A frosty Day to Longwood

goodie

It's been too long between rides! I'm itching to go - the invite to Longwood lunch with the Open Road Tourers is very tempting...... but the morning is sooooo cooold... :cold:
Should I? Shouldn't I? Aaaah, lets go!

Last edited:

goodie

Pete and I are going on our own, meeting the group in Longwood. We want to explore some little roads along the way. The first hour is only transit - and anyway, the fingers are too cold to hold the camera - but then: the first rays of sunshine trying their best

Longwood_M_01.JPG

Longwood_M_02.JPG

Last edited:

KingStrom

Long Timer
You guys were keen, Shane and I headed out later in the day to Glenlyon General store for lunch and it was a bit fresh even then and we left home at noon!!!lol

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Heated grips??

Bwhahahahaaaa

Forget 'em !!:evil:

They might as well melt the rubber, but there ain't no ounce of warmth coming through on a crunchy morning of crackling, white paddocks at Yarra Glen on one of the shortest days of the year.

Not much better on the Killingsworth Rd. out the back of Yea, skimming just above the low river flats of the Goulburn River and its dormant arms and lagoons.

Longwood_01.JPG

But what a sweet road it is....here some of the shortish sealed section.

Longwood_03.JPG

Longwood_04.JPG

Impressive!

Longwood_02.JPG

Above the river-flats on the Molesworth-Caveat gravel.

Longwood_05.JPG

There's some promise amongst the fog and huge granite boulders...yo, we're in 'bogie-country!

Longwood_06.JPG

The fog is finally losing the battle....the magic starts here! :glu:clap:

Longwood_07.JPG

Longwood_08.JPG

Longwood_09.JPG

Longwood_10.JPG

Longwood_11.JPG

Longwood_12.JPG

The bustling metropolis of .....Caveat!!

Longwood_13.JPG

Longwood_14.JPG

Longwood_16.JPG

Longwood_17.JPG

I'm getting to like this lil' Husky!! :eek::eek::chug:

Longwood_15.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Typical Strathbogies...boulder country!
And balm for the soul with empty roads and farmtracks, and a near total absence of people and traffic of any kind!! :drool:
Just north of Terip Terip

Longwood_18.JPG

Tacking north

Longwood_19.JPG

Longwood_20.JPG

Longwood_21.JPG

Dancing the bends on the Longwood-Ruffy Rd.

Longwood_22.JPG

Nature-built

Longwood_24.JPG

Human-built

Longwood_25.JPG

Looks like they'll be popping the roof-nails at the White Hart Pub in Longwood soon...

Longwood_26.JPG

Thanks to the OpenRoad Tourers for an enjoyable lunch, the laughs and yarns...a happy hour-and-a-half filled with
stories of bikes and travels, roads and places.
(sorry to hear that an another Strom bit the dust on their way home, at least the rider came out of it with just a bit of bark lost and some bits that'll turn
pretty colourful soon).

Turning back towards home, the sun is hiding behind a thin veil of clouds, everything turns pale, opaque or pastel.
Gap Rd. climbs into the nearby hills.

Longwood_27.JPG

Past Upton Hill and it's wind-turbine, Upton Rd. follows along the spine of a line of hills past an ever increasing sprawl of vineyards.
The views to the north and south are spectacular, even on a not-quite-perfect day.

Longwood_28.JPG

Longwood_29.JPG

Longwood_31.JPG

The easy gravel...and magic views... continue along Tarcombe Rd.

Longwood_30.JPG

...while the Wickett Hill isn't a wicked hill anymore.
It hasn't lost any of its charme, though... which also includes a short but rough-ish, shallow + slimy-slippery creek-crossing, just enough to keep most roadie-riff-raff out :bt:bees:

The near invisible, deep, sandy patch at the bottom of the hill has been stabilized with some coarse rock...no more "shiaaat" and eyes-like-dunny-lids anymore.

Longwood_32.JPG

Longwood_33.JPG

Longwood_35.JPG

Longwood_36.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hughes Creek

Longwood_37.JPG

Longwood_39.JPG

Longwood_41.JPG

It's been yet another fabulous Strathbogies/ Switzerland Ranges tootle, a million miles away from the daily grind, noise, panic, rush and tension....and yet only a couple of hours from Melbourne.

The Highlands Rd. to Ghin Ghin and Yea is a fitting lead-out, the light of the late afternoon painting the hills and boulder-piles into a grey-pink, flocks of sheep moving as slow as the clouds... some dead, white trees reaching into the skies.
Fingers turn white and numb again while flowing with the returning weekend traffic.... pink hills turning to grey, grey turning to black.

Longwood_42.JPG

'til next time!

Top Bottom