the platform held the weight of both bikes long enough to get the pics.:wow:
4304991051_52cf27bb16.jpg

and a ride around the place.
4304986769_0e6a10d809.jpg

4305737730_3867a23bae.jpg

4304997303_ef5caee261.jpg

4304999191_844a8aa572.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
Jo and I had to be different so while everyone else headed to East Gippsland on Friday night, we headed north, up the Hume to Wangaratta for the night. Saturday morning we headed down the Great Alpine Road, breakfast in Myrtleford, over Mount Hotham, fuelled up the bikes in Omeo and grabbed some lunch to carry with us. Then up to Benambra and up the Benambra-Corryong road.

About midway between Benambra and Corryong we passed a white wee strom, two up, travelling slowly in the dirt. Stopped shortly after to eat our lunch and I said to Jo, "white Vstrom, two up, heading towards Corryong... reckon that was Steve and Linda?". Jo's response... "nah.. that bike was going to slow". A few minutes later Steve arrived and proved her wrong.

Sunday we followed the main group, doing a nice loop through the Snowys.

Heading home Monday, we repeated the start of Sundays ride out to Jindabyne, then down Barry Way, quick break and a snack in Suggan Buggan and then a rest and another sandwich in Buchan. Cruising through Bruthen spotted 3 Stroms lined up outside a cafe and sure enough saw a few familiar faces. We took some backroads and skirted around the northern outskirts of Bairnsdale, and joined the #1 Hwy a few km out of Stratford where we spotted the 3 stroms in our mirrors. We decided to call it a day there and got a room at a motel.

Today we kept north of the #1 again, through Maffra, Tyers, detoured into Walhalla for breakfast, then up the South Face road to the Baw Baw summit then down the bitumen, dirt again from Noojee to McMahons creek, and home via Healesville.

Great weekend guys. Great to put some new faces to names and meet some old faces again and what a great turnout we had... and maybe next time I'll remember the names of those 3 strom riders !!!

Links to our pics
http://www.thisstupidurl.com/2010/AusTouringRally2010/

http://www.thisstupidurl.com/2010/Jo-AustouringRally/

Last edited:

Hytram

<-- now went that way
good to meet most of you, I only arrived Sundays so I missed some...

I think we should change the name of this place to AusStroming.com ...farq me :wow: :rofl:

anywho, here is my 3 day loop and have some photos to come

Top Bottom