AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 13-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default 2005...TassieGems #1

Typing this "#1, #2..." it sometimes feels like all of those rides were "designed as mini-series", sequelled, pre-designed etc....they weren't!

It just happened to morph that way whenever another ride into the same general area was "hitting the boards".

2005 Tassie Gems....a week on the Apple Isle.

Still riding the incredible buzz of the NZ-trip, it just HAD to be another 'southern island" and when the call went out. they came 'in droves".

Tassie Gems also turned into the last "NetRider" ride.

A fairly big group this time around....and the infamous "bowling-shirts" put the Tassie-Gems into the history books for good.

Let's try to get them all together....there was Garry on the Peg....Loz on the Hornet9...Matt232 on the Blade (that years later turned into Tim's) after he decked it on the Whitfield Rd....Guenther (gunner) now on the only metallic-grey Vee in Oz, which later turned into the very first WTF...Nev on the Kwaka ZX12 busting the radiator on the Strathgordon Rd..... Jo on the F650GS (or was it still the Scarver?)....Goodie on the Peg...Jason still on the Viffer, I think....and Deano on the black VTRthou...Andrew?? on the yellow SV...Tim on the KiloGixx...Marty on the VEE...Karel (carver) on the VEE...myself on the VEE....Sasha on the Guzzi or the Hyundai??...Tassie-Dave on the Tiger and TimTim on the CapoNord joined in for a couple of days...man, it was quite a sight on the road.

The group split on some days....the "Pigs" did the Western Explorer and Jacobs Ladder/ Ben Lomond and a few other gravel roads.
Guenther's Strom blew the intake-boot off the throttle body in the bush above Upper Blessington.
For once, nobody decked it on a "NetRider-ride"

Loz on the Strathgordon Rd.

The patch coming loose on Nev's ZX12 after a stone had punctured it. Got him into Hobart, though.

Under the belly of the Hornet

Guenther and Deano on the Mt. Wellington Rd.

Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Lookout

"No more crotchless, yer bastards!!"

Chairlift ATGATT

WOT?? Another beer?

Dinner in ...??? Where the hell was it? (Last night somewhere up the North Coast)

What he's best known for....anytime, anywhere!!

Man, it was stupid fun!!

The RR is a bit of a disjointed effort now, with Marty's pics missing in the first part as his site is offline or the folders deleted.... Loz never added pics in the first place, some overlapping bits and days....I'll post the links to both parts here.

Part 1 (no pics, great yarn!!)
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795

Part 2 (with all the fruitsalad :-)
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796
Old 13-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #47
nev
Super Térrarist

Default Re: 2005...TassieGems #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Tassie Gems also turned into the last "NetRider-Forum" ride.
By the time the RideReport was written (originally started by Loz) AusTouring was only a few weeks away.
Ahh I remember that one well. I decked my ZX12R less than a week before departure date and had to get it patched up to make it rideable. From memory it just needed some gaffer tape to stop fairing flapping a new clutch cover and I took off the damaged helibars and put the stock bars back on. The bike matched the rider because I was nursing a few cracked ribs all through the trip. Reported the accident but made up some excuse to stall the insurance assessor from viewing the bike before the trip and when we got back 3000km later the bike was assessed and the insurance company wrote it off.
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #48
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: 2005...TassieGems #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post

Guenther ...on the only metallic-grey Vee
Marty on the VEE...
Karel (carver) on the VEE...
myself on the VEE....

Just look at it!!!

All guys on REAL BIKES back then, not those wannabe, tiddly, dinkytoy-WEEs pffft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post

I decked my ZX12R less than a week before departure .....
nursing a few cracked ribs all through the trip.
Ribs, bikes...there was always somethin' busted
Smart move...getting another 3000k's out of it
What came next?
Not the Strom yet? Wasn't there another Kwaka in between?
Old 13-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #49
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default 2005...December_ High Country

Only got a few pics of this one and can't even remember it.

No idea who else was along....but here's Goodie (Eggnogg, 'cause of the yellow helmet, panniers on the bike...which looks narrow enough to be a Peg.)

That's Karel (carver)

Marty...and that looks pretty much like the Cabramurra-Khancoban Rd. near the Tooma Reservoir, one of the last bends on the eastern side of the dam wall.

And Sasha on the Guzzi?

Perhaps someone else can comment with more details...according to file dates, it would've been between X-mas and New Year.
Old 13-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #50
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default 2006...Yea/ Strath Creek

Early Jan....a day-ride north of Melbourne.

Yea

Going by the bikes...L to R : Karel.... yours truly.... a mate of Karel's on Karels old 250 (forgot the name)...mmmmm, oh yeah, John's FJR which he bought after falling off the Strom because it was too high, then fell off the FJR because it was too heavy...and Goodie's Peg.

Murchison Lookout above Strath Creek