A Visit to Tibet & Everest Base Camp - on a bike!?

AceRider

Wee Strom 650 ABS
I took a picture of this on my recent trip to Tibet & Everest Base Camp

This is not a motorcycle ride report - with encouragement from Glitch, i thought i share these phots with you as most of us dream of doing a MC tour to Tibet - i only wish i tour tibet by MC this time.

MCs+Everest.jpg

That Peak in the background is Mt Everest as viewed from the Tibetan/Chinese side.

For those who are interested this is the link to their site
http://www.himalayanmotorcycletours.com/index.htm
One of the rider told me their 13 day itenary cost about UK 4000 pounds, which i think is quite reasonable. Their itenaries are very similar to ours except it runs in reverse order

Everest+Base+Camp.jpg

Last edited:

AceRider

Wee Strom 650 ABS
The Following is our 13 day journey into Tibet and Everest Base Camp.

Just as background information - The Chinese has closed Tibet to foreigners until April this year following unrest last year.

We took the first opportunity to vist Tibet (May) -just 4 days after this year's Urunga Vstrom meeting. Our Journey starts in Chengdu. We took the train into Lhasa, stay for 3 days then make our way towards Everest Base Camp before returning to Lhasa and flying back to Chengdu.

The cost for us not including the airfare flying into China is about Au$2050 per person. This includes accomodation, meals, all entry fees, tips, hire of a landcruiser, tibetan driver and Chinese guide - basically everything included. This price is about half what we would have to pay if we book a large group tour in Australia, but is still about double of what local chinese would pay. This is because the chinese government insist that any foreign national just be accompanied by a dedicated tour guide and driver, even for a group of only two!

If you are going to Tibet, try using internet and deal direct with local Tibetan and Chinese tour companies - a lot cheaper that way!

Here is the account written by my wife -

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Last edited:

AceRider

Wee Strom 650 ABS
barkhor.jpg

The Barkhor བར་སོར八廓is an area of narrow streets around the Jokhang temple.
It is the heart of the Tibetan old town.

--------

pilgrim-1.jpg

For Tibetain pilgrims, their reasons for visiting the Holy City is some what different to the average Western tourist. Their principle points of orientation are the 3 koras (pilgrimage circuits): Nangkhor, Barkhor and Lingkhor. This pilgrim is doing the Barkhor kora which encircles the Jokhang. For Tibetans, pilgrimage refers to the journey from ignorance to enlightenment. The Tibetan word for pilgrimage, neykhor, means "to circle around a sacred place”. By travelling to sacred sites, Tibetans are brought into living contact with the icons and energies of Buddhism. The sacred sites remind pilgrims of the liberating power of the Buddhist tradition. Some pilgrims travel thousands of miles (over up to 3/4years) to get to pilgrimage sites.

--------
pilgrim-2.jpg

Prostration is an important expression of Tibetan devotion. To earn merits,Tibetan pilgrim prostrate the length of their bodies along the entire length of the kora. They raise their hands in prayer, touch their hands to the forehead (representing the mind), mouth(speech) andchest(body) , and lay face-down on the ground, stretching out their arms and legs, then standup, take 3steps and repeat the process again. This particular pilgrim is prostrating his body along the entire length of this Barkhor kora.Some pilgrims make pilgrimages over long distances, from one religious site to another,by covering the entire distance in a series of prostrations. This can take several years

AceRider

Wee Strom 650 ABS
Slide13.JPG

Let me tell you Yak Tea taste horrible - Tsampa almost cause me to throw up - but i suppose you have try things at least once. One tip, if you have been invited by a tibetan, ask to drink "sweet Tea", it is more drinkable and taste closer to milk tea we drink

Slide14.JPG

Slide15.JPG

Slide16.JPG

Slide17.JPG

A close up - he was the most lively debating lama
Slide18.JPG

lama+debate.jpg

AceRider

Wee Strom 650 ABS
The Grant Potala Palace
The Potala Palace was the winter residence of each successive Dalai Lama, until the 14th Dalai Lama fled to India in 1959 during the cultural revolution. The Chinese government has converted this fortress-like structure into a museum. It houses the tombs of previous Dalai Lamas and many other Buddhist treasures.Altitude:3700m

Its securty measures rivals that of international airports after many thefts from tourists. No liquid/ X ray machine as well as body search!!!

potala+palace.jpg

Top Bottom