2017 OzSTOC National Rally ........

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Yikes! That last lot of pics take a while to load. Do I need to re-do the links?

Day 10 went something like this, except for the last leg. There were some forecasts of some pretty awful weather in the hills, so rather than head to Delegate for the night we headed for Mallacoota.

Anyway, Greenwell Point to Milton Village for breakfast. Milton seems to have re-invented itself. The main industry seems to be cafés and eateries. There's no shortage. We chose the Driftwood, you could do worse.

Then via Narooma.

Then Central.

Then Bermagui.

Then on to Mallacoota.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Looks like I've been asleep, only two days to go.

Day 11 went something like this:

Would you think that 10 dry days on a bike was a big ask? How about 11? Overnight it rained, all morning it rained, not hard QLD style (who remembers the ride from Esk to Rainbow beach?). But enough to make it less enjoyable.

So, we took a leisurely stroll to a breakfast place, over the road from the pub, bacon & eggs and coffee were pretty good, slow walk back, packed the bikes, donned our wet gear, and headed to Orbost. Rained slowly eased and stopped by Orbost.

Whilst tucking into a pie and another coffee, I looked at the Michelin PR4 GT in the rear of the ST.

Shyte!!!! I'd given that a carvin' - would it get me home? Waddya guys reckon??

Phil reckoned, "Yeah", so we headed for Buchan, then Lakes Entrance for a late lunch. All the way, it played on my mind, "Will it, or won't", "Will it, or won't", I couldn't enjoy the ride.

Whilst stopped at Lakes I got onto the iPhone, sourced m/c tyre dealers in Bairnsdale, "What have you got in a 170 70 16 for an ST13? Can you fit tomorrow morning?"

"Nothing!"

"Nothing!"

"A Dunlop Road Smart. Yep".

Phil called me a Pussy, but I relaxed on the way to Bruthen, awe rrived around 3:00pm.

Bruthen, the Home of the Bullant. We have all been there now probably more times than we can remember (well for me anyway), but this was Phil's first time.

What could happen here? A Bullant Virgin, last night of our road trip, and Phil's birthday the next day.

We started and ended with a tasting paddle - with a difference. The difference was substituting the 4oz glasses for 20oz glasses, after two paddles each it was time to leave. Rude buggers stacked chairs on tables, fired up a loud vacuum cleaner, mopped the floors - we took the hint.

A few more schooners at the Bruthen Inn Hotel, a pizza and a bottle of an NZ Marlborough Plains dry white, and it was soon 10:00pm, time for a few zzzz's.

Day 12

At the tyre dealer at 8:00am helped him get a few bikes out of the workshop, left bike, met Phil in the Mall for breakfast, picked up bike with the new Dunlop. After a few km letting the tyre settle, then it was Beverly's Road, Briagalong, Tyers, Noojee (had to test the tyre).

Last stop was at the Diamond Creek Tavern for a birthday, end-of-ride, farewell beer.

Now to start planning the next one.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Quit the bloody burnouts then ......

I asked the tyre guy at Bairnsdale if he had any thoughts on the tyre wear.

"What pressure you running?"

"The Honda recommended 42PSI", I replied. (But I have put 'em up to 44PSI.)

"Too high, I've put 38PSI in it now", was the response. I didn't get too far (just riding around town) before I said to myself 38PSI was too low. So we stop at the Shell (with a big digital tyre pressure dial), and pull out my hand held VDO gauge - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, both show 32PSI.

:thun

Put in 42PSI for the ride home.

I posted a pic and asked a few questions on the OzSTOC forum. Thought the combined wisdom would help. But no, the responses varied from, pressure too high, pressure too low, you tow a trailer - what do you expect? The dispute I started nearly got me banned.

So I'm I none the wiser, and I had not towed the trailer in the 18 months and 16,000km that I had the PR4 (fitted it after Banarama 2016).

:bang:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
But no, the responses varied from, pressure too high, pressure too low, you tow a trailer - what do you expect? The dispute I started nearly got me banned.

:bang:

:killingme Nothing ever changes.
Tyres, oilz and a couple of reds ...and it's on for young and old :doh:

Top Bottom