AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #26
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Default Re: EuroFest 2019

Mon 8 (Mon)

So the riding comes to the end...today was a short one of 125km over the Passo Nigra which was just sublime with minimal traffic and a great flow, the run down to the valley way beautiful as ever. The run back up death road as we've nicknamed was tight but sums up the Alps so well... Just perfect.

The Alps... The love affair continues, I'll be back.

http://www.martyh.com/eurofest/Eurof... Mon 128km.gpx

The last harah... Dinner down at Bolzano via little train and Gondola... Oh Italy, oh don't want to leave.

Thanks to Eleanor, Brian, Clifford, David, Kasey and my wonderful wife Dimitra for a amazing 9 days.

Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #27
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post
yeah, it gets like that..

decided not to take a real camera, got offered to borrow a very, VERY nice lens for my Olympus 4/3rds and decided against it because I just knew that I wouldn't have the time to post process them when I got back like I use to do..
Yo, I also findi it increasingly difficult to shoot along the way and finding the time to process + weed the crop afterwards.

(Guess, that makes FB the winner with immediate crap-shot uploads and instant "uh-oh" responses, so all's done and dusted before dinner comes around.)

Quote:
must say these phones make it easy to take a panorama, just push a button and pan and see the result, not happy repeat, last time I was there it was take 11 photos, hope for the best, come home and stitch!!
...and for those who care, the difference is obvious. I've grown to hate those distorted Iphone panoramas with the same staraight piece of road being curved like spaghetti. Looks whoww the first time around, turning into a big yawn after the first dozen or so (as they're all the same).

Quote:
I forgot all about it, but the horse pics bought it back!..

so much of T2 is a blur
No surprise...we jam-packed a mountain of stuff into each and every day. Sometimes even I had to think which country we were in at the time

Quote:
here is the GPX for that Day in T2
www.martyh.com/eurofest/SEP-21-09 070131 PM.gpx
That's the one!
Man, the memories...the morning's traffic jam in the heat around Zurich, Goodie collecting a $250 ticket (unbeknownst at the time) somewhere around St. Gallen, then the (then just opened) Arlberg Tunnel ....and the confusion and split up of the group in the attempt to find that awesome guesthouse half way up the Ziller Valley Panorama Road.

One of the bunch (was that you/ Tassie-Dave?) ordered a "bourbon+coke" (or something like that) and none of the staff knew how to mix it... finally finishing with brewing up an absolute BOMB!...half+half in a 300ml softdrink glass.

Flipped the eyeballs that first night on the road
Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #28
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:

to be honest, I really read the group wrong, although I had ridden with them for a few laps of Tassie I had never led them and I might have projected my level of touring on them which is "Ride like its your last day ever, fall asleep face first into your dinner, wake up in the morning and repeat"

they were a 150km/day/alp crew and realistically a nice tottle through Tuscany probably would have suited the group more, I really had to tame the days down for the last few

Yup, that sounds like "Marty-touring"
As said before though...you've been there before and knew what to expect. Which greatly negates the massive impact of the roads/scenery/mountains/language/environs/signage/ traffic and a 100 other small, strange and distracting items along the way (and day). Accumulative, that's quite an impact and wears you down damn quick.

Nothing wrong with stepping down the pace (actually, there's a lot of good points to that)...but we both know that 250k's around that part of the world is a "BIG DAY!".
And that's for an "old hand"...

Quote:
... they just do touring differently and each to their own.

Quote:
the Rolle was superb and the Manghen has been totally resurfaced, still narrow but like a go-kart track, and It was being used for one of the stages in the rally from a few posts back. I had no idea that we had done it in T2, but when I saw this place it came back
Smooth? Blasphemy!
Takes all the fun out of it
Can't remember us doing the Rolle on T2, but the Manghen still sticks vividly...someone took a shot of me overshooting the last right hand hairpin before that hut at the top and very nearly landing on my arse. Face like a stunned mullet, too.

Quote:
I'm really glad I had the opportunity to do a day like that, I was knacked at the end though,
I bloody bet!
Oh what a feelin'....
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #29
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Nice loop!
And even better pics

WHOAAA!!

Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #30
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:

Mon 8 (Mon)
The Alps... The love affair continues, I'll be back.

The last harah... Dinner down at Bolzano via little train and Gondola... Oh Italy, oh don't want to leave.

Yo, you caught the bug real bad.
Another Alpeholic :-)
Great to see you went up the Rittnerhorn with the train/tram and gondola for those stumping views.

Quote:
Thanks to Eleanor, Brian, Clifford, David, Kasey and my wonderful wife Dimitra for a amazing 9 days.

Thanks to the bunch and yourself for taking us along for another gawk at one of the prime motorcycling spots on the globe... and some awesome pics to drool and dribble over.