Ice Age.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Inspired by Pete’s recent thread of rides from the last ten years, I figured on the eve of the 10th Annual Frosty Frolic a look back was timely.

Looking back over the photos, I can’t help but smile at some of the memories, wonder what happened to some of the old gang and kick myself for not taking more photos…

If nothing else, the following should provide a good opportunity to laugh at how daggy we looked…:rofl:

The Frosty Frolic held mid winter is one of three annual weekend rides on the ride calendar of the OpenRoad Tourer - the others being the Feb Frolic (somewhat predicatibly held in February) and the Timbo's Tours held in November.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
2003: Frosty Frolic 1 – Boort

Sadly very few photos taken. A great mix of bikes including an Aprilia Futura, three or so BMW, my original Tiger, a HD Sportster and many Jappas.

We stayed at the Railway. Pic taken when I pre-rode on my long suffering ZZR-1100.

Sean had only recently purchased the R100RS. Keep an eye out for what it became in future ride reports.

From Montrose to riverside lunch in Echuca.

We continued north toward Swan Hill before cutting down to Boort.

We stopped to play tourist.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
2004: Frosty Frolic 2 – Rutherglen

Once again, not enough photos taken.

Our numbers had grown. We now had 2 HD, lots of BMW, the usual Jappas and my Bimota YB-11.

Once again, Montrose to riverside lunch in Echuca.

Yes, I’m still wearing the same, jacket, boots, pants and back pack…

From Echuca we zig-zagged across to Rutherglen.

From patchy memory it was a big night. Bernie Blackbird the morning after.

Run-a-muck Ray.

World’s biggest grapevine at Chiltern. Not surprisingly, most were suitably unimpressed.

Morning-tea?

Last edited:

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
popcorn.gif

Sir Francis

Displaced person
2005: Frosty Frolic 3 – Apsley

More riders, more variety of bikes and more photos.

Meet point Shell West Gate. Miss KT’s Bimota Mantra and my Hornet streetfighter in the background.

Famous Rog had only just moved from a CBR600F to a 954 Blade after a only taking up riding a couple of years prior in his 50s. I mean this as the highest compliment - when I get old, I wanna be like Famous Rog.

Lunch in Halls Gap. We stayed overnight in Apsley.

Another very big night. Local footer celebrations and all.

First up Sunday we jumped across the border to make sure SA was still there.

Uncle Rod and his then new R1100S.

Most of the gang.

Arty shot in Harrow before back roads led to Halls Gap.

I’ve always had a difficulty buying a helmet that fits…

Sir Francis

Displaced person
2006: Frosty Frolic 4 – Buchan.

Our first wet wet wet Frosty Frolic. Too wet for a lot of photos.

The bikes at Neerim South. I’d replaced the Hornet with my much loved Daytona. Run-a-muck Ray had treated himself to a Boxer Cup, Colin still had the Firestorm, Famous Rog was still on the 954 and Bernie Blackbird was punting his original bird.

Not a good sign on any ride. Of course I never heard the end of it Saturday night, but not Triumph’s fault – I blame the gumby mechanic (me) who forgot to tension the battery lead…:rofl:

We stayed at

Food options were pretty limited so Miss KT drove down in our Pug and we cooked up an Indian feast.

Did I mention it was wet?

The owner of the backpackers almost throttled Colin for using some of his 2 year old newspaper pile to dry our boots…

Sunday was a miserable day. Buchan to home via Foster.

Uncle Rod, was very proud to be a R1100S owner.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2005: Frosty Frolic 3 – Apsley

Meet point Shell West Gate. Miss KT’s Bimota Mantra and my Hornet streetfighter in the background.

- when I get old, I wanna be like Famous Rog.

Apsley? Where the hell is Apsley?

Is that the Mantra in the foreground? Looks like the Bimota-favoured Ducati-donk...never heard of the thing :clap:

:eek: How old is Famous Rog then?? :bees::guff

Love those pics...especially the older ones.
Shows, how far things have come in such little time.

Top Bottom