Tassie Our Way

farawayman

Long Timer
Today we do from Burnie, through Somerset, Cradle Mountain, Sheffield and end up at Launceston

Burnie
tassie395.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

tassie412.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

tassie419.jpg

tassie417.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

gunner

What a fantastic writeup .First time to Tassi last year brings back so many memorys. :) :)
Beautiful Picture.
Well done and keep going :D
Guenther

farawayman

Long Timer
gunner said:
What a fantastic writeup .First time to Tassi last year brings back so many memorys. :) :)
Beautiful Picture.
Well done and keep going :D
Guenther

Thanks mate, I need to download some more pictures. I will get back to this as soon as I can.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
This is great !!
Thanks for all those pics and the story to go with it.
I might have to split the whole thing into 2 parts though...even on cable it's a while to load up :D

More, more, more ...!!! :)

farawayman

Long Timer
I have to get my camera battery charged so it’s off to find a camera shop that’s kind enough to do the deed. Also time to burn some pictures to CD. The cards are full. The worst problem is that it will take a couple of hours of precious daylight. I had to do this in Hobart but the camera is flat again. I can usually go away for a week or two and not have to charge my camera but when in Tasmania you just seem to be dragging the camera out a lot more often.

But first, a cruse up Cataract Gorge

tassie468.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

And later a walk up the Gorge and an excellent Devonshire tea was had.
IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

tassie497.jpg

tassie534.jpg

farawayman

Long Timer
Sorry this is taking so long I tried to finish it over the weekend a few times but it’s just got too much for dial up. I will have to do it here at work if I can get a moment when the boss is not looking.

farawayman

Long Timer
Today I woke up wanting pancakes, Elephant Pass pancakes. Not that I had ever had them before but I wanted to catch a few roads that we had missed and Pancakes for lunch sounded good.

Today was a do what you want day so I made the suggestion but no one was keen. The boys wanted to head up the Tamar valley and do the excellent mine museum at Beaconsfield and see some submarine that was heading out to sea. She that must be obeyed didn’t want to ride to far and besides it looked like a blustery day.

So that’s it, I’m by myself. I didn’t get away till late morning so I had better keep it moving. I was pushing the limits down main highway and the cars seemed to stay out of my way. Evan got a wave from a cop a bit south of Perth that seemed to give me their blessing. Sometimes there are benefits in riding a white bike.

Turn of at Conara and follow the Esk valley with its longish straits and sweeping bends. Probably a boring road for Tassie if one stuck to the speed limits but I was enjoying it. Caught up to a WRX with a pushbike on the roof that suddenly slowed and let me passed but then sat behind me as we carved up the valley. It was fun glancing in the mirrors and watching that bike move around on the roof. I fully expected to see it fly off the back or at lest come down hard on the roof as we pushed it a little harder though the curves. But when the road tightened up the Mr. WRX backed off.

Straight through St Mary’s and on down St Mary’s pass, stopping only long enough to take this.
IMG_3804.jpg

Before doing a u-turn and back up the pass. Then off down Elephants Pass only to be stopped by this.
IMG_3806.jpg

Well it is lunch time.
IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

After the best pancake ever (sorry Mum) it was down Elephants Pass and down the highway through Bicheno didn’t stop I'm off to do Iffracem’s dream road. http://www.austouring.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91
And he’s right, what a great road, only saw one car. I just had it to myself. Although it was a bit damp, I stayed dry behind the fairing, and the road stayed grippy.
Met Highway 1 at Campbell Town but stayed with it only for a couple of k’s. I’m heading for the Great Western Tiers but I’m not sure the weather will hold. Time to stop for a warm drink and wait for some rain to pass at Poatina. It’s getting cold and I’m missing my coat liner. I didn’t think it was going to get too cold today.
The rain stops and I’m off up those lovely switchbacks of the Great Western Tiers to
IMG_3811.jpg

The views not great.
IMG_3813.jpg

Neither is the weather
IMG_3814.jpg

The Temperatures not good either
IMG_3810.jpg

I’m struck with the what’s around the next corner syndrome? And probably I should have headed home but I’m off to see what the Great Lake looks like.
IMG_3816.jpg

I head deeper into unknown highlands. I can remember seeing on the map (I forgot to bring it with me) a road around the Great Lake and back down the escarpment to Golden Valley and Deloraine. I stop for a leak, which couldn’t be far from the turn off and get something floating around inside my helmet and open my visor right up to get rid of it and to my disgust its not a bug, its white and there is many more of them floating around outside my helmet.
I thinks it’s time to head back to Launceston and a hot bath.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
farawayman said:
and get something floating around inside my helmet and open my visor right up to get rid of it and to my disgust its not a bug, its white and there is many more of them floating around outside my helmet.
I thinks it’s time to head back to Launceston and a hot bath.

Sounds like a sensible idea under the circumstances...decontamination-chamber as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom