Lake Cargelligo

nev

Super Térrarist
The FarRiders were meeting for Lunch at Lake Cargelligo. It's a place I've passed the signpost to, but never been, so no excuse like lunch to motivate me into getting up early on a Saturday.

The alarm was set for 3am, but as usual, big ride planned, can't sleep. I woke up around 2am and crawled out of bed soon after. A quick shower and then slid the thermals on and my bike gear. Checked the BOM website for conditions. Possible scattered showers in the riverina in the afternoon. I can deal with that.

3am I was at the local servo and fuelled up and on my way. I've done a few late night/early morning runs up the Hume Hwy, and never seen much wildlife. There were quite a few roos alongside the road between Kilmore and Broadford, but none that were on the road, or close enough to it to bother me. If I only used my lowbeam I probably wouldn't have noticed them at all. 4am I veered off the hume and up the Goulburn Valley Hwy. Only a few km along the fog descended. The next 150km was spent trying to peer through the fog to see the road ahead. All the way past Nagambie and Shepparton the fog was thick. It started to thin around Numurkah.

At 6am I refuelled at Finley. The fog on this side of the border was much thinner and occasionally sat above my head. By Jerilderie the sun was starting to peek over the horizon and I had ridden out of the fog.

IMG_20140524_070954.jpg

Anyone passing Coleambally would have seen the Bucyrus Erie Excavator. It was one of 4 similar machines used to dig all of the canals and channels in the area, and anyone who had ridden through this area would have marvelled at the number of channels and canals used for irrigation. This machine is on display but is maintained in working order

IMG_20140524_071827.jpg

I've never seen a cotton plant up close, so I detoured into a cotton farm near Darlington Point and had a closer look. The cotton here was in full bloom.

PANO_20140524_073634.jpg

It was only 9am when I got to Goolgowi, and the pub wasn't open. I had a great night at this pub 12 or 18 months ago when a bunch of FarRiders met up here on the Goolgowi Rissole Run. I didn't try the rissoles myself, but I've heard they're worth riding to Goolgowi for.

IMG_20140524_085547.jpg

Occasional Austourer Ron (haven't seen him posting here for a long time) was on his way to Lake Cargelligo too. I stopped in Hillston to check out the place and spotted him on his way past. He stopped for a chat. We marvelled at what a local had done to his Triumph Rocket III.

IMG_20140524_094514.jpg

Marvel at the car seat and the hand made fibreglass handguards.

It was a beautiful day in Lake Cargelligo. The town was much busier than I had expected. They have a beautiful lake.

PANO_20140524_104708.jpg

100 or so riders descended on the local sports club for a meetup and a chat. Lots of familar faces to me. The feed wasn't too bad either. Asssembling for a photo.

IMG_20140524_120344.jpg

After lunch I hit the road again, leaving right on 1pm. The car park was thinning out fast as riders started to head home.

Spotted a new Sikh temple in Griffith

IMG_20140524_143707.jpg

Had a poke around Darlington Point on my way through. I used to come here on holidays when I was a kid and I had cousins who lived here.

IMG_20140524_150205.jpg

Jerilderie is much better prepared for the next time Ned Kelly comes to town.

IMG_20140524_160605.jpg

This letterbox in Yarroweyah was too good to pass without taking a snap.

IMG_20140524_170954.jpg

And that was where the sun set and the camera was put away. One more stop for a feed in Shepparton and then home again at 8pm. And then a few hours later, a very long sleep :)

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Jaysuz, that's a big one day ride ! Thanks for posting.

I may be passing through that way next month. I've been told I have to go to Brisbane to attend a wedding (not mine, I'm happy with the one I've got), so thought I might ride up via Bourke.

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Thats a fantastic day ride Nev. Can see why you had a long sleep on your return. Great stuff! :clap:

Top Bottom